ALZO Flip Flash Bracket

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by zapufast, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  2. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    I haven't used or even seen it before. I do like the looks of it though and would like to hear what you think of it after trying it out.

3. Another Cafe' member pointed it out to me as a cheaper alternative.
    I bought the 10-pin remote shutter release, and the 24" Silver Umbrella.
    The rep I called said that the mount will lock in the vertical position, which was an option I wanted.
    I will let you know what I think of it when I get it and have a chance to try it out.

Tim

4. Tim,

Have you received the bracket? How do you like it so far?

- Alex

5. I don't want to knock your choice, but having just done my first wedding, I think attaching an umbrella to that thing will 1. be a bit too unwieldy. I used a regular bracket with flash and had no problems. 2. take up too much room. I was constantly moving and sometimes in tight situations. 3. look kinda silly! (sorry:redface:) I'm no expert, but I have found that trying to save a little doesn't go a long ways... I bit the bullet and order a CB (Custom Bracket) Digital Pro http://www.custombrackets.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=121 and absolutely LOVED it! Pricey at $350, but, if I'm using it professionally at weddings and making money, very well worth it. I tried a cheap bracket (Stroboframe flip) and it lasted all of three shoots before falling apart!

6. I don't use it much, but I like the frame. I have never used the umbrella:biggrin:, BTW, I used the Stroboframe RL (I think) and I prefer the ALZO over it.
    If you are doing it full time or have plenty of money, go for CB or RRS.
    It meet my needs, I am a machinist and I modified a few quality control issues.

Hope this helps.

7. Would you please elaborate on what the quality control issues were?

Thanks.

8. The small foot that flips out to hold the unit upright is held on by a pressed on alumunim disc. It was loose when I got it, so I thought it was threaded so I turned it to tighten it....just to realize that it was pressed on, so that really loosed it up.

I took it to work and did this:
    See the stainless screw....basically made it into a clamp collar, what it should have been in the first place. Works Great!
    original.