Am very shy of posting the pictures with Tamron 70-300 LD Di

After seeing some wonderful pictures shot with Nikon 500 VR recently, I am indeed very shy of posting the pictures shot with a run of the mill consumer zoom, the tamron 70-300 LD Di ( non VC/OC etc., ) as I am quite aware that this lens is like showing a candle against the lighting.

The fact is that I don't have any other lens longer than this one. But I rarely shoot animals. So I had no alternative than using this lens. I shot the pictures hand held.

I really don't know if the pictures are worth posting at all.

I request for your judgement.

_DSC6912.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 864533

View attachment 864535

View attachment 864536

I think that lens is crap and you should send it to me to dispose of it
for you... :tongue:

Kidding aside, super set of images...!

Clapping.gif

Nice. I had the same lens in Sony mount. It really is a decent preformer. I think I had an exceptional copy because no matter how I tried I never had any CA or other issues even when trying to induce it.

Never think your images are less important due to equipment. Make do with what you have, try to learn its in's and out's, and be proud, and you should be proud with these images, very nice. It takes more than equipment to make a shot. Thanks for sharing these.

You know, there was a time when many photographers thought that your lens and its Nikkor equivalent were the same. I never read anything conclusive on it thought.
Now the pictures. To begin with, why not using a tripod? You have done very well considering that these are hand held shots but I am sure you know how invaluable a tripod is with non VR lenses under these conditions.
In my humble opinion the last one is your best shot. No. 1 needs and adjustment of the WB.
The Bengal tiger has an awkward posing for my taste. It would have been much better if the face of the lion was under the light, not in the shadows like here. Sometimes just a little bit of patience pays off and I am quite sure that you know how to wait for the right shot at the right time.
The composition of the last shot is excellent and you gave his eyes plenty of room in the direction he was looking into, like it should be.
Nothing wrong with the lens and you can make the images even better with a tripod.
Remember, a tripod is not an accessory, it is a necessity.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Nice. I had the same lens in Sony mount. It really is a decent preformer. I think I had an exceptional copy because no matter how I tried I never had any CA or other issues even when trying to induce it.

Thanks for looking. I was inspired by one Alexring who posts on dpreview when i saw some stunning images shot by him with this very ordinary lens. I used it for the landscapes too.

_DSC6933.jpg

You know, there was a time when many photographers thought that your lens and its Nikkor equivalent were the same. I never read anything conclusive on it thought.
Now the pictures. To begin with, why not using a tripod? You have done very well considering that these are hand held shots but I am sure you know how invaluable a tripod is with non VR lenses under these conditions.
In my humble opinion the last one is your best shot. No. 1 needs and adjustment of the WB.
The Bengal tiger has an awkward posing for my taste. It would have been much better if the face of the lion was under the light, not in the shadows like here. Sometimes just a little bit of patience pays off and I am quite sure that you know how to wait for the right shot at the right time.
The composition of the last shot is excellent and you gave his eyes plenty of room in the direction he was looking into, like it should be.
Nothing wrong with the lens and you can make the images even better with a tripod.
Remember, a tripod is not an accessory, it is a necessity.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Thanks William for the comments and advise. I know the importance of the tripod but on that day the cats were moving so fast, I deceded in favour of hand holding lest I would miss the shots, although I carried the tripod. This is one with the lion in the light. I hope this is better.

_DSC6956.png

Another pose of the White Tiger

View attachment 864551

How about this shot of the Tiger? Is the WB ok?

View attachment 864552

The one of the fox like animal is very good. You can see what a difference it makes when you are focused on the eye and there is a catchlight.
Forget what others have. It is a losing battle. In three years that 500 mm will be outclassed by something far better.

Great shot on the last one. I like the catch light in his eye. Focus on the animal is sharp and crisp, nice bokeh in the background. Lighting is good and the soft cast of the shadow is pleasing. Very well done.
Dallas

C.C. I am sure by now you know there is nothing wrong with the lens. You have the experience to understand that a lens is only a tool and that its performance is highly dependent on how we do our part.
Yes, the lion and the Bengal tiger look much better in these shots but the Siberian tiger still needs work and a correction to the WB. The image appears underexposed according to the histogram and the light is too warm. I do not want you to misunderstand me, if you like it like it is, that is perfectly fine; after all it is your picture. I only make these comments with the purpose of making further refinements to the images. You are seasoned enough as a photographer to understand what I am saying.
I suspected you had a tripod and I know that at times it is not convenient to use it. That is the reason I own the 70-300 VR, knowing that unless the light levels are too low, the lens will do a great job to stabilize the image.
The fact that in my humble opinion those pictures need adjustments does not mean these are not quality work, on the contrary, you have done a remarkable job considering the conditions under which you were working and you have been very kind on showing me some more of your work for critique.
Always look at the color histogram in camera if not completely sure of your exposure and do the same upon opening the file in your software. I am sure you shoot RAW and the flexibility those files offer are very convenient.
Thank you for posting this new set of pictures.

William.

C.C. I am sure by now you know there is nothing wrong with the lens. You have the experience to understand that a lens is only a tool and that its performance is highly dependent on how we do our part.
Yes, the lion and the Bengal tiger look much better in these shots but the Siberian tiger still needs work and a correction to the WB. The image appears underexposed according to the histogram and the light is too warm. I do not want you to misunderstand me, if you like it like it is, that is perfectly fine; after all it is your picture. I only make these comments with the purpose of making further refinements to the images. You are seasoned enough as a photographer to understand what I am saying.
I suspected you had a tripod and I know that at times it is not convenient to use it. That is the reason I own the 70-300 VR, knowing that unless the light levels are too low, the lens will do a great job to stabilize the image.
The fact that in my humble opinion those pictures need adjustments does not mean these are not quality work, on the contrary, you have done a remarkable job considering the conditions under which you were working and you have been very kind on showing me some more of your work for critique.
Always look at the color histogram in camera if not completely sure of your exposure and do the same upon opening the file in your software. I am sure you shoot RAW and the flexibility those files offer are very convenient.
Thank you for posting this new set of pictures.

William.

Thanks William for the pains taken to analyse the pictures and your valuable suggestions made for improvement.

In India, fortunately lack of light is never an issue. In fact more light than necessary is an issue. This particular lens needs lot of light and stopped down, good pictures can be shot with it. As light here is abundant, it can be used to it's capacity.

Regarding the post processing, I am yet to come to terms with the softwares. I fully agree with you that corrections in the processing are required to be made to the pictures. But at my age, it is becoming difficult to cope up with the workflow in the CS or LR. May be I need to spend more time and make more effort to have a grip on them to the extent they can help my pictures look better. The same is with the tripod. As I have been shooting handheld for so many years, I find the tripod inconvenient to handle. I am sure that I have to get over it. I will surely follow your suggestion of viewing the histogram in the camera more regularly for making the corrections on the spot during the shooting.

Thanks again for seeing and critically reviewing the pictures. All your suggestions will go a long way for improvement of the quality of my pictures.

Nice shots!

I know how you feel though, I am a noob and still have lots to learn. I don't post too many shots either.

Very good work.

Thank you for your kind words CC. I do the best I can to try to help and, I am not saying I am always right.
Indeed, it will pay off to learn your software and what you can do with it. I see some flows in your visual design and cropping of the shots, something that can be fixed without issues but learning what the software can do is your step forward toward improving the images. Again, those are very nice images, they just need minor adjustments to make them even better.

William.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom