Am I just too old? (pity party?)

Well here is my take, you already have purchased the AB's, set them up in your home and start shooting.
Start playing with ratios between your lighting.
This is not film anymore, your cost is zilch.
Play with the ISO, f stop, shifting the light stands around.
No models, get a mannequin and self critique your lighting and shadows.
Hang a black sheet and or white sheet, see what happens for backgrounds.

I'm still playing with my SmithVictor ultracheap umbrella setup for speedlights and have been having fun? Maybe.

?

Coming late to this thread -- hadn't seen it the last time i was on here yesterday. I hear you, Dianne, in feeling overwhelmed and a bit discouraged and not sure if you've done the right thing in buying that lighting setup, etc. It will be a learning curve, but there should be some fun in the learning and it will definitely keep you busy and on your toes! I know that sometimes when I've bought something new that I don't quite know how to use yet, it can be overwhelming and frustrating, and I just have to remind myself that it will take a little time and patience on my part, but if I don't at least try working with it and using it that I might as well have saved my money and not purchased it.

I haven't been doing much shooting over the past year or so.....seems as though my enthusiasm waxes and wanes. I'm hoping that this spring we'll have the kind of weather that gets me excited about being outdoors with camera in hand and that I'll be shooting a lot again. I know from past experience that once I plunge back into it, that fires up my excitement and interest again and then I'm able to enjoy it and have fun with it.

Yes, Dianne -- open those boxes, look everything over carefully, peruse the manuals and experiment. Experimenting is the best way to learn. As others have already said -- try different things, see what happens when you do "x", see what happens if you try "y", etc., etc.

Good luck!

In any discipline as you progress, you go through peaks and valleys. At one point you feel like what you're doing is great, and your work is fantastic. Then as you gain more knowledge and experience, you look at your work and think, it's not as good as I thought.

Then you work again, study, gain more experience and again, your work goes up a level. Then after a while, once again you think, your work is not that good, and you feel overwhelmed. You just keep doing that over and over again. It's human nature.

I think at this point, you are in the valley. Which if you think about it, is great. You're right now thinking, studying, and about to go up a level. How exciting! Once you open those boxes, look things over, you'll probably feel overwhelmed for a few minutes, but then, you will very likely be taking the best images you have taken to date. You'll see, you will impress even yourself.

Open the boxes, set it all up, watch a few YouTube vids. By next week you'll have some images that you'll be thrilled with.

Thanks ya'll - I'm staying the course! We went to buy shampoo for my daughter - our hairdresser is also a pro photog, been one for 35+ yrs. He saw some of my MX shots and said, "gal, you better not give those away!" I'm working on pricing now. Also, I've always called my "business" "fotos by Dianne" well that's a bit hard to remember so how about EARLEYBIRD PHOTOGRAPHY. Earley is my last name, early bird is easy to remember and of course the rest is a no brainer. I guess when I hit a slump or what ever you wanna call it, I panicked - the older I get I do that. I still have to snap a photo of the boxes and still have to open them.

I had a home based business doing something I loved when my girls were at home. I made dolls and sold them at craft fairs and specialty shops. I designed patterns and marketed them. It was a great way to earn money while being a stay at home mom. The problem was, I did it for many years, and burned out. Now I can hardly stand to sit at my sewing machine. I took something I loved and put pressure on myself to earn money from it. So, I turned to photography as something new, yet still creative, to learn and enjoy. I was determined to not make it into another "job". But, I did help my daughter get started as a professional portrait photographer (she is doing very well with it)!! It all depends on what you want to get out of photography. If making money on it will make you happy, or if it will fulfill a need to provide for your family, then I say go for it!! Just be aware that making it into a job will probably eventually make it seem like "work", not fun. I am glad I kept my photography as a hobby. I still enjoy it, although my health makes it a bit more difficult. You just need to analyze why you are doing it for money and figure out if making it into a job is fun for you, or not.

That is a very good point, Terri! When it stops becoming fun and becomes a chore, a "job," another task and responsibility that must be handled, then that is probably not good. I know that the year that I tried to do a Photo-of-the-Day/365 project, I burned out in the middle of I think it was October and for a long time didn't even pick up a camera at all. It had stopped being fun, it had become something I "HAD" to do and there were days when I forced myself to take a photo because of the project. I learned a lesson from that!

