Alternative Lens Hood for AF 85mm f/1.4

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Don't knowabout alternatives, however, I did try ONCE to shoot without a hood during a stage production, just to see, big mistake, lots of flare from the lights, must use the hood!

Cheers,

Wade

Don't knowabout alternatives, however, I did try ONCE to shoot without a hood during a stage production, just to see, big mistake, lots of flare from the lights, must use the hood!

Cheers,

Wade

Thanks for the feedback Wade. Yes, I think contrast will suffer. I'd just thought there was a larger lenshood which would make the already stunning images from the lens even better? :biggrin:

D

david d

The hood is one SMALL reason I am thinking about the 105 f2-the 105 has a built in hood
Dave

Roland Vink is the final arbitrator for Nikon lens hoods, serial numbers, plus various Nikon lens types and he belongs to this forum. Roland give the man your answer.

R

Removed User 2

Easy! The best hood is the one used for the Push-Pull 80-200 lens. Deep and narrow.

Clearly the best!

HN-28 it is.

For the 105 DC, 135 DC and (believe it or not) the 28 1.4, the best hood is the HN-20. If you own those lenses, please purchase the HN-28 + HN-20.

While I'm at it, is anybody using a different lens hood from the stock HN-31? Thanks.

If you're using a 1.5 crop camera, the HN-28 works great. It's smaller diameter than the HN-31 and it has a black crinkle finish that matches the 1.4/85mm!

Have not tested it with a film camera, but it probably vignettes some.

If you're using a 1.5 crop camera, the HN-28 works great. It's smaller diameter than the HN-31 and it has a black crinkle finish that matches the 1.4/85mm!

Oh yes ! I'm addicted to the old style crinkle finish. :cool:

Thanks for the info. Is the HN-28 longer and deeper than the stock HN-31?

Easy! The best hood is the one used for the Push-Pull 80-200 lens. Deep and narrow.

Clearly the best!

HN-28 it is.

Thanks for the info. Is the HN-28 longer and deeper than the stock HN-31?

For the 105 DC, 135 DC and (believe it or not) the 28 1.4, the best hood is the HN-20. If you own those lenses, please purchase the HN-28 + HN-20.

Again. Appreciate the info given. :smile: I own the 135mm f/2.0 DC but I've read that the screwed on telephoto lenshood from B+W is the one. I maye be wrong but from the looks of it, the B+W lenshood on B&H website looks longer and deeper than the HN-20. Is this correct?

B+W

HN-20

R

Removed User 2

Again. Appreciate the info given. :smile: I own the 135mm f/2.0 DC but I've read that the screwed on telephoto lenshood from B+W is the one. I maye be wrong but from the looks of it, the B+W lenshood on B&H website looks longer and deeper than the HN-20. Is this correct?

B+W

HN-20

The HN20 is heavy duty, fits also on the 28 1.4. It's deep and narrow enough so I don't think a longer hood will be extra beneficial, at this point.

The HN28 is exactly the same depth but it's narrower, flush with the lens. It looks much better, too.

or

Buy a roll of matte black masking tape and tape around the hood overlaping by 1/2 inch, allways flag the lens.

The HN20 is heavy duty, fits also on the 28 1.4. It's deep and narrow enough so I don't think a longer hood will be extra beneficial, at this point.

The HN28 is exactly the same depth but it's narrower, flush with the lens. It looks much better, too.

A probably stupid question, Ned: would you happen to know whether these hoods screw in the threads of a thin circular polarizer, like the Nikon CPL-II? I have the AIS 85/1.4, need a hood (which would be the HN-20). However, when considering a polarizer, I already have a 77mm CPL-II and a 72-77 step-up ring, and was wondering if using the HN-28 (or HN-31) with the step-up ring on the AIS 85/1.4 was a good way to go, allowing to mount the polarizer or not, with the same hood. Thanks!

R

Removed User 2

Philippe,

the hood screw on any regular filter thread. It really depends on the polarizing filter: Does it have threads? (Some do, some don't).

Not too sure about the 105mm f/2.0 DC but the 135mm f/2.0 DC built-in hood seems to be insufficient.
The hoods for the 105DC and 135DC are about the same depth, but the front element of the 105DC is recessed inside the mount so it already has some shade without the hood extended. Even so, the hoods for both lenses could be longer, especially on the smaller DX format. In the Nikon line, the only 72mm hood which is longer is the HN-20 for the AiS 85/1.4. It is only slightly longer than the built-in hoods, but also wider so I don't know if you gain much - the HN-20 even works with the 28/1.4 on DX cameras. The B+W 72mm Screw-In metal telephoto hood is much deeper, and is probably the best option for these lenses. You can get them from B&H.

The AF 85/1.4 has a 77mm filter so will require a different solution. The HN-28 seems an excellent alternative to the usual HN-31. It's about the same length but not as wide so it's more compact and gives better shade. I'd guess the B+W 77mm telephoto hood is the best hood if you want maximum shade as it is much deeper.

Nikon also make a deep HN-13 hood for their old-style 72mm polarizer. It fits the larger front thread of the filter. I'm not sure what the filter size is, if it's 77mm, it will probably also work with the AF 85/1.4 on DX cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Philippe,

the hood screw on any regular filter thread. It really depends on the polarizing filter: Does it have threads? (Some do, some don't).

Thanks Ned. The Nikon CPL-II has threads indeed, but being a thin filter (which works great with the 12-24 and 17-55), they are not very deep, so I was a bit worried about hanging a hood on them. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Be careful with the HN-20 as an alternative to the HN-31. The HN-20 has 72mm threads, and so does the AIS 85/1.4, but the AF 85/1.4 has 77mm threads, and the HN-31 does too. As such, there are not interchangeable, at least without some step-up (HN-31 on the AIS lens) or step-down (HN-20 on the AF lens) and I have no idea if that latter combination would even work on a DX body without vignetting...

Latest threads

Top Bottom