Am I out of line???***WARNING!!! LONG READING AHEAD***

Let me be the voice of dissent over here. Nikon warranties (and consequentially service advisories) apply only to the original buyer. Yes, this is a scam that too many manufacturers engage in, but it is legal and we know about it upfront. So technically, Nikon is not obligated to cover this free of charge.
Incorrect. In this particular instance Nikon is obligated. You have taken true information regarding Nikon warranties and used that to post a false assumption about the D2H metering advisory. The service advisory for the D2H metering problem applies to the camera and does NOT require that the current owner be the original owner. I spoke with Nikon Service about this specific issue prior to buying my D2H used. In addition, for those owners (original or not), with an out-of-warranty camera that had already sent their D2H in and paid for the repair prior to Nikon making the repair free, Nikon has agreed to reimburse them for what they paid.

"To obtain complimentary service for cameras affected by this advisory, please click the link below to download and print the Service Return Form. The Service Return Form provides return instructions. " http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D2H-Service-Advisory.page

"Q: I have already experienced problems identified in this advisory and sent my camera to Nikon Inc. for repair. Because my camera's limited warranty had expired, I was charged for the repairs. Am I entitled to a refund for those charges?
A: Yes, please provide Nikon with a copy of the Nikon Inc. repair receipt associated to the previous repair. Your repair receipt copy must include your camera model and serial number. Send it to:
" http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/Frequently-Asked-Questions.page

Sent one of my D2h's in for this same repair this year. Downloaded the form and sent Body to nearest facility which was in California. Repairs were effected promptly (in less than a week) for no charge. The repair ticket showed that a board had been replaced and a cleaning and adjustment to standard specs preformed. They also updated the firmware (but only the 'A' side not the 'B' which I thought unusual). I purchased the body used on Ebay. Actually the only repair I have ever had done on a body either new or used. Could not ask for better service. Camera looks and functions like new.

I agree with you 100% in your characterization of this as a "recall". FWIW, I just brought my car in on a minor recall this week. Although I'm the original owner, the instructions asked me to forward the name/address of the buyer if I had sold the car, so that the manufacturer could then contact them. ...And I certainly didn't need to bring my receipt for the purchase of the car.

Thanks!

Just wondering GOA510, did you fill out THIS FORM when you sent it in?

When I first found the service advisory I saw that form, but for whatever dumb reason when I sent it in I used the regular service form. I had just forgot that it had its own service form :(

From my own experience and what I have read from others Nikon Service is horrible. Obviously this was a defective product they sold, they put out an advisory saying they would fix the problem. A good customer service would have been yes sir sorry for the mistake on the charge we will fix it right away.

But not Nikon. And now they find a bent CF card pin that is going to cost $400+ to fix? Sounds beyond suspicious to me.

Exactly, I don't see how the two could cost the same. One determines your exposure and the other one reads a memory card. Can't the see the CF card reader being that expensive, unless its made of pure gold.

This is Nikon in El Segundo right? I agree with everyone else: they are out of line, not you. Let us know what happens. FWIW my only experience with them (with a D2Hs) was very positive, but that was a few years ago.

Yeap the Nikon Service Center in El Segundo. I had sent my SB-600 in a few months back because the bulb had gone out. Didn't have a single problem there, although it was covered by the warranty.

Incorrect. In this particular instance Nikon is obligated. You have taken true information regarding Nikon warranties and used that to post a false assumption about the D2H metering advisory. The service advisory for the D2H metering problem applies to the camera and does NOT require that the current owner be the original owner. I spoke with Nikon Service about this specific issue prior to buying my D2H used. In addition, for those owners (original or not), with an out-of-warranty camera that had already sent their D2H in and paid for the repair prior to Nikon making the repair free, Nikon has agreed to reimburse them for what they paid.

