Am I the only one that has their camera equipment insured???

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
If something happens to your equipment, I have a feeling your hubby will rethink his position. As for me, I have a separate rider on my homeowners policy. $59 a year for almost $6000 worth of gear at full replacement value with no deductible - best decision I ever made (outside of joining the Cafe, of course...!:biggrin:)

sambru

In Memoriam 1957-2014
Well I was trying to convince my husband of my decision to insure my equipment, anything could happen and I have a lot of money invested. We are not seeing eye to eye on this. The funny thing about the whole deal, is I have paid for all my equipment and I pay for the insurance. So I'm going to just have to stay being stupid in his eyes, because I'm not changing my mind. So how do you like those apples??:wink:

Good for you. You are not stupid, you have a lot of money invested in your equipment,so why not insure it? Like you said anything can happen

Well ah...I called my insurance company just a week after I took the plunge in to the DSLR world, and I am covered up to $2500 full replacement cost on my renters insurance, with a $500 deductible. Look below, nice stuff, but not really high priced stuff like a lot of you folks have. I may be almost at the point where I will need to schedule my equipment though.

I don't think there is anything wrong with insuring something that is highly pilferable and subject to damages or destruction. I have my firearms scheduled, and they spend their time locked in a very large, very heavy safe. In the current financial state of the world, you need to do everything you can to protect what you have. I watched surveillance video yesterday of a guy removing a $1500 Plasma Television from a waiting room at the hospital I work at. You have to protect what you have, cause someone else wants it, and their not afraid to take it. I guess they feel they have a right to it or something, I don't know.

Absolutely

Even small amounts of digital equipment can add up fast. Since I no longer do commercial/professional work, I have mine on a Personal Articles Floater. The cost is considerable but replacement expense would be a lot more expensive.

I've had it for two years and had to use it for the 1st time recently. Gave them the estimate for repairs they gave me the money no questions asked.

I'm in Australia... home owners insurance won't cover my gear here because I use it in a business. I had to get separate cover.

It cost me $1200 per year, but that gives me full replacement value on all my camera gear plus my laptop, $5million public liability, $5million products liability and $50k for any goods that might be in my custody/care as part of an assignment. Coverage is worldwide (except US/Can ... only because no Australian insurer will cover there :mad:)

I think it's well worth the investment. If you're doing any sort of business with your camera gear, then you really need to check out whether your home owners insurance will cover in the event of a claim. Don't just assume or take it on face value, ... it could be a nasty surprise you don't want if something does go wrong.

No you are not the only one...

No you are not the only one but if ever you start doing paid jobs ... you'll need a whole other insurance plan, your home owner's policy won't cover you if you make a job of photography, be it full time or part time.

For those suggesting that their homeowners already cover their gear, I would call and see how much gear they will cover, and under what circumstances. I think that will cover theft from your home or car, but will not cover you if you drop your bag in the river by mistake. I am sure all vary, but I would make sure I know where I stood.

I opted for the rider that will cover my stupidity.

No you are not the only one but if ever you start doing paid jobs ... you'll need a whole other insurance plan, your home owner's policy won't cover you if you make a job of photography, be it full time or part time.

My insurance company mentioned this very thing to me when I got my policy.

I got mine after one of our members had all his gear stolen from the back seat of his car. He was another Florida member if memory serves me correct. Anyway I always thought I’d use the policy when someone broke into my trunk or mugged me for my gear. I never thought I’d get to use if for repairs, but that’s exactly what I did after my 28-70 was damaged after being dropped. I still have to pay for a new lens hood and MC filter but the $379 in repairs were completely covered.

Home owners rider for photo equipment can be a problem if you end up with a claim and then have your HO insurance cancelled because of the claim.

It can and does happen... maybe not for one claim and maybe not for all companies, but you might want to check with your agent.

I cancelled by HO rider for photo gear for that reason. Now I need to replace it with some other kind of insurance ~ any recommendations?

Does anyone have renter's insurance? And can I get my photo equipment covered under that? Right now, I'm looking at different companies, so if there are some that will do this, I'll look into those.

Carole

I do not have mine under home owners insurance. My insurer has a valuable personal property line that I use to insure my gear. It is a great investment as well.

God Bless,
David

I have a Separate policy, there have been stories, of problems with the insurance companies, after making claims on your home insurance. For that reason I decided to get a separate policy with full replacement value good in any country. I did lose a SB 800, and collected on that.

Home owners rider for photo equipment can be a problem if you end up with a claim and then have your HO insurance cancelled because of the claim.

It can and does happen... maybe not for one claim and maybe not for all companies, but you might want to check with your agent.

I cancelled by HO rider for photo gear for that reason. Now I need to replace it with some other kind of insurance ~ any recommendations?

Let me know what you find out, Uncle Pug. Thus far I can't find a renter's insurance that would let me cover my photo equipment.

Carole

I had to put it specifically (with receipts & serial numbers) on a personal articles rider, just like my wife's jewels,.

For those suggesting that their homeowners already cover their gear, I would call and see how much gear they will cover, and under what circumstances. I think that will cover theft from your home or car, but will not cover you if you drop your bag in the river by mistake. I am sure all vary, but I would make sure I know where I stood.

I opted for the rider that will cover my stupidity.

Let me know what you find out, Uncle Pug. Thus far I can't find a renter's insurance that would let me cover my photo equipment.

Carole

I have a renters policy through State Farm, and when I asked they told me I was covered up to $2500 (I have a $500 deductible) for theft, fire and stupidity (my word, not their's). She told me I would have to schedule my equipment if I went over the $2500, and I am probably over it by now.

Latest threads

Top Bottom