Aluminum vs Paper prints

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
I am looking to get opinions on the Aluminum print vs the paper print. I have seen both and don't see much difference. If you have ant plus's or minus's about them it would be appreciated. Also If you want a metal print what is the best place to go??

Did you view the same image on each type ? I have not printed any metal prints in awhile. They are best to me when the image is bold/colorful, the colors really pop, it adds depth to the picture. I save it for specials for friends and for sale; they are easily marred. I really like it, it is just a bit $$.

I have a few metal prints that range from b&w to different types of landscape from adoramapix and I like them a lot. I mount them using a square made out of 1/2 by 1/2 square dowel rods to pop them out of the wall. Over all I think they have their place but still prefer to have paper framed prints.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
I am a big fan of metal prints and, depending on the end use by the customer and the size of the print, I often recommend metal instead of paper. True that metal is more expensive, but keep in mind that with a large print, the cost of mounting, matting and framing is often more expensive than a metal print that requires no frame. As mentioned above by others, some scenes look better on metal than others. Landscapes are my best sellers on metal, especially ones with strong, vivid color.

Couple of things to explore -

• What size did you print to metal? If you print anything less than 11x14, metal is a waste.
  • How good was your original? Obviously, since large size prints are recommended for metal, any flaw in the image is greatly magnified. If the photo is not razor sharp and well exposed with great resolution, there is no benefit in printing to metal. (Some, me included, would argue that if the photo is not technically great, why print on any medium? GIGO)
  • What lab did the printing? As with most things in life, there are good labs and not so good labs.
My most popular metal sized prints are 20x30 or 30x40. Metal prints to me (and obviously to those who buy from me) are often bold, eyepopping way to display photos. I use WHCC for my metal prints, but there are many quality photofinishers that offer good prints.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
............ I mount them using a square made out of 1/2 by 1/2 square dowel rods to pop them out of the wall. ....

I agree that the only way to properly display a metal print is to arrange it so it "floats" on the wall. The lab I use attaches aluminum spacer blocks to the back of the metal prints which have keyholes for easy mounting on the wall.

I am a big fan of metal prints and, depending on the end use by the customer and the size of the print, I often recommend metal instead of paper. True that metal is more expensive, but keep in mind that with a large print, the cost of mounting, matting and framing is often more expensive than a metal print that requires no frame. As mentioned above by others, some scenes look better on metal than others. Landscapes are my best sellers on metal, especially ones with strong, vivid color.

Couple of things to explore -

• What size did you print to metal? If you print anything less than 11x14, metal is a waste.
  • How good was your original? Obviously, since large size prints are recommended for metal, any flaw in the image is greatly magnified. If the photo is not razor sharp and well exposed with great resolution, there is no benefit in printing to metal. (Some, me included, would argue that if the photo is not technically great, why print on any medium? GIGO)
  • What lab did the printing? As with most things in life, there are good labs and not so good labs.
My most popular metal sized prints are 20x30 or 30x40. Metal prints to me (and obviously to those who buy from me) are often bold, eyepopping way to display photos. I use WHCC for my metal prints, but there are many quality photofinishers that offer good prints.

I agree with Rick. I've had great luck with metal prints. I've used a company called Black River Imaging. They do a wonderful job. I've printed over 50 images this way with good results. I prefer the clean look of a float block that mounts the print seamlessly off the wall. Most of mine were also 20x30 or 30x40. I did sell one print that was 24x60.

The key with metal prints is choosing the right image. Landscapes with good contrast and strong colors work best. I've done a few portraits, but didn't care for the look on metal.

Decorators love the clean look of these metal prints. There is no additional cost of the frame or matting you find with paper prints.

I sell mine for $500-800 dollars. My cost to print 20x30 is $187.

Latest threads

Top Bottom