"To obtain complimentary service for cameras affected by this advisory, please click the link below to download and print the Service Return Form. The Service Return Form provides return instructions. " http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D2H-Service-Advisory.page

"Q: I have already experienced problems identified in this advisory and sent my camera to Nikon Inc. for repair. Because my camera's limited warranty had expired, I was charged for the repairs. Am I entitled to a refund for those charges?
A: Yes, please provide Nikon with a copy of the Nikon Inc. repair receipt associated to the previous repair. Your repair receipt copy must include your camera model and serial number. Send it to:
" http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/Frequently-Asked-Questions.page

73Z1 nailed it. I was a little worried about not having the receipt but everything I read on other websites and Nikonusa.com didn't say a word about having to have the receipt, since it was Nikon's own mistake. A couple of reps at Nikon had mentioned that the reason it was taking so long is because I didn't send the receipt in, they clearly didn't understand what a service advisory was so I had to explain it to them a couple times till it clicked.

Thanks again for all the support, helps me to believe I'm not losing it over here :)

Have a little bit of an update.....

Haven't heard anything since last week (believe it was Tues/Wed) so I called in yesterday, luckily their phones were actually on unlike Friday. I explain my situation to the rep and try to keep it to the point. Of course, nothing shows that a decision has been made. And of course he can't do anything, so he
"expedites" my case to upper management with a guarantee I'll hear back in 24-48hrs. I tell him I appreciate that, but he needs to understand that every time I call I'm being told this or that will be done and nothing gets done. Seems like every other time I call, that rep actually does that their going to say their going to do. So I repeat myself again to him to make everything is clear.

All he does is repeat himself over and over again about how he can only pass this on to upper management. He asks if there is anything else he can help me with and I tell him there is.

When I was going over my emails from Nikon, I noticed when they approved the service advisory they gave me a different service order number. So I asked him if he could run this number and see if anything is being done. How he didn't understand "Can you run this other service number to check the progress?" I have no idea. Because he tells me they have me for this other service number and that there's nothing he can do. For the second time, I explain to him what I want done and how I got this second service number. And yet again, the light bulb doesn't click on.

So about 5mins later I'm getting aggravated because I thought this would take 5secs, I cut him off from repeating himself the 17th time (a little exaggeration) and say "Look, all I want is for you to check this service number. Can you not do that?!" LIGHT BULB SUDDENLY HAS FULL POWER!! "Oh yeah! I can do that." WOW! He looks it over and tells me everything I've read online for the status. When he first looked at the service order he thought it was for a different D2h, I tell him its the same one check the serial numbers.

He then studders and asks to put me on hold. A few minutes later he's back and explains everything I already know. Once again, he can't help me with this other service number and he's "expediting" that claim to upper management as well. He does admit that service order that has this "bent pin" repair on it, is a complete mess and I can hear it in his voice that its way too much from him and that he has no idea about the other service order.

During this phone conversation, I told him I have discussed my issue with numerous Nikon owner's who some claim have never heard of this "no partial repair" policy, he had nothing to say about it. Which leads me to believe it doesn't exist. At the end of the our conversation I asked him let upper management know I am VERY unhappy with how I am being treated. I told him I will be contacting the BBB, head of Customer Relations, as well as the head of Nikon to let them all know whats going on here. I explained my frustration and how I feel like I'm being toy'd with and not taken seriously. I told him I'm tired of this bull**** and that I just want my camera to be fixed for what I sent it in for, nothing else since nothing else was wrong with it.

His response "I will pass that on to upper management." No "I'm really sorry about all this" or "I'm sorry you haven't received proper customer service" not even a "My apologizes sir, I will make sure upper management clears everything up so that your experience can turn around". NOT A DAMN THING CLOSE TO THAT WAS SAID!! I'm left in shock and honestly can't believe how bad the customer service is with some of these reps. So far, I've had 1 of 4 reps actually try and want to help me. Everyone else seems to either lack the brain power to do their job, or honestly does not care about the customer and it shows crystal clear.

Summary:
Spent 30mins explaining myself over and over and over and over again to only get no where and will be waiting 1 more day for a response back. If I don't hear anything back

Better update...

Received an email today saying the service advisory will be repaired complimentary and that the "bent pins" will be put on its on service order for me to either approve or refuse. I'll be calling them in a little to get a verbal confirmation that they will be repairing the service advisory regardless if I decide to approve or refuse the "bent pins".

My next order of business will be these "bent pins". As I've said before, the camera had no other problems beside the service advisory. Camera functioned perfectly. If I get my camera back and it turns out the pins are bent, what do you suggest I do? It'll pretty much be my word against theirs. I would think if the pins are bent, it wouldn't be able to read any CF cards and I've used three different cards with it. I was thinking of questioning the service department about how the clean and check up is done. Because I would think opening the CF card door and looking inside would be easy and one of the first things done.

The more I read the more happy I am that I have an Authorized repair ctr a few miles from me. I have only used them for a cleaning once, thankfully.

I am positive anything like this is much easier to deal with in person especially if there are slight language barriers popping up.

Better update...

Received an email today saying the service advisory will be repaired complimentary and that the "bent pins" will be put on its on service order for me to either approve or refuse. I'll be calling them in a little to get a verbal confirmation that they will be repairing the service advisory regardless if I decide to approve or refuse the "bent pins".

My next order of business will be these "bent pins". As I've said before, the camera had no other problems beside the service advisory. Camera functioned perfectly. If I get my camera back and it turns out the pins are bent, what do you suggest I do? It'll pretty much be my word against theirs. I would think if the pins are bent, it wouldn't be able to read any CF cards and I've used three different cards with it. I was thinking of questioning the service department about how the clean and check up is done. Because I would think opening the CF card door and looking inside would be easy and one of the first things done.

You need to contact the California Department of Consumer Affairs. You're a CA resident & the repair facility is in-state, so the entire transaction should be subject to their authority / jurisdiction. Document in writing the interaction between yourself and Nikon, as you have here. Express your justified dissatisfaction with the way this matter has been mis-handled. COPY MR. FUKICHI IN MELVILLE.

The way to deal with this Bovine Scatology is top down, and firmly. Nikon has a terrible customer service record. Although some instances of excellent service have been noted on this site, they seem to me to be the exception rather than the rule.

Nikon (USA and corporate) must understand that A SINGLE INSTANCE of this kind of treatment of a customer is unacceptable. Blatant attempts to gouge a customer and failure to follow their stated policy (regardless of whether you used the 'correct form') cause Nikon to look bad (lose face) and represent unacceptable behavior on the part of a major worldwide corporation. Who do they think they are? Toyota? :mad::mad:

Sorry to hear you're getting the run around.. I think you guys need to start dealing with Nikon Canada as the repairs I've had done through them (2 d50 send ins, 18-135 squeeling as well..) have always been as smooth as glass..

However, what I want you to know - and what everyone else around here who hasn't worked in customer service or in a call center before should know is .. You have such incredibly limited power there.. I worked for Verizon as a tech support for almost 2 years and every time someone said they were going to phone the "president" or contact the "head of Verizon" anyone who worked there would roll there eyes.. The thing is, you can contact the head of Nikon - but he wont care.. He has more important things to do than read a letter from some random consumer and nothing will come of it.. However, if you speak with upper management or someone who actually has some say in how things get handled there - you'll be in better shape.. Demand a supervisor, wait to talk to one, and then talk to the supervisors manager.

The chain of command is pretty standard in centers like this.. You have "teams" here and there - the main guys you talk to are just random guys who needed a job, and don't know all that much ... Most of the time. They read off screens that make them sound kinda like they know what they're talking about - fill out notes to document the call - that's about it.. To kinda scare/worry one, ask for their identification number - You don't need their name, and a lot of the time they wont give you their full name (nor do they ever have to) - an ID number is enough and they DO have to give you that..

After the front line guys you'll have a team of "supervisors" - that are really just slightly better talking people with more experience, and sometimes they know more.. Their job is to deal with people being *******s to them for their entire shift, and they tend to get stuff done.. What you'll have with a supervisor is once they get the "ticket" they have to follow it till it's resolved.. Which means they send the ticket over to another team..

