1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Along Hwy 1 between Carmel and Big Sur(pic heavy) Added post processed pics...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by jln319, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    *** Scroll down to see PP pics... a few posts below ***
    Drove this stretch last week. Really beautiful there. All taken from Hwy 1. Haven't done anything to them. These are as shot. Hope you like them.
    C&C welcome. Thanks for looking...

Entrance to a house(private drive)...
    DSC_0038-2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045-2.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054-1.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Point Sur Lighthouse
    DSC_0059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  2. Ewout_vB

Ewout_vB

Feb 6, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Very nice!

But, is it me or are most of them a little underexposed?

3. i'm glad you posted these
    pretty area

one point.....
    every one of them needs post-processing....
    as do every single DSLR image

i'd spend some time and run some LEVELS and USM on all of them... and re-post
    i mean you no disrespect... but, taking the pictures is only HALF of what is NEEDED to arrive at your final image

4. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Not you, they probably are... It was actually sunny that day so I was trying not to over expose...

None taken... when I get a chance to post process I will repost.

Thanks for the responses! Appreciate the input...

5. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Thanks for sharing your pictures - a most beautiful part of the country.

6. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I agree with the doc.

Composition is excellent, but it just aint right to post dslr pics without some PP :smile:

7. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Post Processing done...

As promised, I did some post processing. I left the before version above. They look better but my PS skills are lacking as well... This is turning into a learning experience. All these were taken along Hwy 1 between Carmel and Big Sur. Again, C&C welcome. Thanks for looking... again...:redface:

Hwy 1 private drive
    DSC_0038_hwy1_private_entrance2.gif

Next to the private drive
    DSC_0039_hwy1_pool.jpg

DSC_0040_hwy1_coast.jpg

DSC_0045_hwy1_coast3.jpg

DSC_0047_hwy1_coast4.jpg

DSC_0048_hwy1_bridge1.jpg

DSC_0049_hwy1_coast5.jpg

DSC_0050_hwy1_coast6.jpg

DSC_0052_hwy1_bridge2.jpg

DSC_0054_hwy1_grotto.jpg

DSC_0056_hwy1_bridge_far_away.jpg

Point Sur Lighthouse
    DSC_0057_hwy1_point_sur_light.jpg

8. Hey Jeff, I am new here and not sure of all the rules. I did take a look at a few of your images, they are actually exposed pretty good. It is very difficult to not blow out the highlights of the capping waves. If anything they are just a bit over exposed.

With your permission, I will show you what can be done with these images, they are far better than you may imagine. I have lots of experience with PS but try to make it as simple and fast as possible.

I love this drive and just made it myself back in early June coming from the south. It was foggy most of the drive but a few times the clouds broke through. I hope to make this trip again. Undeniably one of the most scenic drives in the US. Thanks for sharing the beauty with us.

9. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thanks. Please feel free to use the images. I would love to see them when you are done and to know what you did. Any help is much appreciated.

10. I will post one in a few minutes, I will post the steps in the morning for you.

Here we go, I will share your first posted image and the one I worked on because you had not done much to it. These are pretty easy steps and I will share them one at a time on one of the images tomorrow. Here are the two I played with. My adjustments may not what you like but they can be adjusted using the layer opacity to go darker or lighter. I removed the haze that seems always present to some degree on the coast first then adjusted the intensity.

This image was pretty good out of the camera.
    [​IMG]

With a little PP, it looks like this.

[​IMG]

Image 2 looked like this and again has the potential to be pretty good.

[​IMG]

A few easy adjustments and it can look like this.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice series of images. I want that house !!!!

12. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thanks. Me too...

13. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thanks Charles! Look forward to seeing the procedure you used... Colors are dramatic in your version.

14. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Thanks Charles for the before and after - now do share some of the techniques used :smile:

15. Before and After PP in Photo

Here we go. For years, I have fought with the color cast(haze) in digital images, I had problems with my color printing with film since I did my own color processing for about 20 years. This in part was caused by color crossover when recording an image, not a true three color capture either in film or on a single chip. I did discover how to remove (deal with it) it when printing in a darkroom. Digital gave me more of a challenge. I have studied how others deal with this and due to the high number of images I have to present for a magazine or book, I needed something that was quick, easy and produced fairly good results.

What I am about to share, is just a beginning if I am working on a single image and the way I proof all my files as a jpg now days. I go back to the orig file to fine tune each image. Sometimes that means very little other than this.

Second, I shoot with my white balance on manual and set at 5200K all the time. I don't like meters making my choices as they rarely make a good choice just by themselves so no Auto-White balanced or any of the other settings for me. It gives me images that are consistant. I also look at the histogram to see if I am keeping my exposures in the detail range, meaning that I am not hitting the over or underexposure limits where I loose all detail. Jim's exposures are all correct with slight adjustments possible.

First I opened the image.(any unprocessed image will work) We need to set PhotoShop up for the way I use levels.

[​IMG]

The next step is to go under your Image/Adjustment/Levels Menu. See the attached view of the Levels controls. Take note of what the Histogram looks like.

[​IMG]

With this screen opened notice the three Eye Droppers on the lower right. The first one is for the Black point, second is for Middle Gray and the third is for White. Double click on the Black Eye Dropper (left side) and you will have the following screen pop-up. You should see the RGB boxes set for "0". Note that I have selected each one and changed them to R 12, B 8, G 8. When you change these settings please click OK. See image below for setting and what they will look like.

[​IMG]

Now we double click the Middle Gray Eye Dropper (center) and set the RBG values for Middle Gray to R 120, B 120, G 120 ans click OK See images below:

[​IMG]

Now one more step before we can start working. Double click on the White Eye Dropper (on the right) you should have the RGB Pop-up again for the white set point. Set the RGB White to R147,B147,G147 and click OK. See settings below:

[​IMG]

Now you are back to the Levels main menu, select the Options button and you will have yet another screen pop-up titled Auto Color. Don't confuse this with the Adjustments Auto Color Menu although they are loosely related, this gives you other options but the default is set at Enhance per Channel Contrast. This is the setting I use most of the time. You can try all the others but for most of my images and images that were shot on Canon Cameras friends use this works great. With the latest Nikon and possibly Canon cameras this has only a slight effect on the images, they have done something to remove this problem with the D3 and D300 from what i have seen but it still helps some. I will not change this default setting unless it is needed. You have to judge what you like and decide that for yoursef. See image below:

[​IMG]

Once you are back out in the Levels menu, take a look at your Histogram, it has changed the Dynamic Range a good bit hasn't it. The image will look a little flat and cooler most of the time but you will now have an image free of a color cast and ready to work on..Now then click OK all the way out of Levels, you will be asked if you want to save this setting, you should do so in case something happens, you can the reload it later. Just remember where you save it.

Here is the Histogam:

[​IMG]

Here now is the color cast and haze reduced image.

[​IMG]

We are now ready to continue. Once the above has been set up and the Levels settings saved, you only have to open levels and click on the options and watch it do the rest for future images.

I will now make a duplicate layer of the image, set the blending mode to either Overlay or Soft Light depending on the actual effect I like. I can adjust that layer opacity down for 100% to reduce the effect to a point that I like. Different images can be set from 100 to 10-15% depending on the mood I am wanting to have with the image. See layer menu and setting for the blending mode in the top left highlighted.

[​IMG]

Now with the full screen you can see that I have adjusted the fill opacity to about 75% which looks good to me. You should also see the history state of the image to see the changes that were made. There are several blending changes as I was looking between the Soft Light and Over Lay blending modes to decide which I liked best. See Screen shot:

[​IMG]

With this now I will flatten the layers and use my Unsharp Mask to sharpen. The setting I am using is for a web image at low resolution and would be slightly different for a full res image. See the Unsharp Mask image see below:

[​IMG]

And now the before and after:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps some, it may at first seem difficult and your monitor may not be calibrated correctly so your images may appear way off. If this happens, I would suggest that you find someone that can help you calibrate the monitor. I have had images published in Magazines and books using this method as well as printing them myself and having lab prints done. I have not found a better way to keep my images crisp with as much detail as possible as this. There are many other ways of doing this but none are this fast or easy.

I want to thank Jim for allowing me to use his image for this demo. When I saw the images and was reminded of the foggy weather I had, it made me wish I could leave out tomorrow for another trip. I have only lived here in California since Late March, so I have a lot to explore here.

Let me know how it works for you,

16. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Hey Charles,

Thanks very much for the tutorial. Can't wait to try it out. Never thought my images could look like that... I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

17. Pretty cool isn't it. I will look forward to seeing others and if I can help let me know.

Charles

18. seven lust

seven lust

Apr 9, 2008
    nashville
    Thanks charles , I am still learning my way around cs3. I will try using these steps on some of my images and hopefully get some results like you. Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.