Almost threw this train away!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chris101, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I shot this train some time ago, but had rejected it for too much noise and the wrong colors. The train travels about 100 mph, and I wanted a fast shutter. Since this picture was taken before dawn, it meant ISO 1600 and f/4, using the 12-24DX lens.

Recently I reprocessed the RAW file to substantially increase the brightness and saturation, which brought out the essence of the scene, then altered the curves to suppress noise in the shadows, so now it looks like Wonderful World of Color. :) It's the Coaster commuter train that follows the coast from San Diego to Los Angeles, emerging from the pre-dawn haze to cross the San Luis Rey bridge:

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good job Chris,

Looks great.

Whatever you works well.

3. Glad you did not throw it away Chris. Good looking shot!! :) :) :) :)

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It almost looks like the Hayes Island effect.......

5. WOw I liek it a lot a real keeper love the colors how they blend together almost a pastel painting type look

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Gale, Bryan, Warren and Mike!

I just looked that up - this is nothing nearly so fancy. But now that I know what that is, I might give it a try! Thanks (again :) )

7. Really cool shot Chris. Well done with the processing also.

8. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Stunning picture

Reminds me of that Kevin Ayers'song "Stop this train and let me out"

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gordon and hans, Thanks! This photo was all about the processing, the original was dim and lifeless. And hans, I don't know Kevin Ayers, so I'll check him out next time I'm in the iTunes store.

10. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Really cool shot! My two oldest kids will love this. I can't wait to show it to them.

Glad you didn't throw it away.