Alternative Lens Hood for AF 85mm f/1.4

R

Removed User 2

Be careful with the HN-20 as an alternative to the HN-31. The HN-20 has 72mm threads, and so does the AIS 85/1.4, but the AF 85/1.4 has 77mm threads, and the HN-31 does too. As such, there are not interchangeable, at least without some step-up (HN-31 on the AIS lens) or step-down (HN-20 on the AF lens) and I have no idea if that latter combination would even work on a DX body without vignetting...
I think he meant HN20 for the 105+135 and HN28 for the 85 1.4 AF.

I think he meant HN20 for the 105+135 and HN28 for the 85 1.4 AF.
Not to start a war or anything, but Roland said:

Regarding the AF 85/1.4, the HN-20 seems an excellent alternative to the HN-31.
I am just pointing out that the HN-20 is the normal hood for the AIS 85/1.4 and it is 72mm, whereas the HN-31 is 77mm and is meant for the AF 85/1.4... :wink:

Anyway, both your and Roland's help and experience are appreciated in this somewhat non-trivial navigation of the Nikon parts catalog, not to mention that of third parties like B+W: thanks for that tip Roland! :smile:

Regarding the AF 85/1.4, the HN-20 seems an excellent alternative to the HN-31.
Opps, my mistake. That should read HN-28 ...
I fixed my earlier post.:redface:
Sorry for any confusion...

D

Dan from New Jersey

I use the B&W rubber hood on mine. It is large, easy to store, and works well for me. Can be had at BH.

Dan

The hoods for the 105DC and 135DC are about the same depth, but the front element of the 105DC is recessed inside the mount so it already has some shade without the hood extended. Even so, the hoods for both lenses could be longer, especially on the smaller DX format. In the Nikon line, the only 72mm hood which is longer is the HN-20 for the AiS 85/1.4. It is only slightly longer than the built-in hoods, but also wider so I don't know if you gain much - the HN-20 even works with the 28/1.4 on DX cameras. The B+W 72mm Screw-In metal telephoto hood is much deeper, and is probably the best option for these lenses. You can get them from B&H.

The AF 85/1.4 has a 77mm filter so will require a different solution. The HN-28 seems an excellent alternative to the usual HN-31. It's about the same length but not as wide so it's more compact and gives better shade. I'd guess the B+W 77mm telephoto hood is the best hood if you want maximum shade as it is much deeper.

Nikon also make a deep HN-13 hood for their old-style 72mm polarizer. It fits the larger front thread of the filter. I'm not sure what the filter size is, if it's 77mm, it will probably also work with the AF 85/1.4 on DX cameras.
Great piece of information there Roland. Thank you very much. :smile:

Now on a side note since the AF 28mm f/1.4 lens was mentioned (not that I have this lens :biggrin: ), Ron Reznick did mention on his site about HK-4 hood for it instead of the stock HK-7.

Quote;

The HK-7 hood recommended for this lens is too shallow and wide to shade the lens against incident light. While the HK-4 hood is as wide, the ‘outer wall’ is taller and it shades the front element better without introducing vignetting.

What's the final say about HN-20 vs HK-4 on AF 28mm f/1.4? Longer? Deeper?

Again. Appreciate the info given. :smile: I own the 135mm f/2.0 DC but I've read that the screwed on telephoto lenshood from B+W is the one. I maye be wrong but from the looks of it, the B+W lenshood on B&H website looks longer and deeper than the HN-20. Is this correct?

B+W

HN-20

I use the B&W also on the 135DC.

Photo courtesty Ron Reznick, who turned me on to this setup:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GenoP

PS: As far as the 85 goes, we both use the stock hood, and also use the newer Pinch Caps. This way you can leave the hood on all the time and easily reach in and remove or apply the cap.

PS: As far as the 85 goes, we both use the stock hood, and also use the newer Pinch Caps. This way you can leave the hood on all the time and easily reach in and remove or apply the cap.
Thanks Geno. Yes, that's how I store my 85mm f/1.4 with the hood permanently on the lens and the pinch cap on it.

BTW, I actually despise the newer type Nikon pinch caps. Sometimes I get the caps coming off on their own when storing lenses in my bag. :mad:

Now on a side note since the AF 28mm f/1.4 lens was mentioned, Ron Reznick did mention on his site about HK-4 hood for it instead of the stock HK-7:

"The HK-7 hood recommended for this lens is too shallow and wide to shade the lens against incident light. While the HK-4 hood is as wide, the ‘outer wall’ is taller and it shades the front element better without introducing vignetting"

What's the final say about HN-20 vs HK-4 on AF 28mm f/1.4? Longer? Deeper?
The HK-4 is for the old Ai 35-70/3.5 zoom, which is the early model with the 72mm filter. Obviously, it is wide enough not to vignette at 35mm on a film camera. I believe this hood works with the 28/1.4 on film cameras, not sure what happens if fitted over filters however. Since it is deeper it will provide better protection than the HK-7.

I know the HN-20 (for AiS 85/1.4) also works with the 28/1.4, but I've seen that only used with DX cameras, so I guess this hood is too deep for film cameras. Without having either hood at hand to measure, one can safely assume that the HN-20 is deeper than the HK-4, so will offer the best shading for the 28/1.4 on DX cameras.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom