Am I the only one disgusted with Nikon ...

Actually, screw drive lens technology might be worth reexamining in a hypothetical camera. It has several advantages by placing the lens motor in the camera, allowing for lenses to be built smaller and be more durable. Paired with 2019 mirrorless OSPDAF and you basically eliminate the focus accuracy issues inherent to mirror based PDAF systems in SLRs. The Techart Pro adapter actually works on a similar concept, but instead of using a screw drive motor, it moves the entire lens forward and backwards to attain focus lock.

What might be cool is inventing a universal mirrorless camera that uses mirrorless tech, but employs something similar to the Techart, but with a stronger and more durable motor drive system. Allowing you to use bigger and longer focal lengths.

Last edited:
The OP's preference for non-AF-S lenses due to their smaller size sounds sensible and a course of action I recommend to him.
Thanks for actually reading what I had to say.

In reply #69 to this thread, I stated at length, and with a fair amount of consideration that I find it unlikely Nikon will ever offer an adapter that permits a Z body to focus a lens without its own AF motor.

Before and after that, various others have articulated similar points quite well.
Indeed. You will note that on multiple occasions, I have concurred with this assessment.

All I have said in addition is that nevertheless, I would still like to have such an option even if Nikon were to offer it at a premium as the impact on me of not having such is simply that the offerings from other providers, which I would otherwise not seriously consider, would now come into consideration as these lenses would work on them to a similar level as on the Z Mount.

This wish and assessment is apparently unreasonable and is so objectionable as to be worthy of ridicule and insult.

Nevermind. Probably best to put this to bed.

Last edited:
Actually, screw drive lens technology might be worth reexamining in a hypothetical camera. It has several advantages by placing the lens motor in the camera, allowing for lenses to be built smaller and be more durable. Paired with 2019 mirrorless OSPDAF and you basically eliminate the focus accuracy issues inherent to mirror based PDAF systems in SLRs. The Techart Pro adapter actually works on a similar concept, but instead of using a screw drive motor, it moves the entire lens forward and backwards to attain focus lock.

What might be cool is inventing a universal mirrorless camera that uses mirrorless tech, but employs something similar to the Techart, but with a stronger and more durable motor drive system. Allowing you to use bigger and longer focal lengths.
Thanks for this, I checked it out and it is amazing.
I could use my manual Nikon e series lenses on a small A6300, as autofocus.
Brilliant tech, almost too good to be true.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Please keep this discussion civil. You may disagree with the OP, but stop with the uncivil comments aimed AT THE PERSON.

If I see the word "bitching" one more time, or other such comments that express derogatory comments or "amusement" directed at the OP for his opinion, the thread will be locked.

There was a lot of really good discussion in this thread, and some genuinely positive and healthy disagreement, but one or two comments that are not in keeping with this forum's standard for civility.

Real Name
Ian
Just so that everyone is on the same page, with the OP admitting to the thread title being click-bait, are the moderators of this forum stating that click-bait is not in violation of rule #4 of the site-wide rules?

I've screen captured the rules and posted them below, highlighting the pertinent item.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Bill
I think the OP is totally entitled to have his opinion and has the choice whether to continue with Nikon or not. In my opinion it's throwing the baby out with the bath water but I don't own any D lenses so I don't have a dog in the fight. Personally I feel as though "disgusted" is a strong word, disappointed would be my word of choice but it's not my thread.

Now excuse me why I try to get this VHS tape to fit into my DVD player.

Last edited:
with the OP admitting to the thread title being click-bait, are the moderators of this forum stating that click-bait is not in violation of rule #4 of the site-wide rules?
I would be very disappointed and surprised to learn that moderators perceive click bait as being in violation of the site's rules. Every thread title is click bait in the sense that it attracts people to view the thread. That has nothing to do whatsoever with the site rule that forbids inflammatory posts and posts that are written to provide disruption.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Just so that everyone is on the same page, with the OP admitting to the thread title being click-bait, are the moderators of this forum stating that click-bait is not in violation of rule #4 of the site-wide rules?

I've screen captured the rules and posted them below, highlighting the pertinent item.

View attachment 1635994
And since we did not do anything or take action and pointing out our inaction, does this mean you are in violation of rule number 15? Now seriously, can we get back on topic please and drop the word discussions. It is just fatuous to keep dwelling on the choice of words.

Real Name
Ian
And since we did not do anything or take action and pointing out our inaction, does this mean you are in violation of rule number 15? Now seriously, can we get back on topic please and drop the word discussions. It is just fatuous to keep dwelling on the choice of words.
What else is there to discuss about the topic at hand?

The OP created a thread with a click-bait title (his words, not mine), and stated his opinion. Others weighed in on that subject, with some back and forth occurring, with the OP a continuing to state the same point over and over again (dissatisfaction that a camera built and sold in 2018 doesn’t have full functionality with lenses built and sold more than 20 years ago).

Nikon is interested in selling lenses for their new mount, not continually supporting lenses with old and outdated coatings, optical formulas, and focusing technology from the last century.

What more is there to discuss, or has this thread simply run it’s course?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
What else is there to discuss about the topic at hand?

The OP created a thread with a click-bait title (his words, not mine), and stated his opinion. Others weighed in on that subject, with some back and forth occurring, with the OP a continuing to state the same point over and over again (dissatisfaction that a camera built and sold in 2018 doesn’t have full functionality with lenses built and sold more than 20 years ago).

Nikon is interested in selling lenses for their new mount, not continually supporting lenses with old and outdated coatings, optical formulas, and focusing technology from the last century.

What more is there to discuss, or has this thread simply run it’s course?
Yes. Go shoot - er photograph - something! :D

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn

View attachment 1635994
The post is not clickbait despite what the OP said, which I believe was also tongue in cheek. The moderating team discusses these things and we've already posted that this thread needs to get back on course and the uncivil behavior must stop. That's the end of it. If you have any issues you are free to contact any of the moderators or site admin via PM.

I am really impressed by the TechnoArt Pro adaptor.
That seems to be a game changer as I was looking at getting a Sony A6300.
I could, at a cost (TechnoArt Leica to Sony + F Mount to Leica accessory), mount the F lenses which would become AF (not in all cases for telephoto).
It is not perfect and not cheap but so much better than the manual adaptor I use on my A5000 for my F mount lenses.
Then again, I may not be thinking straight.
Is anyone here using it?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom