Alligator eating bird (warning graphic)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by kevin pyle, Aug 6, 2008.

1. original.jpg

original.jpg

A couple of weeks ago when shooting the baby blues feeding, one fell into the water and became the breakfast for this gator, at least 8-9' in length.
    Thanks for viewing.
    Kevin P.
    Jefferson Island, LA

2. Wow, must have been abit graphic to post.
    Kevin

3. Kevin,

Just kind of makes one feel sad. It is how nature operates but I think we just tend to humanize those cute birds.

Thanks for posting nature up and close.

4. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    that's irresponisble parenting if you ask me. What kind of parent builds a nest above alligator feeding grounds? ***?

5. Cleo, Maji,
    thanks for viewing, I know its graphic, Ray B asked that I post em, I have the whole series but one pic says it all. Cleo, thank you for the giggles but I understand there is a reason why nature has the birds build the nest like that.
    Thank you kindly,
    Kevin P.

6. Natures way

The gators actually help the birds as much as they feed on them. When there is a large concentration of nests full of birds, Snakes, Racoons, possums and others would love to cllimb the tree and eat a nest full of eggs as well as the mother if she doesn't flee. The gators waiting below for birds will eat the other varmits before they can get to the nest. So the birds actually choose to nest there!

7. Circle of life.......
    Great shot

8. That's nature for you, the same birds eat a tonne of fish. Gators need to eat too.

9. Nice Capture of part of lifes circle!!

10. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    :biggrin:

Ahhhh, that makes sense :smile:

11. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    The Gator will be so disappointed when it realize feather is not digestible! These chicks probably weight less than a pound!

Nice capture, Kevin, just make sure you stay away from water in the future!