Am I Missing Something? File Size?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Baywing, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    A client has sent the following requirements: images scanned in color, RGB, at 300 dpi. If from a digital camera, they should be taken at the highest resolution and largest size. Jpegs or Tiffs and sent as an e-mail attachment, Zipped so that the final file is no more than 2 Mb!
    Now, I'm not a novice, but this Zipping stuff is a bit new. I have an image, about 5"x8" at 300 dpi, size is about 23Mb. I zipped it, new packed size is about 14Mb!! It seems that to get down to the 2Mb size, I'd have to reduce the image to about 2"x3.5" at the requested 300dpi. What's the point? Or, am I missing something in the process......
    TIA

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Hi Baywing,

I use White House Custom Color (WHCC) for most of my printing and their requirement is an image cropped to size at 300 DPI. My 5x7 in. images are usually well under 2MB, depending on the detail in the print. I use a sizing plug in from Fred Miranda, SI Pro, which makes it very easy to size my images for printing.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, guys. I think what happened is that I used Thom Hogan's sharpening method on a shot. That creates an extra channel that can't be flattened like a layer, and thus extra Mb for the image. It wasn't making sense, I know a full-fine jpeg from my D100 only eats up about 3 mb, couldn't figure how the same shot, cropped down, was up to 20 mb. Their requirements still amuse me, they want this large, high quality image, but it's ok to jpeg compress it, then WinZip it so it fits in their in-box......which they will send to their lay-out guy and in use, it will be 1.5"x3" at 72 dpi. And people wonder why I don't go pro.....