All is well after Ike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yvette, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Well we made it through the storm. But it was very scary. Hope I don't go through anything like that again. But we were very fortunate and did not have any damage to our house, just a couple of bushes fell over and a big mess to clean up. But some neighbors were not so lucky - a lot of damage. Kingwood has so many trees and obviously a lot of them were old because there are downed trees everywhere. We still don't have any power/phone so I came into my hubbie's office to quickly check in with everyone. I did take pictures but will have to post them once the power is back on at home. The morning after the storm my son and I found a baby squirrel so we took it in (having rehabilitated squirrels before) and the next day we set out to find food for it. Nothing was open but we took a chance and went to a local pet store. The owner just happened to be there and gave me two cans of puppy milk and bottles. While we were there another woman drove up with 3 squirrels.....so guess who took them? Anyway, to cut a long story short, word got out that I was taking in squirrels and I now have 14.:biggrin: Unfortunately 5 of them did not make it but the ones I have are thriving. A lot of people have taken them in thinking that they are so cute and are going to keep them as pets but unfortunately they are not feeding them the correct thing and by the time I get them it is too late. So this has been keeping me quite busy but I am loving it. Up every 3 hours at night so needless to say I am a little tired. I can't wait to post pics of the little ones.

Thanks to everyone for your concern and it is good to be back. Hopefully my internet will be working next week. Children are "tentatively" going back to school on Thursday. I guess their summer vacation is going to be cut short next year so they can catch up. Shops are slowly getting back to normal. You still have to wait in line for gas though. I can't wait for everything to be back the way it was.

Bye for now....
    from the "squirrel lady".

2. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Power just came back on....woo hoooooooo!!!!!

3. That is great to hear Yvette, what a wonderful person you are looking after the squirrels!!

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Glad to hear your power is back on, Yvette.

5. Glad you made it through Eyvette. Yea, no power sucks.
    Tim

6. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I'm happy to hear you got your power back. I got mine back the other night and It was very welcomed. I have a whole bunch of fat and happy squirrels on my property. I guess that comes from them raiding the dog's bowl loaded with Science Diet dog food.:biggrin:

The other good thing is that I have a fresh stock of firewood for the next few years.

7. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks everyone. It is good to be back here. I was really getting tired of having no internet access. But now I am so busy with the squirrels I probably won't have time to go on it anyway. Tomorrow I hope to have a little time to upload some pics of the squirrels and Ike damage. It is just so good to have some air conditioning again...especially at night. But the mosquito's are unbelieveable. You can't walk outside without getting swarmed.

Joe, good to hear all was okay during the storm. If I need some firewood I know who to contact :biggrin: We didn't have any trees come down so we didn't get that. But isn't it nice to have everything back to normal again? So nice to see all the traffic lights working and no line at the gas station.

Until tomorrow.....

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Yvette...

I too survived that horrible storm. It was a bit scarey. I spent the duration of the time in the closet thinking my roof was going to fly off any moment. I had never seen wind that strong and for long periods of time. I just wanted it to be over with.

Thank goodness all is well with you and your family.

9. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Hi Seneca,
    I am glad to hear that you and your family all made it through okay. I have never been through a storm like that and I hope I never have to again. It was quite an experience for my kids too. My eldest (in High school) just went back to school today and the boys (elementary and middle school) only go back on monday. They were VERY glad to have cable again today. It will be nice to sleep in a cool house tonight.

10. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Hey, welcome back, Squirrel Lady! Glad all is well for you and congratulations of your new squirrel family. REALLY looking forward to some squirrel photos!

Maybe you could trade some of your squirrels for some of Joe's firewood?

11. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    :biggrin: Good idea Pia. I now have 19 of them so a trade might be a good idea. thanks for the welcome back. I am going to try and post some pics today.

12. Jester4176

Jester4176 Guest

Good to hear everyone survived and families are safe. We were without power for 9 days, although I had a generator running fridges and fans. Burned through a TON of gas, but wasn't that bad. Our house is surrounded by pines, yet we somehow escaped without damage. Didn't even lose a shingle off the roof. My grandmother and mom both live in Spring and are still without power. Today makes 14 days for them. At least it's been somewhat cool, so it's been tolerable.

13. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Glad to hear that you and your family are all okay. Our neighbor has a dead pine tree right next to our house so we were just waiting for it to come down but somehow it managed to stay up. Hope your grandmother and mom get power soon. It looks like they have finally started picking up debris in Kingwood.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.