Am I mad ? (d700)

Right a bit of background. I currently own a D800 (for landscape work), a new D7100 (for telephoto nature shots) and an ageing D300s which I just can't get rid of as I love it's feel and build and to be honest, wouldn't be worth much on the secondhand market anyway.

I'm now considering adding a Used (cheap) D700 to the fold for vacations and times when the D800's 36mp's is just overkill. I have better range of FX lenses than DX so thought the trusty old D700 would be a brilliant take anywhere camera.

Trouble is, the D300s keeps looking at me and saying "I'm also 12mp, and although I'm not a good at high ISO images than the D700, for my time, I'm not bad, and am as well build and faster than the D700".

The good(ish) DX lenses I have are the 17-55 F2.8 AFS and the Sigma 10-20.

For FX my main lenses are the 16-35 VR, 24-70 F2.8, 24-120 F4 VR and 70-200 F2.8 VR II.

So, am I mad to consider a D700 or just stick with the D300s as a walkabout (or indeed the D7100) camera ?

Not mad at all, D700 is much better camera than D300 in all respects except dedicated DX sensor plus both share few things like battery and feel in operation.

I am running D700 since 2008 and probably my last digital Nikon unless they produce something small full frame and professional quality like digital FM/FE2/FMA3. Mine is customised wit KatzEye manual focus screen and i had to replace peeling rubber armouring but otherwise running smooth.

Used to have D300 from day one, sold it a while back.

Question for you; rather than buying 12MP FX camera can't you set up your D800 to shoot FX at reduced pixels?

Real Name
Dan
I've nearly pulled the trigger on both used D700 and D3. Considering what you have in the locker already, much the same as mine, it doesn't make sense to me to go backward to previous gen technology. For travel/walkaround a DX body is smaller/lighter anyway. Funny you're discussing everything but the D7100 in that context. How so?

The D800 has become my default "go anywhere" body. Awesome in FX mode, still plenty MP in DX mode, good ISO performance, pro features, weatherproof... What's not to like. I probably shoot mine at least half the time in DX mode. For a camera that was designed primarily for portrait/landscape, IMO it is the most versatile camera on the market.

I've nearly pulled the trigger on both used D700 and D3. Considering what you have in the locker already, much the same as mine, it doesn't make sense to me to go backward to previous gen technology. For travel/walkaround a DX body is smaller/lighter anyway. Funny you're discussing everything but the D7100 in that context. How so?

The D800 has become my default "go anywhere" body. Awesome in FX mode, still plenty MP in DX mode, good ISO performance, pro features, weatherproof... What's not to like. I probably shoot mine at least half the time in DX mode. For a camera that was designed primarily for portrait/landscape, IMO it is the most versatile camera on the market.

I like this school of thought. I have a D3 and D700. I bought the D700 last April. I wish I had a D800 now. At first I didn't want the high MP, but now I see the crops people can make and the detail it captures. I'd sure love to have one!

Sounds like you have enough bodies.
I'd save up for the 80-400 for your wildlife shots and use the nice little D7K or the versatile D800 as a walk around.
Have fun!
Fred

The D700 excels in high ISO over the D300S. The D300S has dual card slots and video which is nice. Keep both!

So the general concencous is, just use the D800 in DX crop mode (and still be able to shoot raw), or use the D7100 (which I'm still evaluating at the moment) ?

Real Name
Dan
So the general concencous is, just use the D800 in DX crop mode (and still be able to shoot raw), or use the D7100 (which I'm still evaluating at the moment) ?

Bingo :biggrin:

I've finally figured out that though it always seems like a good idea to keep that old camera around for knockabout, once you see what the new ones can do the old just ends up collecting dust. If we photogs weren't always trying for that perfect photo it may be otherwise. But then we'd just be taking photos with our cell phones :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
From my experience the D800 in crop mode is not equal to the D700. The D800 is better at low ISO for dynamic range and certainly has more resolution at full size but I prefer the files I get from the D700 compared to the d800 in crop mode and I think the focus system is a lot more reliable...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom