1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

All in a "jays" work!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

Lovin' my new D300!! :biggrin: All shots taken yesterday (Labor Day) while at work chasing my Scrub-jays!

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hiccupping posture, which only females do.
    View attachment 247047

Another hiccupping female
    View attachment 247048

Florida Scrub-jays main diet is acorns, of which an individual will hide as many as 2000 or more in a year.
    View attachment 247049

View attachment 247050

Took a trip to Viera after work- only shots I took were of these BB Whistlers. Sky was kinda washed out yesterday, think it's time to learn how to replace it!
    View attachment 247051

2. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great images. These are beautiful birds. Are some of them banded? Do you know why?

3. Nice shots....

hey yeah wow - look at that - four of them appear to be banded for some reason or another :) 

4. Very nice Thomas. You're going to love every minute with the D300.

5. Thanks Art and Paul. I'm a research tech for the Forida Scrub-jay Project on Cape Canaveral AFS. Many of the birds out there are banded. As part of the study most were fitted with multiple color bands to easier identify individuals within family groups. Data is collected regarding which ones are females, who are the breeders, who are the helpers, juveniles etc... The one non-banded bird in this series is a juvenile, hatched this year. He's still got a bit of gray head feathers molting off, soon he will be undetectable from the adults.
    For this year, we have not banded any of the birds. I try to photograph more non-banded birds for purist reasons, but then I feel bad for the other guys! :frown: So I shoot them too! :smile:

6. Way cool Thomas - thanks for the info!

7. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Nice series of Jay shots Tom, and interesting to hear a bit about them and your research!

8. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Lovely shots, Tom, of one of my favorite birds. Somehow scrub jays just seem smarter than other birds, maybe due to their socialness (socialability?) and their willingness to get practically right up in your grill to check you out.

Hope to meet up with you at Viera one day to compare scrub jay calls :biggrin: (although I have a hard time doing it without spitting :eek: )

Funny; your scrub jay shots make me homesick, but I'm already home!

9. Billh

Billh

Jan 26, 2008
    Northern, VA
    These are beautiful. The scrub jays are quite pretty, and different from the guys we have here in VA.

Bill

10. Thanks Steve, Bill form commenting.

As members of the corvid family, they are pretty intelligent birds. As a rule, we don't encourage the "in your grill" behavior found elsewhere in Florida, as that is generlally fostered by the public constantly feeding them. However, there are individual personalities among them and some are less shy than others.
    Still trying to perfect the hiccupping call but I found it easier to just constantly click my pen! :wink::biggrin:

11. Beautiful series. Thanks for the info on the scrub jays too. Enjoy your D300!!

12. tektite

tektite

Jan 23, 2006
    SE NH
    Nice shots Tom. Also noticed the band.

Gary

13. Love your scrub jays Thomas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.