Alternatives to Pocket Wizards

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by barriosa, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Anyone know of any decent alternatives to the Pocket Wizards? And yes (Paul L.) I know they are the Gold standard for professional photographers and the most reliable triggers on the market but they are way too expensive for my needs. Get me a 50% discount on them an I'll consider them

Anyone have any experience with the MicroSync system?

Thanks for any recommendations.

2. Quantum makes a "radio slave 4i", that I have been using that works well.

Mike

3. Mike I can't find range mentioned anywhere on their website. Do you know what it is off hand?

4. Pocketwizard is the way, the only way...:biggrin::biggrin:

There are several cheap ebay radio-triggers wich have gotten mixed reviews.

If you want to step up a little(and get consistent results) elinchrom have a universal skyport kit that are quite cheap.

And as you mentioned your self micro sync

quantum 4i But if was to spend that kind of money i would go with pw's anyway since the cost is pretty much the same.

337 vs 376 USD. Hardly a reason for not getting the industry standard.:wink:

5. Its 110m vs 60m with antenna up/down. Wich isnt all that much considering the price tag.

6. Thanks for the info Paul. I didn't realize that the price difference would be so negligible in some cases.

I'll probably get a set of PW's eventually but not until I am making more money with my camera.

7. sergeantcigar

sergeantcigar

Jan 3, 2007
    USA
    I've been using the 16 channel eBay import for about 6-8 months now, and I really don't have any complaints with them. They work. Others may have had some issues with them, but for me, no problems. It runs about $30 including shipping. Like you, at this point I can't see spending the money on the PWs.

8. SeargeantCigar,

Any particular ebay seller or store? I figure they are so cheap I could get a set to experiment with.

9. sergeantcigar

sergeantcigar

Jan 3, 2007
    USA
    There are several sellers of the unit I have. The transmitter has RF616 printed on it, and the receiver has RD616 on it. I *think* it is the only 16 channel unit being sold there right now.

The only problem I have had with mine was an occasional one time failure to trigger if I was standing right next to the receiver. I haven't been able to replicate the problem the last couple of times I used it, however. They just work.

I have not tried to 150 foot range on it. If you get one, let us know how it works for you.

10. There was an article here somewhere on extending their range.

11. irish-george

irish-george Guest

I also use the Quantum Radio Slave 4i and it works very well. I got it (new) for about 1/2 the price of the Pocket Wizards because that is what everybody wants now. When I bought it, there really wasn't any overwhelming reason to get the Pocket Wizards...if I were to re-buy today, I'd get the Pocket Wizards because they are now being built into flashmeters and studio flashes and it'd be nice to carry less around. But that is the only reason...the Quantum DOES work great and is available on 4 different channels AND there is something to be said for being able to shoot around other photographers w/o THEIR radio syncs firing YOUR flash units (I'm referring to Pocket Wizards not firing my Quantums).

12. I just bought a 16-channel transmitter and three recievers on ebay. "gadget-infinity" was the seller, if I'm not mistaken. I set up my strobes, went to the other end of the house (left the doors open so I could see if they actually fired), and pressed the shutter release. They worked fine. I haven't had the time to take them out for further testing, but I assume they'll perform well enough to justify the $60 that I spent on them.

13. sergeantcigar

sergeantcigar

Jan 3, 2007
    USA
    When I use the flash meter setting up, it really isn't a problem setting them off. I just bring the transmitter with me, without the camera, and use the trigger button on it. The transmitter is no bigger than a car alarm key-fob.

I don't know what real advantage there would be to using the meter to set them off. Does the meter isolate the flash it triggers, excluding other photographer's flashes? If so, I could see needing that feature if you shot around other's setups.

14. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Definitely worth a look. I got mine from GadgetInfinity and have dealt with them twice both time fast and reliable.

The 16 Channel does not work with the SB800 out of the box (except if they have made changes). I put up an article on how to mod it ... takes about 5 minutes.

http://capture360.net/index.php?page=9

15. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    I have been happily using the microsync for months now. My main reason for going that route was actually the size of the transmitter. I've had no trouble at all with them and my portys can't tell they're not PWs. LOL

16. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I've never heard of them but from what I just saw/read on their site they do look interestig. How are they price-wise compared to PWs ?

17. The real advantage would be not having to take of the trigger from the camera all the time.

Also you chose the channle you want t o trigger with your meter and thus you can only trigger key or fill i.e. (maybe you have this option on you trigger aswell ?)

I used to trigger my lights with a prolinca ir trigger attached to my meter (hanging around my neck) and when i was done i fitted it to the camera. Was alot of taking on and off during a few hours session when you changed the lightning.

But it worked, but hardly optimal.

18. sic1

sic1

Feb 9, 2007
    Chicago IL
    I just ordered one transmitter and 3 receivers from midwest photo exchange

http://mpex.com/ItemDetail.aspx?SKUID=12003&SKU=5000854110123&SN=0000&Q=False

http://mpex.com/ItemDetail.aspx?SKUID=12002&SKU=5000854117415&SN=0000&Q=False

did not want to wait for shipment from other country...shipping was 10.00 and they sent email saying coming tomorrow so ill let you know how it goes. The salesman actually test fired them in the shop and said the only complaint was if the batteries were not 100% secure they would not fire. He also said they were effective up to like 30 ft.but ill test when they get here.

19. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I'll add my voice to Paul's and encourage you to get the PW's. Yes....the initial outlay is steep, but you will get many, many years of service out of them and they work flawlessly. When you amortize the expense out over the next 10 years they seem downright reasonable.

20. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    I agree 100%.

If shooting multiple flash just for kicks and giggles, maybe those cheapo Chinese ebay units are ok. But the way I look at it is, if you can buy them for $29...they probably cost about .99ยข to make and you'll get what you pay for...

But if you're like me and NEED the flashes to fire every time, all of the time...simply buy PW's and don't look back.

You pay now or pay later...