Am I the only one disgusted with Nikon ...

... for not fully supporting AF-D lenses on the Z mount?

I have never quite liked AF-S lenses as they invariably result in increased bulk. I understand that some like them but they just don't work for me.

With Nikon deciding to turn AF-D lenses into manual focus only on the Z Mount, I feel I might as well consider other mounts when the time comes to upgrade my cameras.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
I think "disgusted" is a bit of a strong word. I would have liked for them to have put out an adapter that would have at a minimum had a flip up/down aperture follow ring for AI/AIS lenses to record the aperture used on the lens. Not a deal breaker for me by any means though.

I'm sure if the demand is high enough, a third party adapter maker will come up with one that does that. I'd buy it today if it was around $100 or less.

There is so much more to the Nikon Z system and progress needs to be made at some time in order to progress to bigger and better things. It seems you are on the verge of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Nikon could have pulled a Canon and just said, no f-mount support, you are SOOL and buy all new z-mount lenses....but they didn't.

I think the healthier perspective is to look at the benefits you get from the system and not the 100% compatibility or lack there of in 20+ year old, discontinued lenses.

Having used some horrible, loud, slow focusing AF lenses, (remember the 70-300 AF?) I welcomed af-s with open arms. So I'm not bothered they didn't make the adapter compatible.

Out of curiosity, do af-d lenses work at all in manual focus mode on the adapter?

Real Name
Ian
AF-D lenses are 20-25+ years old. How many manufacturers of ANY product do you know that when releasing their newest orgazmatron, still support products that are TWO DECADES OLD? I certainly can't think of any. I know I can't go down to my local Honda dealership and order any part I need for a 20 year old Civic (this is where 3rd party support comes in to play). I can't call up Kitchen-Aid and order parts for a 20 year old oven for my kitchen. Why should Nikon have to cater to individuals who are using lenses that were designed and sold in the mid 90's?

If you want to be "disgusted" with Nikon, that's fine. But be disgusted that they didn't implement in-lens focus motors earlier like Canon had done, but instead held on to old screw-drive technology for so long.

Real Name
Andrew
Having used some horrible, loud, slow focusing AF lenses, (remember the 70-300 AF?) I welcomed af-s with open arms. So I'm not bothered they didn't make the adapter compatible.

Out of curiosity, do af-d lenses work at all in manual focus mode on the adapter?
They work in every way as they did on a DSLR minus AF. They meter fine and you set the aperture ring to max and control the aperture setting from the command dial of the camera.

Manual focus works as it should and you get the benefit of focus peaking and punch in zoom to boot.

a number of our lab systems use windows XP, which you can no longer get or activate if you try to put your licensed copy on a different motherboard. I am soo disgusted with Microsoft for not supporting old stuff.

As for Nikon, if I get a Z how can I use my old non AI lenses?

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" mom has her tongue firmly planted in her cheek..." - Georgie Beagle

I am soo disgusted with Microsoft!
Lol ... Nice One Mama Beagle!

Point though is that by not providing an adapter that could work out the AF-D lenses, it means that these would work the same as one other competing offerings.
Not a big deal I suppose, but it just removes me from being a "captive" potential buyer.

Real Name
Andrew
a number of our lab systems use windows XP, which you can no longer get or activate if you try to put your licensed copy on a different motherboard. I am soo disgusted with Microsoft for not supporting old stuff.

Cheers,

the FTZ adapter works with them.

Real Name
Andrew
Lol ... Nice One Mama Beagle!

Point though is that by not providing an adapter that could work out the AF-D lenses, it means that these would work the same as one other competing offerings.
Not a big deal I suppose, but it just removes me from being a "captive" potential buyer.
And you'd be buying all new lenses either way, based on your stance...so do what you feel is best.

I think Nikon has gone out of their way to keep things as compatible as possible. Years ago they updated Ai lenses to Ai-S for a bargain. Those lenses still work.

I moved to Nikon from Minolta because Nikon seemed to care about owners and Minolta didn't.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
You have to "AI" your lenses, means filing off a part of the back mount, just google it in Youtube to see it done. here is one video.

There are also services that can do it for you. BTW, there are a few old lenses that will/could damage your camera, because the protrude so far back, espcially super fish eyes, but there are others as well. Care advised

As for Windows XP and support , a subject that I'm familiar with, although I sympathize, it is just plain not possible, the engineers and organizational structure are gone, and it is for sure not a good financial proposition for Microsoft. XP has had a unique number of security problems that might have never been truly fixed for a given situation, so there is another reason to get off it.

Cheers,

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
One of the real problems with the old AF-D lenses is less focusing accuracy, no stepping motors like the AF-S and P designs. Would you really be happy with the results I wonder if the adapter had AF-D support?

Guess I am alone indeed. I understand this but it remains the fact that this means Sony and Fuji units start to look attractive propositions for me.

Guess I am alone indeed. I understand this but it remains the fact that this means Sony and Fuji units start to look attractive propositions for me.
Both are great products.

Sony will need, imo to change their mount soon to keep up. So new lenses will be needed.

Fuji is becoming a great contender but you would need all new lenses to get the Fuji quality iq.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom