All in the Eyes-Early AM Burrowing Owls

You have seen some of the burrowing owl shots that Jim and I captured on the evening, here are a few from very early the next morning. The first is 5:48 AM, the last about 7:05 AM. Two things I found very interesting was the eye dilation, as well as the effect the light had on the color and texture of the owls.

This first shot the sun had not cleared the field of corn which is directly to the left of the Owl, the corn must have been 8-10ft high.

1. First shot of the day, not much color, especially lacking in the yellow of the eyes.:
p2458611114-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then we had owls move to the same set of perches we photographed the evening prior, as the light comes up over the corn it is to the left and a bit behind the owls, from our vantage point. You can see a bit more color from the left side, and we see more yellow on the eyes.
2. Sun peeking over the top, 6:15AM:
p2458611112-5.jpg

3. I SEE you guys, early morning wink ;):
p2458611116-5.jpg

1/2 hour later, at 6:45AM, light has come up quite a bit, we are still oriented and shooting the same direction.

4. Sitting on a Green Bush:
p2458611197-5.jpg

5. 15 minutes later, same bush other side:
p2458611223-5.jpg

Last shot of the morning, one of the owls flew around us to land on a pile of hay. We now have the sun behind us to the right, what a difference it makes, eh?

6. 7:05AM, we are done for the morning
p2458611113-5.jpg

When I was looking at these pictures I was fascinated by the eyes as the light changed. An amazing, but understandable, range of dilation. I even like a few of these. The 1st one makes me think almost of winter, the last one, of summer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom