Am I missing something here? (Photoshop)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bfullmer, May 28, 2005.

1. While roaming around a certain online auction site, I stumbled onto Photoshop v7 being offered by numerous sellers for VERY low prices. :shock: They supposedly are legitimate versions complete with product keys. As I understand it this is the version that preceded PSCS, correct? If I were to buy one of these, I would be one step behind current product, (although much farther behind in competency :oops: ).

What am I giving up by going this route to get the software and learn from a community ed class and/or books? I usually follow the old adage that if something's too good to be true, it probably is. What's the catch?

Brian

2. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Brian,

I would check it out completely...make sure it's legit.

As far as PS 7, you would actually be two versions behind. The current Photoshop CS2 is actually 9.0.

The old adage does hold true often in this type of situation.

C

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have heard of this. You will still need to upgrade the copy you buy to PSCS2 at an additional cost of $150.

4. Brian,

Don't know about the auction ones you mentioned. If you provide a link, maybe we can offer a better idea on their legimitacy. As it is, you have not provided much info for us to help beyond what Cory already pointed out.

I would add that there are plenty of illegitimate sales of PS out there on the web -- and yes, they all come w/ activation keys, but are illegitimate nonetheless.

Now, if you're asking whether those illegitimate copies of PS will work on your computer, then the answer is very likely yes -- you'd probably have to look hard to find ones that don't work even if the price seems way too good to be true. :D However, if you go w/ an illegitimate copy of PS 7, then you might not be able to apply a PS upgrade on top of the illegitimate license/installation in the future.

And of course, all this does not speak to any moral/ethical issues and implications involved there.

Still, maybe those copies of PS 7 you speak of are indeed legitimate -- afterall, as Cory says, Adobe is up to PSCS2 (ie. v9) just recently. We can't really know w/out more details -- again, a link would help.

Also, I never had PS 7, so I'm not sure. But you should find out if PS 7 will even work w/ the Camera RAW plug-in (v2.x) -- assuming that's something you'd want for RAW conversion. If it does not work w/ Camera RAW, you might be better off buying PS Elements 3 instead, which even works w/ the latest Camera RAW plug-in (v3.x), and offers many of the features found in PS 7 -- probably the only substantial thing missing is curves adjustment, which is quite significant though the new curves features in Camera RAW (v3.x) will help offset the missing post-RAW curves somewhat if you're shooting RAW anyway. You should find out more about whatever differences though as I don't know all the details myself -- you can always download PSE3 for a free trial too. And I believe Adobe does offer upgrades from PSE3 to full PSCS2 (and probably the next future version as well) although the upgrade price is very steep -- essentially makes PSE3 price + PSCS2 upgrade price = PSCS2 non-upgrade price.

_Man_

5. Ask the seller to send you the S/N of what they are selling so that you can check with Adobe that it is indeed un-registered and legitimate for you to use. With the new activation sceheme, this is checked and tracked by Adobe. I spoke with a rep there the other day, due to having to re-activate my copy of PSCS after a system rebuild, and he told me of one case they saw where the same S/N was attempted over 10,000 times for activiation. Needless to say, it didn't work.

If the seller won't comply, and my guess is they won't, then you have your answer.

Caveat Emptor.....

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Actually your best bet if you have no adobe PS programs, would be to buy Adobe element 3. ACR 3 works with it.

Then when you are ready to buy the up-grade to CS2 you will be all set.

If you don't know PS at all, in my opinion GIMP, which is free is a great alternative and works great.

Same learning curve and I like the interface a tad better actually.

Gimp come along way.

Just my half cent :>))

I would not go the e-bay way ............

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    (Actually PS7 did not use activation - just a regular 'password' key to unlock the program, and no it does not work with ACR 2.x. It had it's own $100 extra plug-in that Adobe doesn't sell anymore.)

Gale - Does GIMP do any kind of Raw conversion?

8. Thanks Cory, Chris, Man, Bill and Gale for your info. I'm obviously out of my comfprt zone here and it's good to have folks like you to point me in the right direction.

I don't want to do anything illegal/unethical/immoral, I just want to find the most cost effective way to get my feet wet with software that will allow me to grow with it as I get more proficient. Having access to plug-ins is also desirable. Is there a big selection of plug-ins for the current version of Elements?

Thanks again,
    Brian

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Brian,

Many Photoshop plug-ins will work in Elements. Basically, check with the author for compatibility.

Which plug-ins interest you?

C