Am i the only one

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by critterracing, Sep 13, 2008.

1. am i the only one who feels not worthy of posting pictures. man all the truly outrageous photos that are posted here on a daily basis makes me feel like i shouldn't be posting mine yet.

i dont know maybe its just me. :confused: 

2. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Aldo,
    Although there are excellent photographers here, they too started somewhere. That's how you learn. Throw a few of your best up here. I'm sure everyone else feels the same.

3. DaveT-NJ

DaveT-NJ

Mar 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    You’re not alone!

I am amazed by some of the pictures posted on this site.

I am still learning how to use my new D300 and haven’t shot anything good enough to post yet, but I am working on it!

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Heck I have been posting stuff here for a couple of years now, and my stuff still sucks....But not as much as it did when I first started. I have learned so much here and everyone is willing to help. Thats what make this place so great!!

Dan

5. you have to start posting them.....
    trust me EVERY ONE of us learns something new EVERY day
    we can't wait to see your images... i promise you

6. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Post them, that is how you learn...and you are not the only one. I have been shooting birds all year and the people around here are like "man those are excellent you ought to do a book or something!" They don't see the ones that are on here.

ALSO you would be surprised what a picture looks like before PS. Bird eyes that are just so so, can be popped and sharpened to improve the overall image. Now some are straight out of the camera, but a great deal are improved...that is the nature of digital.

So dive in and get wet! And have fun. Don't worry most of us are just amateurs just like you...

See you out there. :biggrin:

7. No you aren't the only one... I don't post as often as I probably should or want to because i get down on my self for the same reasons. Another thing to remember though is that we are are own worst critic... meaning we are always harder on our own stuff than we should be at times. (It seems to be a trait of an artist)

8. Welcome to the wonderful world of inferiority complexes! I too have not posted pics yet. I will set up a website through my ISP (we pay for it in the package - just don't use it) so I can eventually post real photos and take my lumps. People here seem very kind doing critiques.
    Many decades ago as a student I played one of the best chess players every day - we were roomies. I got clobbered for a few months; by the end of the year I could (very) occasionally beat him.
    I and nervously looking forward to these critiques - as I get better then I can reward my increased skill with some fast glass.

9. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I'm in the same boat guys, you're not alone.

Part of my fear comes from my lack of 'newer' gear, such as a newer camera or some fast glass. I am slowly breaking out of this though after seeing what someone did with a cellphone camera, lol. My pp skills need serious work also.

10. I certainly agree with Greg, and would add that we are our own worst critics, so please post some pic.

11. If I can post the rest of you can. Trust me.

I posted a photo recently and someone made a suggestion and without that suggestion I wouldn't have seen how to shoot that particular action and get better results. As a result I am looking forward to finding a shooting situation like that again.

There are sites that there is no way I would post but everyone here is very kind and helpful.

Marlene

12. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Aldo -

In my files on my PC, I have over 5,000 photos that I've taken within the past six months. Would you like to know how many have made it here onto the Cafe?

One.

Why? Intimidation, plain and simple. Everytime I open this website and look at the photos posted, I break out in a sweat because I know mine are nowhere near as stellar. I'm also afraid that when I post a photo, I'll get zero responses (whether good or bad) and that further validates my fear that my shots are no good.

So, you are definitely not alone. That being said, however, I believe the only way to improve and learn is to post, so at some point, just close your eyes and put up a photo - as others have stated, we do tend to be our own worst critics and I'm sure you'll be surprised at how good yours really are once they're up online.

Take the plunge - and I promise, I'll take my own advice! :biggrin:

13. As others have said, this is a great place to learn and to find inspiration. I have learnt a lot in the last year and once you get started there are loads of challenges and other ways to improve your shooting. Bring 'em on!!

14. The forum is not for showing good pictures only - it is especially for showing bad pictures and getting advice on how to improve them . Some of us are just less shy about posting - the sooner you post your pictures , the sooner you'll get advice on taking pictures you will be proud of - let's see them !

15. I started out here a year or so back with a D70 (which i stilll have) and a kit lens, talk about basic gear!:tongue: I found that by posting some pics here and asking lots of questions that others were able to help me improve greatly.
    If you want to really improve in photography I would suggest taking a course at a local college or simmilar. I did a 12 week course on basic digital photography and learned more in 12 weeks than I would have on my own in years. I start a course on portrates and lighting in a few weeks, that is going to be awesome.

16. There is no better place to learn than the Cafe. :smile: There are experts here in all forms of photography.

Several points which bear re-iterating:

a) MUCH of what you see posted has retouching done to it. This means the photos have been sharpened (all digital cameras have an anti-aliasing filter on them and this causes the photos to need sharpening, either in camera or in PP), many have had colors improved via Levels, Curves, or LAB sharpening. Portraits often have 'skin work' done, blemishes removed and selective sharpening or "popping" of the eyes.

Check out the Tutiki section (icon on upper right corner of screen), you'll find both the eye pop tutorial and a skin fix tutorial.

b) Be willing to ask for, and accept, critique. There is an icon that you can apply to your thread (yellow box with red/black checkmark) which means "please critique this thread." What you'll find is that people may be hesitant with serious critique at first until they get a read on how you respond to it. As in all parts of life, there are those who ask for critique but then get all defensive about it......so until people get a read on you, you may not receive very strong critiques.

c) Whatever type of photography interests you, check out that forum and ask lots of questions. People are VERY willing to help. :smile: I have found a great increase in both my photography and my PP skills by reading through threads in the areas that interest me. If I'm curious about how something is done, I ask....either in the thread or in PM.

d) Strongly consider the book "Understanding Exposure." It's loaded with pictures to demonstrate points and goes through the very basics of photography. Once you have a solid grasp on ISO, shutter speed and aperture, you become the master of your own works and can control the creative elements (such as DOF) as you wish. :smile:

We all started somewhere and this is a great environment to grow in. When people see someone willing to learn and grow, they are very willing to put in time and effort to assist.

17. GeorgeV

GeorgeV

Aug 7, 2008
    Niles
    I don't post pictures because I don't want my pictures stolen.

18. Posting photos and asking for advice/critiques is what makes each one of us better no matter which skill level a person is at. This forum is one of the best in the world for this purpose.

Let's see 'em.

19. RvUsa

RvUsa

Feb 15, 2008
    Darlington, Pa
    You are not in that boat alone, in fact, yesterday, I found the boats lounge, dinning room and tennis courts. There are a lot of us on it with you.... :biggrin:

20. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    I've participated in both the Canon and Nikon forums for a long time and when I first started out, I was intimidated as well. You will soon come to learn, however, that there are people here at all different stages of the learning process. I definitely agree that post-processing is major. Not only can you sharpen, as mentioned above, but cropping is also a big thing. That is my major downfall. I want to work on getting cropping right more often in-camera than after the fact. So even if a picture looks just right, it doesn't mean it was easy to get it that way. This is not to say there aren't some incredible photographers here. Just that I know that the digital era has brought with it the need to learn to develop your own photos rather than having someone else do it for you. This is a love/hate relationship for me! If you're not comfortable posting now, don't. But hang around and learn from others who do. The forums are incredibly helpful and it's great to interact with others who share a common interest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.