1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

almost got in BIG trouble

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Commodorefirst, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    well,

I just missed out on an auction on a USA model mint Demo Nikon 200mm f2 VR, with a year warranty. I had my bid up until the last hour, but someone wanted it $50.00 worse than me, I placed my high at $3177 and just waited and swore not to increase it anymore or get into a bidding war. I thought for a while, i am still winning this, and my high bid is still a ways away,....oh no, ..... My wife is going to think I am crazy,........... now I do have to sell some lenses (300 f4 AFS, and 180mm 2.8 prime), and some pocket knives and some cash from the savings to get this lens, but, I lost..... but I get to keep two of my favorite lenses :)  and my wife still loves me, so that's good!

however,........ I have seen some 85 1.4 lenses on ebay from good sellers for around 750.......hmmmm........maybe I could sell some stuff.......

thought I would give you my taste of my crazy LLD antics, It was a great deal, and I just couldn't pass it up, I was planning to get this lens in a year or two, not just today, but you know how it is......

Cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  2. Sounds like a serious case of LLD! There is no cure!

I just got a 50mm 1.2 AI (poor mans Noct?)
    On Ebay is getting harder and harder to get a good deal, there are too many people looking for stuff...

$3100 sounds mazing for a 200 VR, though....

A happy wife is better then lenses that is for sure....

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I dont think you won, I Was watching it as well.
    I am not sure $3200 is such a great deal for a lens wit ha 1 year warranty. Once you are in that price range, why not pay a few hundred more bucks for 5 years of coverage?

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I am confused, "I don't think you won" you said, a bit unclear to me, i didn't win the auction, just telling how I almost did, but in a way was glad I didn't, a LLD story, and.....

it would have cost me another $800 more in cash to buy new, not a few hundred, to me, that is a big difference. and I would have to already spend a grand in cash after selling everything to get 2200 towards the lens . So out of pocket it would cost me $1800 cash to buy new, including selling lenses it would replace instead of $1000. more than a few hundred ;) 

how often have we seen a USA model, 200 f2 VR in really good condition for around 3200 shipped? They are pretty rare.

Cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.