Dianne, one thing I've noticed about your threads through the years is that you tend to place too much emphasis on obtaining the gear without fully understanding why you want the equipment. This was true when you were searching for lenses for your marching band photos years ago. It seems it is true now again with your purchase of lighting equipment.

Why did you buy the lighting equipment? What is your business plan that requires you have studio lighting? You currently shoot marching bands and MX. Perhaps you should focus on getting better in those arenas before you venture into a completely different area light studio portraiture.

I'm not suggesting you cannot learn to use studio lights. I am concerned that you will just overwhelm yourself with information that will not really help you with your current photographic endeavors. This will only lead to frustration, mediocre photography and failure.

Dianne, one thing I've noticed about your threads through the years is that you tend to place too much emphasis on obtaining the gear without fully understanding why you want the equipment. This was true when you were searching for lenses for your marching band photos years ago. It seems it is true now again with your purchase of lighting equipment.

Why did you buy the lighting equipment? What is your business plan that requires you have studio lighting? You currently shoot marching bands and MX. Perhaps you should focus on getting better in those arenas before you venture into a completely different area light studio portraiture.

I'm not suggesting you cannot learn to use studio lights. I am concerned that you will just overwhelm yourself with information that will not really help you with your current photographic endeavors. This will only lead to frustration, mediocre photography and failure.
hey - first I appreciate your observations! I've been caught at least 6 times in as many months needing lights - yes, I shoot band, but also do a lot of special sessions with the smaller bands. A prime example - 2 weeks ago, I met with the jazz band to do an "urban" jazz shoot - the kids were supposed to look like they were outside a jazz club, just jamming around. It was so dark, I told the director I didn't think I could handle the session without using flash or some kind of light. In my opinion, it went down hill from there. There was a guy with the band who is a photo shop expert - he said he could fix anything in PS - well, I believe bad can't be fixed. I put tons of work in my craft, it's for the kids and I don't like failing them! I spent a good part of last night working on the photos, and everyone - EVERYONE I know locally, said the same thing. That's why I bought the lights. I have 2 official years at West and perhaps more - until someone with equipment and skills better than mine come along. I used to try to be a "jack of all trades" but finally figured out it was far better to be an "expert" at 1 and forget the rest. I am in demand at 2 school and about to be a 3rd. Most parents just don't want to spend the $$$$ on photography equipment, however they want great photos of their kids! That means me - for now. Oh yeah, the cell phones and tablets are in use, but one thing that brings a smile to my face is when a parent walks up and tells me I do a great job - better than they do with their devices. My lights will be used on location - not a studio. When I can control the time, the when, and the where, I never have any issues. BUT in the case of that urban shoot - I was not in total control and it bothered me. The director knows it too. Oh, this thread inspired by my "failure" with that shoot. At times, I feel like I'm just too old to be starting out with the hopes of at a day I may actually make a few extra $$$.

until someone with equipment and skills better than mine come along.
The speed at which someone like that comes along correlates directly with the pay. If the shoots pay enough for a professional to take the job, they will come!

I am in demand at 2 school and about to be a 3rd. Most parents just don't want to spend the $$$$ on photography equipment, however they want great photos of their kids!
"In demand" at what price?

People usually don't want to spend the money on photos either! They'll take quite a few pictures for free!

And, buying the equipment is the easy part. Learning how to master multiple strobes on location for group shots is the hard part.

My lights will be used on location - not a studio.
Again, this introduces a whole new level of complexity.

Glenn

I have multiple flashes, umbrellas, and soft boxes. I also have some studio strobes, but I have learned that hauling all that gear around, setting it up, and fiddling with it just isn't for me. My daughter does it, though. She is currently shooting local basketball leagues. The city give her the chance to do it. She pays her boys to help her haul and setup gear. She is making very good money doing it. But, she spent a lot of time learning how to use the equipment before she was able to earn money using it. She also does portrait photography and is in high demand. The thing I have learned from watching her is that it is a LOT of work. She puts in the effort to do a lot of online training to constantly upgrade her skills. She doesn't buy much as far as new gear goes. She has a minimal kit, but she knows exactly what she needs and how to use it. She uses a D810, has only 3 lenses, the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and 50 f1.8. She also has her studio lights and smart wizards and one Nikon flash. But she has a booming business going. Making money has a lot to do with having that business sense and being frugal with your expenses. Now, I have 2 different camera systems, 11 lenses, lots of accessories. If I was running a business, I would be losing a lot of money.....YIKES!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom