ALMS at laguna seca

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by fks, Oct 18, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    went to catch the American LeMans final race at Laguna Seca last saturday. strangely enough, the main race was on a saturday instead of a sunday. the race ran from 3pm~7pm, but we left before it got dark.

i did some shots at ISO1000 on the d2h. gave the exposure a bump of +0.3EV, and cleaned up the noise a bit with neatimage.

d1, d2h, 17-25mm AF-S, 70-200mm VR, 300mm f/4 AF + kenko 1.4x TC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more photos at http://ottosphotos.com/gallery/051015_alms

2. fks, great shots - glad you shared with us. Let me guess, you are a Saleen fan, noticed a lot of shots with the Saleen and the Aston where the focus seemed to be on the Saleen - all kidding aside, great shots here and in your gallery. Wish I could have been there, yes I noticed the cars after scrolling down the page.

Mike

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

SWEET!!!
    Man I love great auto racing shots like you captured...

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mike and dave-

thanks for the compliments :)

i'm not really a saleen fan, it was a case of bad timing on my part and an aperture that wasn't small enough :frown: the umbrella girls were new to me, i guess ALMS is trying for the F1 look :wink:

i came back with ~1000 shots, out of which ~400 were properly exposed and focused, and ~130 were worth posting. on the whole, not a bad hit rate. this is the first even in a long time that i used two cameras, and it was a bit of a pain to lug all that equipment around. it was convenient not to have to swap lenses too much since laguna's mostly dirt, some of it even sandy.

ricky

5. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Great photos, but what is with all those cars. I want more ladies! :biggrin: :biggrin:

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ron-

thanks for the kind words, and i'll keep your request in mind the next time i'm at a race :wink:

ricky

7. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi fks,

Glad to see you made it to the ALMS. Great to see you pictures here.
    As being a big fan of motorsports photography I really like your panning shots. Just can't get enough of them :) These shots or just more than just panning shots, you can see the driver inside the car and besides that you are able to see other detail as well, like the roll cage for example. That Aston DBR9 is a horrifying petrol burner, it's a stunning GT car so I hope to shoot one of those in the future.

Always nice to see that you didn't forget to shoot some nice ladies as well.

Great serie man !!!

Keep it up

Johan

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi johan-

glad you enjoyed the photos, and thanks for the kind words :smile:

my friends and i almost didn't make it to the race as the weather forecast was rain. luckily it cleared up a bit and was mostly overcast.

i worked on my pans this time around, making sure i moved smoothly and had a follow through (all those years of tennis payed off :wink: ). it helps to have VR too. i was hoping i could get a nice tight shot of a driver working the wheel, but 420mm isn't enough reach from outside the fence. maybe the 10MP of the d200 will give me enough cropping space.

the db9 is a sweet vehicle, massive and hulking. i miss the ferraris though.

ricky

9. really nice images, the action jumps in these. The ladies were a bonus!
    Dave

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi dave-

thanks for the compliment :)

motorsports isn't just about the vehicles :Whistle:

ricky

11. Great shots I want to shoot a motor sport event someday, wouidl liek to see soemmore of the lovely ladies also:biggrin:

12. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mike-

go for it if you like fast cars. i wish i could attend more races, but we only have two tracks over here in the SF bay area and not that many races. F1 at monaco would be fantastic, plus the umbrella girls are extremely...photogenic :cool:

ricky

13. Ricky,
    What kind of car is the one GT with the big ESP graphic on the door? You guys can have the dames, I want that CAR!

Woody

14. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi woody-

LOL! you're the first to pick the cars over the eye candy :eek:

the car you're asking about is a dodge viper gts run by the ESP American Viperacing team. the sound of that car is different from all the others in the race, more of a loud roar.

ricky

15. I've found that in the long run cars are cheaper to maintain :rolleyes: