Alternative picture hosting tip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Jun 11, 2005.

1. For those of you looking for a place to host your images - that is cheap, friendly and reliable - I've been using www.photoshare.co.nz for nearly two years for all the stuff I post on forums such as these.

They are cheap, USD12 per 100MB per year, reliable and have quite nice self-design tools -- and they are based all the way over in New Zealand (which seems a nice part of the world to support financially)

Anyway, I have no connection with them whatsoever, but every now and again I read that some people seem unhappy with PBase, so I thought I'd just pass this on as something someone may find useful.

Best

Peter

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I second Peter's recommendation for PhotoShare. The system is straightforward and simple, and doesn't seem to hit so many of the dreaded red X's from some other sites.

I've used PhotoShare for a year-plus without problems.

John P.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sounds like a decent deal, but for less than $30 you can get a fully functional smugmug account with essentially unlimited storage and up to 4GB / month in traffic. They offer many services (on-line prints for example), and are seldom if ever down.

BTW, I am not associated with smugmug in any way except as a satisfied customer.

4. John, I'm a techno-moron, and a visit to that site didn't answer this question: Is linking to images on that site as simple as appending ".jpg" to the address of the image?

OK, and a second question: Do we know what the optimum size for posting there is so that the images look their best when linked here and elsewhere? (It was a year-long mystery for me with pbase.)

Thanks,

Mike

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

In my experience, it is best to post to your photo sharing site in the exact size that you plan to link to on forums like the Cafe. That way, you control the image size, and don't depend on the possibly less than optimal resize algorithms that your sharing site might use.

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,

Please refresh my memory about the maximum size requested here on the Cafe Forum..

Thanks!

Gaye

7. This is what I don't understand, I guess. I didn't think I had a choice in the size I post to the forum. It just appears there.

Recently, Uncle Frank said post at 800 pixels on the long side to pbase so it doesn't resize on you when you link to somewhere else. That seems to be working. Should I be doing differently?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Gaye,

You can post images of any size to the Nikon Cafe. However, anything larger than 960 pixels wide will be automatically resized to display at a 960 pixel wide shot.

When a picture is automatically resized by the forum, it will have a dotted line around it. If you click on the photo, a new window will open and display the picture full size.

9. Here's a test

OK, signed up and uploaded a test image. Seems pretty intuitive. This is an 800-pixel tall jpeg of the Mule Canyon Ruins, west of Blanding, Utah:

[​IMG]

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Here's a test

Mike,

That is an outstanding image. Looks like you figured it out on the first try.

As far as the max size that can be posted on the Cafe, Chris is correct (as usual). You can post any size, but if it is over 960 pixels wide, the Cafe software will resize it.

I'm not familiar with other sites, but on smugmug, you can link to Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, and Original versions of stored images. The URL only changes in a small way as follows:

Code:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/photos/24239853-Ti.jpg
    http://flew.smugmug.com/photos/24239853-S.jpg
    http://flew.smugmug.com/photos/24239853-M.jpg
    http://flew.smugmug.com/photos/24239853-L.jpg
    http://flew.smugmug.com/photos/24239853-O.jpg

The results look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

12. Thankis, Frank

Yeah, that helped immensely! I think you've anwered all my questions with that very impressive display with that neat shot!

Regards,

Mike

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Actually, I got the idea from Yves (BoobieJoe). He mentioned it in a post over on DPR. After looking at his results, I decided to adopt his process. 8)

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Mike :

I see you've resolved all of these issues while I was having lunch.

I should get out of my office for lunch more often !

John P.