Am I the only one disgusted with Nikon ...

It makes no sense to offer an adapter for a state of the art Z body to be able to auto focus the archaic screw drive focus lenses. That focus system was an embarrassment in many ways with some lenses being so noisy when focusing people actually turned their heads to look at me at weddings.

It makes no sense to offer an adapter for a state of the art Z body to be able to auto focus the archaic screw drive focus lenses.
Not sure why anyone would be against something they simply can decide not to buy. They can offer it at a premium alongside the current offering for those of us that would like it.

Not sure why anyone would be against something they simply can decide not to buy. They can offer it at a premium alongside the current offering for those of us that would like it.
I would love to be able to use AFD lenses on my Z7 with full AF functionality as there is some great glass appearing at competitive prices on the secondhand marketplace. However Nikon have said that if you want to use AFD lenses on your Z camera you can but it will be MF only, Nikon have also said that MF lenses will work but you won't get aperture readings in the viewfinder or a metering bar but the lens will work with the histogram and stop-down metering.

Clearly Nikon wanted to move forward, they didn't want to be held back by having the Z cameras kitted out to cater for every lens they had ever made, so AFS/G lenses work fine via the FTZ and everything else works but with restrictions, and with some bonuses; e.g. zooming in to check focus in the EVF, an EVF with an exposure histogram, IBIS to name a few.

Whilst I might like an adapter (or adapters) to make full use of older lenses on my Z7 I am realistic enough to accept that Nikon have gone a long way to keep loyal customers happy, that I can use Ai, Ais, AFD, AFS/G and Z lenses on one camera body is pretty impressive IMHO, all the lenses I own can be used to take properly focused and exposed images on my Z7 and that is great.

Sure, in the months ahead I am going to have to splash the cash for AFS/G or Z mount lenses if I want to get the full benefit of the Z camera system but I also have the option of having some fun by attaching lenses from other manufacturers to my camera using 3rd party adapters, there's lots of great glass out there and with mirrorless cameras it is all very usable.

So for me Nikon have introduced a very good new camera system, they have allowed older lenses to be used on the camera but they are also saying that to get the full benefit of the mount as photographers we need to move forward and adopt the newest technology on this system.

If it is important to you that the AFD lenses you own retain AF on a camera that you use, then stick with a top spec DSLR, don't buy a Z camera.

Therefore and to answer your question, yes you may possibly be the only one disgusted with Nikon.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Understood with respect to the camera bodies but isn't the function of the adapter on offer to facilitate an older technology?
I never thought of an adapter that way. I thought it was to enable you to attach a current model lens to a current model camera. I always thought of older lenses attached to older bodies.

My final thoughts: When Canon went to AF, they abandoned completely their MF mount (FD lenses). I am sure there were plenty of angry people, but Canon was forward thinking and knew they needed a larger mount to accommodate newer and better lenses.

Nikon, on the other hand, did an amazing job of adapting their MF mount to new AF lenses. It has worked really well. The Z bodies are doing what Canon did 20+ years ago with their EF mount. BUT... Nikon again, is trying their darndest to help us out and created the FTZ adapter.

Kudos to Nikon for doing all they can to not orphan their tried and true users and fans. Adapting to hundreds of lenses from the past 3-4 decades, with varying compatibility, is still a LOT more than Canon did for it's owners.

I thought it was to enable you to attach a current model lens to a current model camera.
I beg to differ. The very fact an adapter is needed indicates that the lens is not current.
Basically, all F Mount lenses became "older technologies" once the Z Mount was released.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I beg to differ. The very fact an adapter is needed indicates that the lens is not current.
Basically, all F Mount lenses became "older technologies" once the Z Mount was released.
A lens is separate from the camera body. To me, the "adapter" is nothing more than a way to attach a lens to a camera. Thus it provide a "male to female" connection function.

A lens is separate from the camera body. To me, the "adapter" is nothing more than a way to attach a lens to a camera. Thus it provide a "male to female" connection function.
It can act in such a manner indeed but in the case of the Z and F Mounts, it is simply to allow lenses designed for yesterday's mount to work on today's mount.

The only Nikon adapter I have is the FT1.
It was designed to allow use of F mount lenses onto Nikon 1 cameras.
Not strictly speaking old lenses to new mount.
I had not thought of it that way but Butlerkid's view point resonates with me.

The only Nikon adapter I have is the FT1.
It was designed to allow use of F mount lenses onto Nikon 1 cameras.
Not strictly speaking old lenses to new mount.
I had not thought of it that way but Butlerkid's view point resonates with me.
Definitely in that context, yes. My context was regarding the F and Z mounts when I gave the response that triggered this sub text.

Err, not sure that you are correct, an adapter is simply a device that allows connection of something with one type of fitting to something that has a different type of fitting.

It can act in such a manner indeed but in the case of the Z and F Mounts, it is simply to allow lenses designed for yesterday's mount to work on today's mount.
No, an adapter is simply a device to allow two 'somethings' with different fittings to be coupled together. In the case of the FTZ it allows the connection of a male lens mounts to a female camera mount, so if you are the owner of 40 year old glass as I am, this old glass can be used on the latest range of cameras from Nikon, a fact that is worth celebrating not moaning and bitching about.

Real Name
Andy
Having followed this thread with an odd combination of interest and reluctance (a bit like slowing down to take a closer look at a car accident), I grow weary, and offer everyone this for consideration:

In that first post below the self-admitted clickbait title...
With Nikon deciding to turn AF-D lenses into manual focus only on the Z Mount, I feel I might as well consider other mounts when the time comes to upgrade my cameras.
...which, based on the OP's preference for non-AF-S lenses due to their smaller size sounds sensible and a course of action I recommend to him.

In reply #69 to this thread, I stated at length, and with a fair amount of consideration that I find it unlikely Nikon will ever offer an adapter that permits a Z body to focus a lens without its own AF motor.

Before and after that, various others have articulated similar points quite well. I now take leave of this discussion with the following quotes from pop culture:

"To boldly go where no man has gone before" - Capt. James T. Kirk
"And that's the way it is" - Walter Cronkite
"Let's be careful out there." - Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"B-deel-b-deel-b-deel, That's all folks!" - Porky Pig

See you elsewhere in the Cafe. Over and Out.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom