Am I crazy to think good lens gives you cleaner pictures?

Just got the 70-200 VR II last Friday and was fooling around with it taking pictures around the house. It it super sharp alright but I think it must be my imagination because all the high iso photos I took look cleaner than my other lenses. I am using a D700 and I am comparing it to my 80-200 afd (which will be on Craigslist soon).
Imagination or not I like what I see and I think it is hard earned money well spend. Can't wait to take it out this Friday night for my daughter's figure skating club ice show.

Cheers!

Just got the 70-200 VR II last Friday and was fooling around with it taking pictures around the house. It it super sharp alright but I think it must be my imagination because all the high iso photos I took look cleaner than my other lenses. I am using a D700 and I am comparing it to my 80-200 afd (which will be on Craigslist soon).
Imagination or not I like what I see and I think it is hard earned money well spend. Can't wait to take it out this Friday night for my daughter's figure skating club ice show.

Cheers!

I am sure it is your brain convincing you that $2500 is OK!!! :)

It it super sharp alright but I think it must be my imagination because all the high iso photos I took look cleaner than my other lenses.

Noise (or lack thereof) is a function of the sensor. However, the green channel usually has twice the data of RB, do a comaprison test between your lenses and measure the green channel data, it could be that the 70-200mm II has a lower Green channel shift. That's a lot of measuring, and not sure that this is the cause, but if you want to get to the bottom of it....

I think both of you are right. I will take Dave's explanation but give UniquePortraits' explanation to my wife.:biggrin:

I have not looked but its possible that the newer lens has less tranmission loss. I'm not sure there would be enough of a difference to notice a difference in noise though.

Shoot a gray card in stable lighting with both. Manual exposure with the same setting used for both. Open files in photoshop, convert to lab, and compare.

I used to be happy with my 50 f1.8. But ever since I started using 70-200/2.8 and Tokina's 11-16/2.8, it seemed softer than I remember. Or it takes more effort for me to get similar quality as my better lenses.

No you're not crazy, I noticed the same thing and I thought I was crazy. I am sold on this Nano coating stuff - the images have a certain 'pop' to them, more punchy colors, and amazing clarity. My personal explanation is that the newer coatings are much more efficient in reducing internal flares and stray light which in turn contributes to the overall clarity of the images. I own a lot of old lenses and I don't see this kind of clarity with them, especially on backlit situations.

I have a bunch of MF Ai/AiS lenses and recently acquired a D7000 + kit , 35 1.8, 60 2.8 N.

the increased color saturation over the AFD and Ai lenses is easily seen. I ended up getting a 105 VR and 50 1.4 G for FX because of it. I will keep the 28 and 35 Leica PC for wide landscape work on FX. They are not better than than those lenses.

Nana may have something to do with it, but the 50 is not nano, nor is the 35 1.8. The is something more to it or in addition to nano.

Any lens can look great using the proper technique. If you use the same technique with every lens, you aren't getting the most out of them.

I actually do feel like really sharp lenses do better at high ISOs, for some reason. That doesn't necessarily mean expensive or new, my (free, but cheap to buy) 100 Series E seems like it's very clean at 1600 or 2000 compared to my 70-200. I think that, somehow, noise is less noticeable in a very sharp photo, especially along sharp edges, than it is in a somewhat soft picture.

you are def crazy. D40 + 18-55 kit lens. Not me, but great inspiration that you don't need to have the latest and greatest to do wonderful things.

5709363634_cab984bc95.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

boba femme by drewshoots, on Flickr
Don't think this one is straight out of the camera.
But I do admit that most likely I AM crazy...

That's not out of camera.

I didn't say it's impossible. It takes more effort (in camera or post) with cheaper glass.

you are def crazy. D40 + 18-55 kit lens. Not me, but great inspiration that you don't need to have the latest and greatest to do wonderful things.

[URL]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/5709363634_cab984bc95.jpg[/url]
boba femme by drewshoots, on Flickr

That's a lot of post and strobes going on there. But it is a good reminder that it is most peoples knowledge and skill that limit them, not their gear.

In regards to the original post: There tends to be a reason the "good" lenses cost the money they do.

Cheers!

It's the magic Nano dust.:biggrin:

I think so; shooting with a D200 I notice a difference when using the higher ISO setting between lens. I'm sure the diffence would be less with a newer body like the D700 which is know for it's high ISO performance.

Latest threads

Top Bottom