1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Allow me to ramble

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by HydraShok, Sep 22, 2008.

1. HydraShok

HydraShok

Sep 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    Hey all,

I am fairly new to DSLRs but I am a very fast learner. My sister has a XTI and my wife really liked it. We went to Big Box Store and looked at the XSI, 40d, D40 and D80. She has smaller hands than I do and she ended up choosing the D40. We have 4k on the shutter in less than a month and I really like the ergos of the Nikon line vs the Canon line.

I bought my wife a SB-400, a 55-200mmVR (which she keeps on the D40 all the time), a crumpler 6 mil bag, the IR remote, etc.

Now I want my own body. I would like a bit more grip and also more dedicated buttons and a top lcd but I am having difficulty arriving at which one is for me. I will not rehash the specs of the cameras I am interested in as you guys probably know them off hand even better than I do.

I have played with the D80 and the D300. Ergonomically I really liked the way the D300 felt in my hands, I also liked the D80 but to a lesser extent as far as comfort and ease of use goes.

I found a D80 body on a walmart.com for $600, for the time being I can use my wife's kit lens from the D40. I figure I can buy it there and if it doesn't meet my needs I can go to something else.

I took a long time to come to this decision. I really wanted a D300 but the $1k difference between it and the D80 could go towards better glass. Then as time goes on I can pick up a D300 down the road when it is more reasonable.

These decisions are always tough for me, trying to weigh all the pros and cons. I suspect that I will like the d80 just fine, and I will not take it back. I wish I had not tried the D300 (that is such a nice body!)

I want to buy enough camera to last me a couple of years and I don't want to pay for more camera than I need.

--------------------------------------------------------

The summary is I am going to buy a D80 for the top lcd, easier to set controls, larger size, AF motor, better viewfinder. And if it doesn't cut it I will take it back and start thinking about the d200, d90, d300, depending on what the d80 was lacking (hopefully nothing).

2. The other option is to buy a new d200 for $999, or a used one for under $700. Other than a smaller LCD, the body and button layout is very similar to the d300.

3. I agree with Frank. If you like the ergonomics of the D300 , and don't want to pay the extra bucks for it , than the D200 would be a great option. I would prefer the D200 over the D80 , but than again , I prefer the D300/700 over the D200 . So I guess it's all depends on your needs , and how much you are willing to spend .

4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    The D80 has been replaced by the D90, which has many of the same features as the D300 in a smaller, more consumer type body. It's costs more than the D80, but much less than the D300.

5. HydraShok

HydraShok

Sep 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    I haven't seen any D90 bodies for sale, only the ones with the kit lens. Are they available, and if not, does anyone know when they will be?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  6. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

If you can up the budget a bit for the D90, that would put you ahead of the game in terms of bodies! The D80 is a great camera, but the D90 is newer, with better ISO performance and some additional features. It is more future-proof than the D80....

That said, the D80 would still be a fine choice!

You may have to wait a month or so for a body only on the D90.

The D200 suggestion is also a great one if you want the feel of the D300.

Tough decisions!

7. Adorama has the d90 body listed for $1000, no sales tax, free shipping. If they don't have it in stock right now, they will soon. Get in line by placing your order.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD90.html?searchinfo=nikon d90 body&item_no=1

But, wait... why not buy the kit. It only costs $300 more and it includes the new NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens, which lists for $400. Try it, and if you don't like it, I think you could sell it for $300 or even a little more.

8. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    I had the same thought. There are probably plenty of D40 owners out there who would consider this lens a big improvement over the 18 - 55 kitter (maybe even your wife..?).

9. YEKCIM

YEKCIM

Jul 27, 2007
    Alabama
  10. B&H has a used D200 in 9 (out of 10) condition for $829. And we have seen some excellent used ones here on the Cafe board for < $700. If size and weight is not an issue, I recommend a good used D200.

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    My Take

Personally, I would not puchase the D80.

My wife shot one for a year and I was really unimpressed, especially with the metring ability, focus speed / ability, etc.

My daughter just purchased a D90 kit and it's much better than the D80...it's not even close IMHO.

I've dobne a couple of comparison shots bbetween the D90 and my D300 and at a quick glance from processed RAW files, I think the D90 captures cleaner images.

12. HydraShok

HydraShok

Sep 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well,

I stopped into Ritz and Best Buy yesterday and played with the D90 D300 and 40d. I like the size and heft of the D300 and 40d. I think I am just going to hold off on buying a body for now. Instead I am going to keep using my wife's D40 and I am going to buy some lenses. I want the 17-55/2.8 the 105/2.8 micro and the 70-300mm and the new AFS 50mm. I think I will accumulate some lenses for a while and let the d300 drop. When it approaches 1k then I will drop the hammer. Thank you all for the suggestions!

13. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    I think you are doing the right thing. The D200/D300 body is far superior in feel and general build to the D80/D90. If it feels better, it is more fun to use.

While I enjoy my D200 immensely, but there are a couple of things that the D300 has which make it far superior to the D200 in my mind. The ability to AF tune individual lenses is fantastic. Live View makes using a tripod a lot more fun and can enable shooting with the camera held overhead for those "over the fence" or "over the crowd" shots. The 3" LCD is far superior to that of the D200. The high ISO capability is much better.

I have not sold off my D200 to get a D300, because I expect to buy a used D3 soon and the D200 will become my backup camera for paid gigs. As a reliable backup, it has superb enough image quality that I don't need a D300.

You might consider purchasing a used D300 from one of the CAFE members who moved to a D700 or from your local Craigslist. If you give it a good test and it works properly, a used D300 is the same as a new D300 you bought last month. The warranty is good to have, but if it hasn't failed after 5~10k exposures, it probably isn't going to give you any major issues for a long time.

14. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Richard,

First of all congratulations on the wise decision. Everybody agrees that investing in glass is better than investing in bodies. But not that many can withstand the call of the Siren...

Depending on what your definition of "approaching" is, good luck! I did the same for the D200 and once it hit the $1400 mark the price proved to be extremely resilient. You will have to be a patient man if you want to wait for the D300 to hit $1000 - probably after the D400 starts dropping its introduction price.

Third, I'd like to point to an option that I -and many others here- used, and that is to bid on eBay on a "factory demo" from Cameta. Here's an example but that is by far not the only one. Scout a couple of auctions to get an idea for the price, then find an auction that ends at 3 AM and put in a realistic bid.

These cameras are usually used by salesmen as demo/showcase models and have virtually always less than 1000 shutter actuations. My D200 came with 8 clicks (yay!) and my D40 came with 400 (still good!). If you didn't know any better you'd think the cameras are new. If you buy goods on eBay this is definitely worth considering.

15. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Go here: http://search.live.com/cashback

You will find a D200 and a D90 at J&R (a USA dealer) for $940 each, new; and the D80 for below $590 from Abes of Maine and BuyDig, each of which is a USA dealer. I recently used Live Search and understand that you will have to wait a few months to receive your cash rebate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.