Almost threw this train away!

Real Name
Chris
I shot this train some time ago, but had rejected it for too much noise and the wrong colors. The train travels about 100 mph, and I wanted a fast shutter. Since this picture was taken before dawn, it meant ISO 1600 and f/4, using the 12-24DX lens.

Recently I reprocessed the RAW file to substantially increase the brightness and saturation, which brought out the essence of the scene, then altered the curves to suppress noise in the shadows, so now it looks like Wonderful World of Color. :) It's the Coaster commuter train that follows the coast from San Diego to Los Angeles, emerging from the pre-dawn haze to cross the San Luis Rey bridge:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
Gordon and hans, Thanks! This photo was all about the processing, the original was dim and lifeless. And hans, I don't know Kevin Ayers, so I'll check him out next time I'm in the iTunes store.

Really cool shot! My two oldest kids will love this. I can't wait to show it to them.

Glad you didn't throw it away.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom