1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Always carry a camera!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taco, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Last week I pulled a master angler channel cat out of the Red river and once again the Nikon was sitting @ home. Another guy with a cell phone took and sent me this pic. I fought this beast for 20 minuites on 8 lb. test line...Now I have a P&S with me at all times.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

382895626_dJToh-X2.

2. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    What a beast and great work on such light tackle!! Those things are like dragging in a tree stump!

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Great catch, Ted!!!

Glad you have a picture of it - this is a once in a lifetime moment! :biggrin:

4. Wowwwww, you managed to hold onto that for 20 mins on 8lb test!!! Monofilament or braided line?

Too bad the pic isn't of better quality, but better than nothing! This is why I've always got my little Canon P&S with me. You just never know when you'll need a picture.

Great fishing, Taco!!!!!!

5. Thanks for the kind words guys!!!

Pete- We were going after pickeral in the 2 to 3 lb. range and this bad boy almost ripped the rod out of my hands. I backed off the drag and let him run a few times to tire him out...After 20 min. we both needed a nap...:biggrin:

John- I've actually caught bigger and again no camera. This fish was 37.5 inches long and I estimate the wt. at 40 lbs. My fish scale only goes to 25 lb. and I stretched out the hook on the fish scale lifting this one......

Sandiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii- I was using 8 lb. mono on a cheap 30 buck rod /reel combo. You should try to catch one of these channel cats and hook a tow rope to your kayak...These cats will pull my 16 ft. fishing boat...:biggrin:

Cheers

6. Hey, Teddie, what was the weight of that beast, BTW??? You MUST have weighed it. My biggest this year was a 3.5 lb LM Bass, top water using rubber frog. The photo could NEVER compare to this beast of yours! :biggrin:

7. Sandiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I estimate the weight at 40 lbs. In Manitoba records are determined by length not weight. The all time record for a channel cat is 46.5 inches set in 1992. I have caught a 40 inch cat and had to arm wrestle it into the boat since it was too large for my net. You can also catch sturgeon here. I lost a huge one once that I estimate was at least 120 lbs. With something that big you don't stand a chance landing them with conventional rods and 20 lb. line......

Cheers

8. 120 lbs?!?! If I SAW a wild animal that big I would head in the other direction. Here you are trying to make one mad and drag it into your confined space!!

9. Nice Cat Ted, Fillet and realese?:biggrin: Nice steaks on that one.
    Tim

10. Hey Anthony

120 lbs. is not that big for a sturgeon. They are catch and release only and can live over 100 years. The biggest sturgeeon in Canadian waters was 360 KG. or 792 lbs..http://www.canadaka.net/forums/sports-f8/bc-catches-world-record-sturgeon-t16559.html

Hey Tim

Any cat over 24 inches has to be released...I find the best eating cats are under 10 lbs. I usually steak them and hickory smoke them for 12 hours...most people here throw them back... all they want is pickeral and sauger...We also have a fish here called burbot that resemble a catfish with an eels tail. They get pretty big and there's no limit on them...I cube them and boil the meat in salty water...The meat closely resembles lobster so we call it prairie lobster........

Cheers

11. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Nice catch Ted!

12. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    That shovel head is a hog for sure Ted, good work on landing him.

You secondary story reminds me of fishing the salmon run in pulaski, NY many years ago. At any given time you could hear 50lb test line snapping, sounding like a shotgun blast.
    I remember once these short older ladies just off to the side us managing to get one to the shore, they couldnt net it so one stepped in the water, grabbed it around the belly and got a hand on the mouth and flopped that thing on the rocks. She was laying on top of it, riding it like a wild bronco hoping to subdue it. Quite a scene, photo worthy Im sure.

I know some guys that really love the canon SD850 for fishing as you can get a waterproof case pretty cheap and dont have to worry about killing it in the drink. Some pretty nice photos also...

13. Will- Thanks...for half an hour I was a celebrity of the town of Lockport...I could have run for mayor......:biggrin:

Tim- Thank you...That Salmon fishing sounds very exciting..When I worked in British Columbia the locals were tired of eating salmon and used to bury whole fish in their gardens for fertilizer..:eek:  I'll check out that Canon camera...I presently have a Petax Optio P&S that I despise using.........

Cheers

14. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I bet you told that guy to send his camera phone in for calibration for it's softness and other image issues :wink:

15. Amazing how large some species of fish get! That looks like one of those dog-eating catfishes? :biggrin:

16. Hey Ted...

Nice to finally put a face on Taco! :biggrin: BTW where I come from we do not dress up that nicely to go fishing :wink:

17. Whyhan- I'm sure the cell phone owner would reaally appreciate that friendly advice...I'm on it.......:biggrin:

Jen- Cats are bottom feeders and if there was a dog on the bottom they'd eat it. Trust me you don't want to know what they eat.........

Dude- I usually have the Kurt Cobain look happenin and the only reason I look decent is I'm still wearing my work uniform since I was rushed. I'm obligated to look professional @ work but @ home I let my wife make the fashion decisions when we go out...........

Cheers

18. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

hope you released him?

19. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

yuk id sooner eat a box (cardboard) than a big ,old catfish.that bottom feeder will eat anything on the bottom of the river,lake,channel ect.like a decomposing carcas.even the smaller ones taste like mud.
    if you wanna eat catfish stick to grain feed,fammer pond rased.

20. Not to worry he was released and is with his other catfish buddies...It's illegal to keep a cat over 24 inches...nowadays the larger mature fish are conserved for breeding stock. I'd say 98% of the cats caught are released. Most people hate the wiskers and how slimy the fish are. Pickeral, sauger and gold eye are typically the only species kept.....

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.