All Weather & Underwater Nikon 1 Body Announced

Just found the answer. "For further versatility when out of the water, the Nikon 1 AW1 is also fully compatible with the expanding lineup of incredibly sharp 1 NIKKOR lenses, Nikon 1 accessories, as well as a wide range F-Mount NIKKOR lenses when connected to the FT-1 Mount Adapter."

This is awesome...

IsamuM

Not-quite-
This actually looks interesting for anybody who likes the outdoors. I can see a number of uses for this.

Well it's good to see that Nikon has learned from the One past and doesn't make the same mistakes again:
  • Razorsharp introduction price of $800 giving the competitors a run for their money
  • Not a crippled camera only intended for consumers, but this one's made with the professional in mind: rated for a full 49 (count them, fourty nine) feet under water!

Well, if you want to shoot underwater with a great Nikon camera there's always Nikonos. Is full frame, too...

I'm not interested in this camera in the slightest, but I guess on one hand it's good to see nikon innovating and thinking outside the square. On the other hand though, bizarre this is a promotion of the rugged nikon 1 while nikon are questioning whether they will continue the 1 line at all. Seems kinda regarded logic and hardly encouraging for someone about to invest in a system.

Well, to tell the truth, good for Nikon but I feel something is still missing and that's frustrating.

Not sure why they didn't simply merged the next-in-line V3 and AW110 instead of making another camera missing the optical viewfinder, no external flash and the other shortcomings of the previous ones. Heck, despite the higher price, I don't think the OM-D E M1 is so difficult to think for Nikon.. it's not much different than a simple FM3D...

Imho they missed a great opportunity to kill every other mirrorless on the market. Yes, it has lots of bells and whistles for what it does, and it will be "nice" but nothing more, nothing "special", I mean.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Id say it is a step in a better direction but, why release this when they are pushing the reset on the Nikon 1 series? I think they need to change target group, target advanced users.

They have still not answered the basic question who is the Nikon 1 series for?

I want:
a P7800 style of body (with the outside controls and look and feel
Larger sensor apc is what I would want
which means a new lens series since the old series 1 ones are to small for
Skip the colors, I doubt the advanced user cares, a Nikon should be black.

JPS

Read at Nikon UK (http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/press_room/press_presentation.page?Period=HomePage&Quarter=0&SY=0&ID=templatedata\en_GB\news_article\data\BV-PR-WWA19092013-Nikon1AW1):

Expected in Spring 2014, the SB-N10 underwater Speedlight is a powerful optional flash unit that can be used together with the Nikon 1 AW1. Designed to shed light on murky underwater environments, it will help capture more of the colours you see beneath the water. The SB-N10 will also be compatible with Nikon 1 underwater cases, enabling it to be used together with other NIkon 1 cameras too.

That should solve the underwater lighting problem, no ?

:smile:
J-P.

Id say it is a step in a better direction but, why release this when they are pushing the reset on the Nikon 1 series? I think they need to change target group, target advanced users.

They have still not answered the basic question who is the Nikon 1 series for?

I want:
a P7800 style of body (with the outside controls and look and feel
Larger sensor apc is what I would want
which means a new lens series since the old series 1 ones are to small for
Skip the colors, I doubt the advanced user cares, a Nikon should be black.
They didn't really say they were pushing the reset button the the 1 series, only rethinking the product plans. For all we know, this could be part of the new plans.

I've put my pre-order in. I have a cruise planned for November and the AW1 with an AW 11-27 and a couple of my 1 series zooms will be perfect for my trip. I've been using AW compacts, but miss many features (including RAW support), so I'm liking the idea of the AW1.

Interesting. I'm not sure how big of a market there is for an underwater camera, or for that extra feature. I guess if we wanted to, we can look at it as additional reliability or peace of mind.

Obviously, this camera has been in the works for awhile and does not give a hint what the V3 will include. Nevertheless, the AW1 will become quite a popular system for outdoor and water enthusiasts and a reasonable rugged travel camera option. In the future I expect to see many of these in Hawaii with hikers, surfers, snorkelers, beach goers, etc. Thinking of getting one myself.

Interesting. I'm not sure how big of a market there is for an underwater camera, or for that extra feature.
You should see how much my kids use my Olympus Tough camera at pool parties in the summer and you should how much me dad, uses it at Sea World and Six Flags :smile:

I'd say the market is huge!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom