ALOT of water

Real Name
Randy
my buddy and I hiked to a waterfall in western NC called Rainbow falls. We expected a lot of water but because of all the rain lately the waterfall really surprised us with the volume of water. There was so much mist and splash back we could even shoot the falls.

Here's a short video that will give you an idea:

http://bit.ly/1a5TxYq

Here's a shot from downstream:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yep, that's a lot of water. :eek:

I wish we could get some rain around here. We're already in a slight drought condition now, and there's no rain in sight.

I miss North Carolina. Actually, I miss the south in general. I was born in Charlotte, and lived there up through the first grade. We then moved to the Atlanta area.

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dang, it's almost runable at that level!! Did you get any shots of turtleback or bust-your-butt??
We are both in our 60's and the hike to rainbow whipped us bad.....we headed to turtle back after rainbow and stopped at The Pond. How much further past The Pond is it, cause we never saw it. We're gonna shoot it again this coming w/e and also Whitewater falls and Dry falls just to see the extra water

We couldn't shoot rainbow, the water on that little bridge was a deluge, I was crazy to even shoot the video. I have never seen that much volume of water anywhere in my life, it was frankly intimidating. On the hike there were several streams we had to cross that were so wide and fast we had to take our boots off to cross.

Great day though

Real Name
Randy
Yep, that's a lot of water. :eek:

I wish we could get some rain around here. We're already in a slight drought condition now, and there's no rain in sight.

I miss North Carolina. Actually, I miss the south in general. I was born in Charlotte, and lived there up through the first grade. We then moved to the Atlanta area.
we moved from Miami in 1971 and we love NC and Charlotte. I prefer Florida a few months a year for their birds but NC is amazing. I just recently started shooting waterfalls and I love it, there seems to be an unlimited number of amazing falls here

Wow that was really something Randy. That video was great, but I'm sure being there was awesome.

Real Name
Randy
Wow that was really something Randy. That video was great, but I'm sure being there was awesome.
thanks Chuck, I was surprised the D800 could focus and the mist didn't cover the lens and ruin the vido. I took a chance using the 24-120 because I didn't think it was weather sealed. The camera, lens and me were soaked just standing there for a few seconds, and the whole experience was quite invigorating to say the least

we moved from Miami in 1971 and we love NC and Charlotte. I prefer Florida a few months a year for their birds but NC is amazing. I just recently started shooting waterfalls and I love it, there seems to be an unlimited number of amazing falls here
Wow! That video looked like Niagara Falls! :biggrin: Watch yourself when the water is running like that!

I recall reading somewhere that there about 100 waterfalls in Transylvania County alone!

Real Name
Randy
Wow! That video looked like Niagara Falls! :biggrin: Watch yourself when the water is running like that!

I recall reading somewhere that there about 100 waterfalls in Transylvania County alone!
I think NC has more waterfalls than any other state

the longest waterfall east of the Rockies is Whitewater, 420' long, in Sapphire NC and what a sight it is

Randy, Turtleback is just above the pond. You must've been really close - plus the fact that with that much flow, Turtleback may have been washed out.

If you haven't seen it before, Rainbow has a pretty modest 6-8 foot wide flow at normal levels. Pretty astounding.

WOW, THAT is one powerful waterfall!!! Is that the strongest you've ever seen it running? I WISH I had stuff like THAT near me to shoot!!!

Real Name
Randy
WOW, THAT is one powerful waterfall!!! Is that the strongest you've ever seen it running? I WISH I had stuff like THAT near me to shoot!!!
that was my 1st time seeing it but I've been told that that is near trouble....
We have serious flood warnings everywhere in NC, they just issued another for Charlotte where I live and it is even worse in western NC where all the falls are......I'm anxious to go back up there soon since there are so many falls that are probably nearing peak

Rainbow Falls is a hefty walk to come up empty handed. Especially the return walk which is uphill all the way. I am not sure that my old legs could make it any more.

My wife and I were going to take a ride to the mountains last Saturday, but decided against it after hearing about some areas being under water.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom