Am I wrong for not wanting the technology?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zachs, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Why is it that I can't be satisfied with the new technology. I don't like my D2H, I don't really like my D200. You'll never see me out shooting for fun with either. I LOVE my D1H. It is such a film camera to me. I wish it didn't even have a screen honestly. I would love to get a camera just like the D2H w/o all the fancy crap on the back. I'll keep the body, but just give me a few dials and buttons, but leave the screen and all the goodies off.

Imagine how much better we all would be if we weren't so dependent on that screen. Remember how good photos use to look when you knew you got the shot the first time?? The only time the screen is great is when you are taking pictures of large groups and when you have children around b/c they want to see themselves instantly! Bahhh
    I'm heavilly thinking about sticking the D2H up for sale...amazing condition btw, and picking up a D1X.
    I'm not really shooting sports anymore, and I think I'm getting out of the PJ world...we'll see though.

BTW, the only way my D200 is going away is if it gets replaced with one of the following:
    D2X
    Fuji S3/S5
    The D200 is my portrait camera, but I'd like better WB.

2. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    You could just not use the screen?

3. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Definitely missing the point there. The screens are so big and distracting, how could you not use it. It's so hard to not hit the > button.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    You could get a Da Protector and paint or otherwise cover the inside before you attach it. Then you won't be able to view the screen even accidently. If you change your mind or want to sell the camera later, you can always restore it perfectly by removing your Da Protector again.

5. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Ok, get away from the no screen idea. Never in my life would I ever cripple anything to let it have less then 100% working ability. My problem is this:

[​IMG]

Where has the simplicity gone? Take a look at the back of a D1 series camera. Its just so simple back there...so...film like.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Photography is to make you happy.
    Does not matter what others think

7. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    ^ :smile:
    I need to make it like that...its too much of a job right now which is why I'm probably going to make a career move from PJ to IT (which is what I hold a degree with a double concentration in).

8. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Gale has it.

My decision point was a long time ago. Photography/images makes *me* happy.

9. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Zach, I do share in your enthusiasm for the D1H camera. I have it and the D1X and use the D1X when I think I am going to need to do some heavy duty cropping. Otherwise, it's the D1H that comes out each day.
    One of my favorite pet photos is from my D1H.
    large.

10. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Now that's crazy if you ask me :wink:

11. I really use the LCD only for checking the histogram to make sure I have the exposure right. Sure beats waiting two weeks for the prints to return form the developer!

It's just another tool which I am very happy to have available. And I sure like being able to change settings with my fingers while looking through the viewfinder - no fiddling with the menu!

If I ever master getting the exposure right every time before I die, maybe I'll stop chimping.

12. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    You're totally free to reject the technology or participate at whatever level you like but you should at least acknowledge that the leaps recently made in imaging technology have "democratized" photography. There are more people capturing, creating and sharing fabulous images than ever before and the quality blows my mind and I do think it's due primarily to the leaps made in imaging technology. Of course, everyone with the means to lay their hands on the technology can participate; to do so or not is your option.

The more I learn about what I can do with histograms, previewing, immediate post-viewing, etc. the more weapons I have to improve what I'm doing. Is it a guarantee? hell no. "A fool with a tool is still a fool."

13. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    It is not a question of being wrong, it is only a question of what you like and what you want to achieve.

14. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Hey, what's wrong with IT? :eek:

15. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    lol @ steve and dean

Well, I decided to shoot with nothing but the D2H yesterday for all of my assignments, and the colors and accuracy and sharpness of everything was dead on. Even the flash to overpower the sun was perfect. Here is the shot that ran front page today:
    I know, at this size you can't really see anything, but its off the papers website:
    [​IMG]
    here is the story:
    http://www.newbernsj.com/news/patrol_35322___article.html/state_traffic.html

I'll grab the larger version when I get into the office later today.

The way this shot is set up, I have it exposed for the road and trafic; focused on the patrolman, flash set up with a diffuser cocked to the left and angled up a bit to give him full flash exposure. Worked out exactly how I needed it.

16. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    B/c I'm not filthy rich and I have a perfect good working F3 and F4 :)
    But damn would I love it! hahhaa

17. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sell the D2x, D200 and go with the F1.

Move out to the sticks of Montana, don't get a phone, TV or take any modern conveniences with you.

Remember before the days of internet when you were glad to get a letter?

I spent several years growing up on a semi-working farm in rural Kansas. We had a telephone that you dialed with a rotary dial which was on a party line, drank well water, bucket fed calves, had chickens and a large garden.

We had an antennae for the sole TV (a Curtis Mathis) and were lucky to get 3 channels, and watched what our parents wanted or nothing at all.

We had chores and were too busy to be bored. In our spare time we read books.

We went into town about twice a week. We were lucky to go to the drive in movies once every few months.

My mother cooked/baked. The best meals I have ever had have been home-prepared. The smell of a baking coconut creme pie, fresh bread, etc can bring a smile to your face.

I think having responsibilities and using my time to read instead of playing mindless video games forged my charachter. Books like "Where the Red Fern Grows" gave me adventure.

There's a lot that can be said for simplicity.

You might have thought I was being sarcastic in my first sentence. In some way I was, but actually I was being truthful.

When I retire I'm moving away from the Metroplex and buying some acreage.
    I'm going to have a stock tank so I can wet a line and a wood shop so I can make things.

By the way, I'm 39.

18. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Man, we've been using LIDAR for over 5 years. Is NC that far behind??????

BTW, I'll be travelling to NC later this month. My mom and sister live in Charlotte.

19. you're right, my friend...

I already realized that the more you have, the more you would like to have.
    I too grew up in a similar environment, in a little town of ligurian hills, with just three or four buses at day to go and come back from what it was our "city", a town of 30.000 inhabitants, with Genoa always seen as a "metropolis". With my brother grew up by playing in the large garden of my parents' farm or did the seasonal works with my father (collecting hay or olives, to burn the former, to get oil the latter ones) and me too spent my youth calm in the house, while listening to "old" music (I was 10 years behind my "civilized" classmates, who never knew what classical music was), went to the church every sunday and played with other "country-boys" at hide-and-seek, soccer, bicycle races... Now of course, as many others, tech bite me with its "sweet" poison.. all easy and at once. But I am aware this is not the way. We'll become stupid, sooner or later. Unable to face whatever problem without the help of some tech. Just think to mobile phones: here in Italy until the end of 90's, none knew what they were, just top managers had one. Now we are the 3rd (third) country in the whole WORLD for mobile phones sold, after Japan and USA. Even little babies have one, it looks like their parents are more apprehensive and lacking of self confidence than their kids.
    Coming to photographic stuff, since I started using slides, no DSLR actually looks desirable to me. Probably, if I should go now for taking one, and despite having the D200, I'd go for the S5 Pro or the next Nikon D3 or whatever it is. Accustomed to the fine grain and immediate colour rendition of a slide (which developing process is transparent to me), no DSLR can give back such quality and chroma. Of course, DSLR are surely more practical but I'm sure someone of you remembers of the fact I wondered if shooting a wedding with slides could be said foolishness. Of course negative rolls have more "DR" than anything else, especially the b/w, but after viewing the results of studio work in our academy, all looked pale and dull compared to that. In these months, I've used much more my F80s with slides than D200. Going to the apennin and coming back with deep blues, green and other natural colours vividly rendered gives me a satisfaction that it's just unbelievable. Me too, if I had enough money to do that, I'd go shooting with that (or maybe I'd get a F6) and started a photographic school for boys and girls, not to leave them on their playstations for their whole lives. Newborns don't really know what they are missing while busy on their tech stuff, don't care if it's a pc, a playstation, a nintendo or a mobile phone or ipod. We are losing the deep sense of living. The real sense of beauty, of being aware around us there are others, there are trees, flowers, landscapes, people, skies, animals.. it looks like our whole universe is concentrated in some kind of plastic black box.

To me, just the fact to go to the apennin, far from the city usual mess, is a way to remain in touch with my past. Not to forget what I learned from it.
    True human relationships, for example. Or just a cup of coffee with a friend or an unknown after a card game..

Well, stop missing old times.. anyway I really can understand the "simplicity" Zachs refers to. Me too, even if with the D200 I can have all at hands, in someway I still prefer the F80s: Aperture mode, centre weighted, stop.