1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Always learning...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Apr 30, 2007.

1. :biggrin: Hey Everybirdy,

Well I've been spending some serious time with the D200 lately. While it may help me run faster and jump higher :rolleyes:  , it still ain't gonna take the pictures for me without my finger on the button, to say the very least! :biggrin:
    A trip to Fort Desoto with the family is always pleasant but I was still left feeling I should have nailed a lot more than I did. The nuances of this camera are a pretty far cry (to me anyway) from the D70. The realization of the shortcomings of the 80-400 VR are becoming apparent. That's not to say I'm not getting some pleasing shots, but in some instances I'm left feeling they should have been better. Think I'm going to rent me a prime lens in the near future just for a taste....:biggrin:

Anyway, been swamped with PP of a steady flow of images for the past 2 weeks, aside from diaper changes ( not mine, I'm not a psycho astronaut!! :biggrin: ). Been resigned to being an infrequent lurker on the cafe and I don't like it!
    Here's some D200 & 80-400 VR shots from recentlly from Fort Desoto:

female Orchard Oriole
    original.

male Orchard Oriole
    View attachment 93293

male Blackpoll Warbler
    View attachment 93294

Northern Parula
    View attachment 93295

Cooper's Hawk munching on a Worm-eating Warbler
    View attachment 93296

Yellow-billed Cuckoo
    View attachment 93297

And fuinally, a Great Egret chowing down on a Kentucky Warbler
    View attachment 93298

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Great shots Thomas....nothing like nature shots at their best. Good luck with the prime and the lens lust that will accompany it. :biggrin:

3. Excellent set, Thomas. And great variety.

4. Thanks Dave & Phil. Was a blast shooting these birds!

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Nice series! That's the first time I have seen an Egret do that!

6. Thanks Dianne!

It is odd but Egrets are very opportunistic. On top of that, the Kentucky Warblers were being super mellow and very approachable. This is more than likely a result of just coming off the gulf and being exhausted and hungry. This bird (the one being eaten), just the day before, was walking directly at me as I was trying to photograph it, I was constantly walking backwards to get out of it's way! Behavior like that made it very east to see how an Egret would not hesitate to take it, and hence, did not. :eek: 

7. Superb shots Thomas!! I can't believe you got a cuckoo in the mulberries. Excellent!

Jose

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shots

9. Very nice! So egrets do eat whatever they can get to eh?

10. Thanks Jose. It flew out from behind the fountain, and into the MUlberry by the caretaker's fence, took some bad backlit shots while it was up in a tree, was so happy to see it land where it did! :biggrin: Wished it ha d been a little sharper though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.