1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Alli with face paint

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by PDuany, Aug 22, 2008.

1. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    At our company picnic, we had a face painter. When I got home I attempted to get a good picture of Alli with her artwork. How did I do? I am still struggling to master the pp aspects of photography. I think I am pretty close but I am eager to hear opinions and suggestions

alli_grass.

2. Patrick, cute shot with nice DOF.
    Your processing looks fine here.
    One thing I'd suggest is cropping a little from the left side and bottom to put your subject more squarely into the frame.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Great shot! I like the pp, but I think she's color shifted to the blue a bit. The picture could possibly use a tiny bit more red, too. But the pp does look to me like you're on the right track. I like Terry's idea of cropping.

4. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Nice shot but, IMO, a little too cold.
    A little warming filter helps a lot.

facepaintingnv4.

5. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    Thanks for the suggestions

Virginia
    I will give that crop a try. I was trying to get her eyes into the upper third, sometimes I try a little hard to play by the rules.

Miriam
    I believe you are right and I think lew proved it with the warming filter which accomplishes the same/similar thing (right?).

Lew
    Your edit looks good I will try it on the original. When I was looking at your post Alli walked pointed at your version and said "I like that one better", so there you have it the final word has been issued. She then stopped noticed I was on a web page and said "wait what did you do?". I think she was a little embarrassed, and flattered at the same time that I posted it. Oh well she has her teenage years to pay me back.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions

6. Well, similar, but not quite. The problem with adjusting color balance is that it takes independant balancing on 2 separate color channels to get it right. If you get one color channel where you want it using a post-processing photo filter, it's doubtful the other channel will be what you want.

You might prefer the results if you first get the color balance right, then add the warming filter.

Here is what I got just trying to get the color right:

original.

And then after adding a touch of warming filter:

View attachment 241863

Of course, if you just try the warming filter and you like the results, that's great, too! :smile:

Oh yeah, I liked Virginia's idea of cropping, so I tried that. I probably overdid it. The feet look a little funny behind the head.

7. How about cloning the feet out entirely, replacing with grass?

8. Of course! Considering I've used that solution so many times in the past, I must have been asleep last night. No time to play this morning. I'll try it later if someone doesn't do it first. :) 

Update: found the time for a quick edit. Also did a little color adjusting on some of the highlights. Here it is:
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  9. Nice, Miriam!! :smile:

10. Thanks, Diane!

11. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    My Apologies

Miriam
    I meant to thank you for your efforts. nice job removing the feet an explaining the difference between the warming filter and color balancing. Sorry for not responding to your post earlier.
    I appreciate your efforts.

12. Patrick,

No problem! And you're welcome, glad I could help. Great job on the photography, BTW. My pbase site got quite a few hits when I put the edited photos up. I'll take them down when this thread drops off of page 1.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.