The "resolution" team.. These guys call around to everyone they have to - they would call down to the repair center and say I need you to fix *ticket number* by putting a new sensor in place, do not replace the CF pins, and I need that done first priority.. Repair says okay, gets approval to order the part or approval to fix whatever - and does it.. The resolution team (usually one person will handle the same case) will call you back a day later, or at the end of the day when they've made some headway and say "hey there..sir.. I'm really sorry about all this and I hope you'll remain a Nikon customer as we ever so much appreciate your continued business.. I've taken the case on myself - here is my ID number for your records and an extension number to contact me if you need anything else - I'll contact you again when the repairs are complete and let you know that we're sending the camera back to you.. Sorry for the inconvenience.."

From there you'll get occasional calls only when there is something being done.. And it'll get done.. Calling every 30 seconds wont do anything at this point aside from **** everyone involved off because it's actually being handled at this point and they can't really give you a minute by minute update, nor let you talk to the guy who's replacing the damaged part or anything.. After a few days you'll get a final call saying it's getting sent to you, heres a tracking number to your email, have a good day and I'm sorry.

What you've gotten yourself stuck into is the first to second stage, you haven't actually spoken with a supervisor and all you're doing is sending in ticket after ticket for someone to review - which they do, eventually, and getting no where.. Talking to the first level guys is a waste of time at this point and the next time you call demand a supervisor immediately and tell them this is your 5th time calling and you really need to speak to someone who can do more than the first string.. Try to stay calm and cool - don't get too upset.. These are guys reading screens and they don't know right away whats happening.. Biting someones head off will get you put on hold for 10-15 minutes so they can go grab a Kit Kat from the vending machine, ignore you for a bit for being a ****, and then they'll send you to a supervisor - who might not answer cus they didn't bother getting approval.. Because you sucked to talk to..

The way this is getting handled so far is pretty lame, but it's because you get things sent to "upper management" which doesn't generally mean anything - or they have incorrect notes and nothing can be done - or it's just a mess of a situation .. Tell them you need a supervisor asap and it'll get the ball rolling quicker.

+1
Kevin,

Great write up on the state of customer relations in this day and age! Your recommendations are spot on!

I have printed your post and have it pinned to the wall next to my phone in the office! Thank you!

I agree. A great inside view of how the support process is structured and how to work the system.

However, I believe the average consumer shouldn't have to know how to operate in the system. It's broken if an ordinary end user experiences what the OP has, and the broken promises (I'll note in your file what's happened, etc.") and lack of follow-through are unacceptable practices.

Any organization that encourages, tacitly or otherwise, or even allows such behavior has a problem, and Nikon qualifies. I've seen multiple reports, here and elsewhere, of such incidents. I perceive Nikon as engineering-driven, rather than customer-focused. They would deny this, but as an organization, their customer service practices and product development come across as regarding the end user primarily as an inconvenience, who must be tolerated as he / she generate the revenue which makes possible the exploration of interesting concepts.

Of course, every organization contains some members who 'get it.' And inherent in developing interesting products, every once in awhile, you come up with a marketplace winner (D90, D700, 70-200 VRI & II, insert your example here). But too often, Nikon has shot both themselves and customers in the foot with poor product availability, and inferior products. How long has the Coolpix line been inferior to Canon's P&S's? How long has it been since Nikon hit one out of the park in Coolpixes? What will the successors to the D90, D3-series and D700 be, and how will they be positioned in the consumer eye?

I realize this is harsh. As a customer (not even a stockholder) I want to see Nikon succeed and prosper, consistently leading the market in multiple product lines, so as to drive all mfr's to get better faster, thereby making better tools available to all photographers.

Nikon has produced some great products, digital and conventional. But my vision isn't what they've accomplished, but how much better they could be. A good beginning would be to stop talking about "Meeting needs. Exceeding expectations," and start doing so.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom