*Always* turn around !

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by DMcG, Apr 26, 2005.

1. I wasn't all that certain that the "Always turn around" rule in case you missed an interesting subject, really applied to shooting landscapes - as things generally don't change very fast. I was out practicing panoramas at the weekend however, and turned round to see this sqall approaching at high speed !

large.

It was a fifteen minute jog back to the car, and I just made it before it hit !
    The full shot is at http://www.pbase.com/dmcg/image/42593293/original
    It's the entrance to the Manukau Harbour just outside Auckland.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Your right, nice going!! :D :D :D

4. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Hey Dougie,
    Nice shot. I'm headed out your way for my honeymoon in March 06. Do you have any suggestions of things that are "must see"?

thanks

5. It depends greatly on what you like doing, how long you've got and where you're flying in/out of.

A first pass would be -

North Island
    Auckland - big city but quite scenic
    Rotorua - Thermal area - geysers, boiling mud, hot pools etc
    Coromandel - Picturesque area - lots of quiet beaches, insane roads and orhinla Kauri forest.
    Central desert - desert area - active volcanoes (gently steaming just now)
    Napier - Art deco city rebuilt in 1930 after being demolished by a quake
    Wellington - Capital and Cultural centre - Te Papa museum.

South Island
    Marlborough region - wines and food - and scenery !
    West coast - rugged areas, old mining towns, crashing waves
    Glacier country - Franz Joseph and Fox Glaciers glaciers - walk from the car park.
    Queenstown - insane activity sports
    Milford Sound - spectacular fiords
    The mountains - views of mount Cook, Mt Aspiring, more glaciers
    The east coast and Otago - Wildlife, penguins, albatrosses, seals, whale watching.

Have a look at my pbase sight at the link in my sig, I'm trying to do a major update soonish.

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Wonderful Image !

Wish I were there when you took this.

Very nicely Done !

Regards

7. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Thanks for the tips, we're flying into Auckland and will be there for 20-25 days. The images of NZ on your site are really nice.