Am I Just Bored?

Discussion in 'People' started by LauraJohnston, Jun 23, 2007.

1. I did a shoot with a girl today.. who I think is incredibly cute. It was just hard for me to find inspiration. I feel like I'm getting bored with the stuff I'm shooting. These are the first few that I processed... what do yall think? Bleh? I'm feeling kinda bleh.

original.

original.

original.

[​IMG]

2. Logan

Logan Guest

laura, these are far from BLEH! way to go at setting a standard here, your work is some of the best in the cafe, dont doubt yourself! this is real talen so keep it up!!!

3. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Sorry Laura....I can't join your pity party. These are outstanding. The third and fourth are off the charts.

4. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I like #2 a lot!

5. I agree! Incredible. She is simply stunning.

6. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    while the shots are good. and the girl is shockingly good looking. I can sorta see what your saying.

The only thing I could say is the shots look a little flat to me. could very well be the small web sized pics. but maybe some harder light would add some depth to the pictures?

7. I think 1 and 4 are nice Laura. #2 is much better than nice, I really like it. I think the positioning of her arms in #3 make her look too thin.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The chick is a looker alright. And you've taken some fine pix of her. So you could continue doing that for a long time and your adoring public would love it.

However, she looks a little bit bored. Give yourself a nudge sideways, and take a different direction with your work. Have fun. Use your obvious skills.

9. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Sweet! your creativity shows through in your pictures. I enjoyed them very much.

10. What you're saying is probably definitely a factor. I think I've been experimenting with how to light things in different styles and I'm probably getting bored of this style but for some reason, I'm having a hard time dragging myself away. BUT! I did use natural light on all of these, which is a step. Thanks! Haha.

11. It's not the position it's that the light from behind her is wrapping around her arms and it makes her look unnaturally thin.

12. I don't know if you are bored but the model seems to be bored stiff and it comes across in the images. The shots are very good but would have been better if she had just tightened up a face muscle or two. I guess we as shooters have to become entertainers of a sort to get the look we want.

Phil

13. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Laura these are good, but IMO they just don't seem to have have the "Laura" slant - that cool artistic hipness to be specific.

14. Great shots Laura!! If these are what you came up with no inspiration, I want to be bored too!!!!!!!!!!! #3 is my favorite of the bunch.

15. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    fantastic set...they're all so different. and she's a really lovely girl. natural light is my favorite, even though i love studio lighting. i can't even pick a favorite, i like them all too much.

the PP is gorgeous too.

i think we all go through phases of bleh. i had a huge period of bleh before my last creative surge. but these are still fantastic....and the bleh i guess is just there to keep you fresh and avoid stagnation.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm going to agree with you Laura. These look at little flat, or common, compared to what you normally show. The model looks lifeless and the light has no character.

You just need to find your rhythm again. It happens to everyone.

Hope I don't upset you. Just my honest opinion.

17. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Laura, #3 is great. They all are great.

I think you do so many unusual and fantasy type shots that you have reached a plateau. Take a break and shoot something else for a while. Maybe tractor pulls or rodeo clowns :smile:

These are all great, I havent seen anything you have posted that I didnt like.

18. Laura, you set the bar so high. It is impossible to reach those heights with every shoot. I for one would be thrilled with these images if they were mine, but your standards are considerably higher.

Technically, these are great. I agree that the model comes across as bland and unenthused. Was this what you were going for? Was it you? Was it her? Or was it just an off combination of things that day???

Shoot yourself out of this funk.

19. thanks for all the comments :)
    i guess it was kind of a bad day... the model came late, she was supposed to bring a couple of key things that she didn't bring.. it was hot as H outside so we decided to shoot indoors and three of the first places we went to were not available for one reason or another. but i think i'm getting tired of shooting the same stuff anyway, i'm drifting into drawing and painting mode so I might chill out with the camera for a little while. maybe. haha :)

20. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I was going to say the same thing, but Phil just said it better, so I'll quote him :wink: