All the ways to get to 300mm and a new way (for me)

Real Name
Randy
My personal preference has been

1. 300/4 (if i know i won't need a TC I love this lens for it's eas of use and amazing IQ)
2. 300vr
3. 70-300vr

and now a new kid on the block (for me) is the 70-200 V2 + 1.4TC (I know it's only 280mm)
I saw some of Harry B's shots with this lens with a TC so while I was at The Aligator Farm last weekend I tried it. I was frankly worried because I used it so much I was afraid I might be surprised when I got home. I was, pleasantly.
This combo has a huge advantage at places like The Aligator Farm where birds are very close or sorta far away and this changes very fast all day long.

btw, I never liked the 70-200V1 with a TC

D300s + 70-200vr2 + 1.4TC 240mm f/7.1 1/640 iso400

1243140710_FnsJQ-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

btw, I never liked the 70-200V1 with a TC
Me neither...and have to agree with you on it's application with the VR II, Randy
I especially like it on FX, keep it in my pocket if my rodeo access is limited. Nice shot, dude! :biggrin:

Real Name
Randy
Nice example Randy. Feather detail looks great. BTW, I have no issues with IQ when using my 70-200 VR1 with the 1.4TC.

thx rich

yea but you don't cnt....you also get great stuff from an old 300 2.8 and the old 2x tc so it's obviously you and not the gear:smile:
and you shoot the 80-400 for dog action:smile:

Real Name
Randy
Good job Randy,
Your V2 seems to handle that TC very well.

thx Sylvia

Great combo and currently the only way for me to get beyond 200mm - look forward to some more!

thx Dom....i have a post in the bird forum with a few of the shots I've PPed already and i think most if not all were with the 70-200 + tc

Me neither...and have to agree with you on it's application with the VR II, Randy
I especially like it on FX, keep it in my pocket if my rodeo access is limited. Nice shot, dude! :biggrin:

thx Will
i had tried the 70-200v2 + tc for waterskiing and learned the secret then, don't crop alot and everything is good

Very nice feather detail Randy. I haven't tried ANY TC's on my VRII yet but I'm interested. Is there a big difference in IQ between the Nikon TC vs. the Kenko TC?

Real Name
Randy
Very nice image. That sounds like a great combination.

thanks Art

Great image, Randy. Love the pose you captured. And I too agree its a good combo. The 1.7 TC not so much though.

thanks

Super image Randy and thanks for the input on this combo.

thanks louie

Very nice feather detail Randy. I haven't tried ANY TC's on my VRII yet but I'm interested. Is there a big difference in IQ between the Nikon TC vs. the Kenko TC?

thanks Joseph, I haven't tried anything but the newer Nikons

looks like a great result, are your next step trying the 2.0 III ?

thanks, nope, I'm still not ready to try the 1.7:smile: on a zoom, i don't even like the 1.7 on something like the 500/4
fyi: I hate TC-s and I try not to use them. I only use them when I can't get a shot any other way so for me to post this thread says alot about the new 70-200 VR2

my usual rule of thumb
1. NO tc-s on zooms
2. 1.4 tc on f/2.8 or f/4 primes only
3. 1.7 on f/2.8 primes only
4. NO 2x tc

I recently bought a 300 F4 and a TC 1.4 and frankly I don't need the TC, the 300 gives me get shots so if I have to crop in I still get great res. Now I have used the TC on my 70-200mm VRII and I rather shoot with the 300 alone.
Heres a shot using the 300mm F4
5582773035_60674d1fba_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rebuilding by Weekend_Shooter, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres some great shots there Randy

Can I just clarify though - do you mean that you'll tend to reach for the 300 f/4 before the f/2.8 VR? Or am I misinterpreting your statement? Its been a long week... :wink:

Real Name
Randy
Theres some great shots there Randy

Can I just clarify though - do you mean that you'll tend to reach for the 300 f/4 before the f/2.8 VR? Or am I misinterpreting your statement? Its been a long week... :wink:

thx & yes

if i know i will stay at 300 (and not need a tc) i often prefer the 300/4 (I guess i'm getting old)
i almost never shoot birds wide open so at f/8 or so the 300/4 & 300vr are close in IQ

now start adding TC-s and the iq gap grows fast

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom