All Weather & Underwater Nikon 1 Body Announced

I did learn the hard way about getting a floating strap. My little Olympus TG is at the bottom of Lake Hardin after a family paddleboarding trip on Saturday. I had it clipped to my life jacket for most of the trip. It only took unclipping it for 1 minutes to put it at the bottom of the lake.
lol sorry to laugh at your misfortune but it's a funny story. I can only imagine that sick feeling in your stomach once you know it's gone.

I also swap lenses often and take mine under water too and had no problems. I did buy the little tube of Nikon silicone grease and grease the seals and check the hatch seals are clean when I do plan to submerge however.

No issues with either of mine, although to be honest they haven't been heavily used underwater. I did notice some fogging behind the screen on one of mine last summer while at a water park and thought ohhhh crap, it's gonna flood, but it was fine and kept operating without a hiccup. Fogging behind the screen went away pretty quickly too. I do *religiously* check the lens mount seal for debris and clean it before taking them underwater. I do also re-grease the gasket, and have a replacement or two on-hand also. If there's anything to obstruct the sealing between that gasket and the lens, poof, you just lost a camera. So I check regularly. I know these cameras aren't perfect, but I think most of the flooding incidents are probably due to improper handling and care. This is one camera where you really do need to read the manual and follow it religiously, as far as maintaining the camera.

Due to "all ISO noise" issues and terrible flash performance, I've scaled back my use of these cameras quite a bit, but still use them as intended for "active use" cameras for water or color type events. My "go anywhere" camera now is my 7D Mark II with 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens.

My AW1 continues to be a very fun camera for me. The only thing that I have not used it for that I thought I would is skiing! Perhaps one day. I really like the small size and fast AF and frames per second. I can't wait for a more feature filled V4 to be released to complement this body!

Poolside:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Untitled by avyoung, on Flickr

DSC_4877-2.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

Camping
DSC_6722-2.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

DSC_6727-1.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

Fishing
DSC_4392-2.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

Racing
DSC_3805-17.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

DSC_4340-1.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

Swimming at the lake looking for fish
DSC_5689-2.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

DSC_5662-1.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

Tubing
DSC_6405-2.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

DSC_7846-4.jpg by avyoung, on Flickr

Untitled by avyoung, on Flickr

I'm heading to St. John in the USVI and plan to do some snorkeling. Just bought a J1 and underwater housing.

I believe I can't shoot in manual with the housing so plan to shoot in aperture priority.

Does anyone have any tips? Any samples?

Cheers
Wembley

I have no idea what kind of external control you might have, but I'd just run Shutter Priority and 1/60s or 1/125s or something around there, depending on how much light and type of shots. I don't think aperture priority is really relevant on these cameras unless you're shooting with the 18.5mm f/1.8 or something. There's so much depth of field unless you're focused really close. On the 11-27 lens on my AW1, maximum aperture is pretty much already the sharpest aperture, and then you're already getting noticeably soft images due to diffraction at f/8. Aperture priority is slightly relevant with the 10mm f/2.8 if you have that one, but I've never run that mode ever. Just P and S for me, with rare manual mode photos using the flash.

Well the AW1 actually has an underwater white balance mode, but I never mess with it and just leave it in Auto, and for the most part photos turn out just fine, or I move a slider in post a bit if not. The J1 obviously won't have that, but I'd probably just leave it in auto as well. I don't think you'd need a filter, and you'll be cutting out a lot of light and possibly needing to push ISO more with something like a red filter. Probably wouldn't bother on that either.

If you're snorkeling and not diving with tanks, you should not need to screw around with filters. When I used to dive with a Nikonos (I wish Nikon would make a digital Nikonos), filters were sometimes needed. I've moved to the AW1 now and the only accessories I've found a need is a floating strap (that doesn't float, but does slow the descent of the camera a bit so I can catch it) and an anti-fog screw in filter, something that really works well.

Having fun with the J1 and underwater housing but its hard work.

cheers
Wembley

Just picked one of these up with the two lens kit and orange silicone covers. Pretty fun to use as a point and shoot, AF only missed once due to backlighting, and tracking is really quite good! IQ is a definite step back from even the first generation Sony RX-100, but way better than our past water cameras were. Looking forward to using it on our trip to Puerto Rico, and taking a stab at underwater photos.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom