Alt som kan gå galt går galt og alt som ikke kan gå galt, går galt likevel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nfoto, Jan 5, 2006.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This rather cryptic thread title is the Norwegian equivalent of the infamous Murphy's Law.

This Law, being of a Universal Nature, applies to digital photography as well - of course.

So, just 1 hour after returning my review sample of the D200 and having started to collect the image files onto the file server for my review, my Linux-based local mail and file server crashed. Totally. Kaput. Gone.

I've been assessing the damages brought to bear from this incident and see that I might be able to consolidate at least some of the test images from alternate sources. Since these files were so early in the image workflow, they had not the bullet-proof backup support (presumably) valid for the finalised images. A pity and lots of work that needs to be redone, but it seems doable and I've "only" lost about one week's worth of post-processing.

Then, having established that my test images had suffered a disasterous blow but should be recoverable to a great extent, I began looking into the mail system and found to my dismay that the local mail client not only had downloaded e-mail messages from the central server, it had also, diligently but unnoticed, deleted the messages as well. So in effect all e-mails for the last 6 months have disappeared into the big cybernetic void. Those included all requests for tutoring and field trips, plus the details for a pending sale of images to Oxford University Press (hopefully their Book Editor will inquiry for images not received as promised in a day or two). I think I remember her name, but not the e-mail address, maybe some of the nice British people around here could help me locate that person?

At this stage of the affairs I did the only sensible thing, left the digital mess behind and went to help myself to a mint Nikon S3 "2000" rangefinder, still in its unopened box. Set me back a cool $ 5.000 but helped lift my spirits above Ground Zero level. Now is time to grab some beers and listen to high-volume psychodelic rock music. Eventually, tomorrow dawns, but that's another story.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sönke Adlung (ed), Kerstin Demata or Lynsey Livingston (assistant editors)?

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi bjorn-

i like your therapy method, nothing like a new toy to lift your spirits :cool:

ricky

4. I'm very sorry for you!

....reminds me of my own, to long delayed Backup....

5. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I don't believe there is anything more frustrating than computer issues.. You have my sympathies!

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

In my case I should have had the backup - hadn't Murphy's Law applied the usual way :mad: Image files in their final stages are secured by 4 different copies, but as I said, the relevant images in this sad case were at the early "scratch disk" stage, more annoying that on my main NT server even the scratch areas are on mirrored disks. The Linux box has puttered faithfully along for ever and I foolishly assumed it would continue and hadn't tested for all eventualities.

Well, when I recover from the loss I'll examine the remaining loopholes and ensure this cannot happen again.

7. Oh my goodness! A nightmare coming true.
    I hope that you get things sorted out positively.
    I have to knock on wood, never had any crashes. If ever I lost a file it was my own stupidity.

Cheers

8. This is my worst nightmare scenario come through! I'm so sorry! Cant you send it off to one of the serious recovery services and ask them for help?

As a result of this I will go over my own backup strategy

Hope the rest of the year goes much better then this, and that the Rangefinder soothes the pain!

Gott Nytt År!

9. well doesn't that danged sh#t just happen at the worst darned time -- to put it as cleanly as possible en anglais !!

Wish I could stand you to a few tall ones. Don't know what you drink or listen to over there, but I'd be busting out the Casco Bay and cranking up some U2 or Franz Ferdinand. So I'll do that this evening as a small token of long-distance commiseration for ya !!

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Bjørn :

Ah, hell... I had an office server crash last summer, but not as catastrophically.

Raise a beer and crank that music up ! As you say, tomorrow's another day.

John P.

12. kdraper

kdraper Guest

Terrible, man, terrible. I hope you can recover everything important.

Hey, that's the spirit. I like your style.

Anyone care to share their backup strategies? I've been half-assing it at home, usually uploading to one system, then manually copying the files to another, optionally burning files to a CD if they're important. I'd rather automate this with an ingest/sort app at the front-end, that automatically distributes kept files to multiple systems, with a similar strategy for finalized images. Something that 'knows' which drives/CDs a given image has been stored on would be nice.

13. Bjørn -- thought you might get a chuckle from the online Norwegian-to-English translation that I ran:
    All that able come unstuck goes amiss and all that no matter able come unstuck, goes amiss nevertheless.

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    OUCH! So sorry, sir.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bjorn,
    I feel just terrible for you , with this crash. Oh what a shame..

16. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You shouldn't rely too much on any kind of automated translation, machines do even worse than the humans themselves :biggrin:

The verbatim translation Norwegian into English is as follows,

Whatever can fail will fail and whatever can't fail will fail nevertheless

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sorry Bjorn. I'll drink a couple of glasses of vino for you. :rolleyes:

18. I just love the automated translations -- they are usually ironically hilarious.
    But not to worry, I don't rely on them !!!!!!
    I had pretty much hacked out the Norwegian, but thanx for the authentic translation :~}

19. Ouch Bjorn, I feel sorry for you. I hope you have good luck putting it all back together.