Am I The Only One That Still Has Some Film-Like Habits?

Okay so here's some background information:
- I'm 49yrs and have spent 24yrs in the USAF
- Started out on dad's old Mamiya Sekor

So here's what I find myself doing now with my digital gear:
- I don't shoot hundreds of shots; my 8GB SD cards are way more than enough
- It takes me forever to unload an SD card and process pictures (2 of my camera's still have cards from shots that I took about 30 days ago)
- I print TONS of 4x6 prints of the kids & family.

Should I be doing more to enhance my digital experiences :confused:

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn

- It takes me forever to unload an SD card and process pictures (2 of my camera's still have cards from shots that I took about 30 days ago)

Sounds fairly familiar to me, actually. Although I don't still print tons of pictures, I print a decent amount. The other two, I'm with you on.

My film camera is sitting with a roll of film in it right now. My D3s has about 50 pics on the card, just sitting there, and the EX-1 has about two dozen just sitting in it!

Oh, and former Army here (but an Army flyboy!).
:biggrin:

I only spent 12 years in the NAVY and reserves, so no pension, but I did complete Submarine Periscope Photography School in Hawaii. Used Topcon in the NAVY and Olympus OM 1/2 bodies for personal use.

Well, I have two 16-Gb cards in my D3 and I've never filled either one, but I've shot a lot more than 4Gb a few times. The high number of image days being paid gigs. I shoot some 90-160 images at lunch every few days and try to always load (then copy to backup) on the PC HDs as soon as possible.

When I was shooting film professionally as a portrait photog and then as a manager, I would often repeat the old joke that goes:
A guy in a car with out of state plates stops at a street corner in NYC and sticks his head out of the car. He shouts out to the pedestrians on the sidewalk, "Does anyone know how to get to Carnegie Hall?" A pedestrian shouts back, "Practice man, practice."

Even in the days of film when it cost something for every shutter click, it paid to practice. Now with digital, the cost per shutter click is practically nothing. Camera gear depreciates in value faster than it wears out, even with pro use. If you don't shoot until the shutter wears out, you are missing something in my view. I always liked macro photography, but never got into it because it cost so much to learn with film and it wasn't an area where I could make a profit. With digital, it only cost some time and the price of a good used macro lens. Going from"Here's an interesting bee that you can barely see..." to "Notice the hair on the bee's tongue" ... just took practice.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Carl
I was displeased when my new camera couldn't use my first one's 1 and 2GB cards. The only time I came close to filling them (at 6MP) was during a trip to Hawaii. Thank goodness for Costco!

I figure 2-300 images of a really significant event (car race or airshow) is plenty! Of course my buddy, the Canon shooter ,does about 3-4,000 per day, and feels underprivileged.
For my birthday, I will attend the Ft. Bridger Mountain Man Rendezvous. We shall see how that goes. :wink:

We spent a few days at the Triple D Game Farm in Kalispell MT last month photographing baby animals. My wife, who is not the photographer in the family, was using the D7100 with the 80-400. When we downloaded her images at the end of the first day, we had photographed 4 groups of animals, her count was ......

We were photographing from a bit after 7AM to about 10:30AM.

Final count, she saved under 100 per animal, they are great memories.

My film days began in the mid-1960's with a Boy Scout Merit badge. As others have noted, shutter clicks were costly. I think it depends a lot on what you shoot. I shoot mostly moving things, animals, birds, sports, and find that digital affords me far more latitude in catching the moment than I had with film. What has, however, stayed with me is the notion of timing, "spray and pray" is certainly no guarantee of catching a decisive moment.

Oh, yeah, I found it incredibly funny that my wife was well over double my shot count on this trip. And to think she used to ask me "Why do you ever bother to take more than one or two shots of something?" .... :wink:

If for film-habits you mean not using the camera like a machine gun, I'm here as well.
I've took most of my D600 shots in very little shootings, 20/30 at most each time, so it was for my D700 first and D200 even before. I think I took about 950 pics for a wedding three years ago (then screened down to a much more reasonable number) and about 1100 right a few months ago when I went to Medjugorje - probably the only time that I came close to fill the huge SD card ( 64 GB, I only shoot raw ) I have on my D600. Although a further selection can still be done, I came up selecting about 35/40 pics from the whole trip. In case I'll ever go to Central Asia as I hope next year for my 40th b'day, such huge card will come handy again. Til that moment, I'm happy to be still in the film-like group.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another thing that I'm guilty of is forgetting to shoot video. :redface: I used to shoot video with a dedicated video camera so I pretty much forget that my digital bodies have the capability too! :redface:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom