Almost a flight shot...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Sep 12, 2005.

1. I went back to where the Sandhill Cranes hang out on the way home tonight. There were about 14 there, so I shot some shots, keeping one eye in the sky for any incoming. Well, none came while I was there, but the ones in the pond started to either play, or do a courting ritual or fight for seniority, I am not sure what. They were jumping up and down, flapping wings, so here are some "landing" shots I guess you would say, taken with the D2H, 300 f4 and 1.4x, handheld. I really could use a 70-200 for times like this. These shots are not cropped unless noted:
    original.
    original.
    and this one is slightly cropped:
    original.

One portrait:
    original.

Wish I had brought my monopod, and had more time to work on the "flight" shots. They were jumping and whooping it up for a while.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very cools shots Harris. Looks like you had some really good late afternoon sunlight.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those are really nice Harris. Love the way the feathers are layered. Nature is amazing..

Good shots.

4. The late afternoon sun in that part of the complex is unobstructed, and was, well how can I say....... Perfect! :wink:

5. Well Gale, maybe one day you'll come on down here? :smile:

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Very nice Harris. love the detail in those shots.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

In case I forgot to mention. Have enjoyed your Sandhills from the 1st post to this one.
    Very crisp and sharp !!

8. Thanks Harry and Ben. It was great lighting.

9. Great shots! I cannot steadily handhold 200mm so seeing you get these shots while handholding 300mm w/the TC just amazes me! Great work and great light!

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Harris -
    These are really good shots. :smile: :smile: These guys (this guy?) look like whirling dervishes, and are more interesting than most flight shots I've seen. (Sorry, Frank. :Depressed ) Just one question. What inspired you to put Mr. Boring at the end? :confused:

Gordon

11. I've been drinking a lot less coffee lately... :cool:

12. I put the portrait at the end cause the light was so nice and he smiled for me... :biggrin:

13. Nice to see the action, Harris. Lots of feather detail in these. Great shots!!