Amazing Film Shots

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by John C, Apr 19, 2007.

1. I happened across these in one of the flickr groups I follow.

They're the work of a guy whose username is Ducatirider - this is from his introduction to the work;

There's some really good stuff in there, and I encourage you to check it out.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulcrispin/sets/72157600006647300/

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Fascinating stuff John. It's especially pertinent now that there is an uneasy peace - Crispin sees the war as unendable, coming as he does from an nineteen eighties perspective. It does well to remember, and learn from, the past, eh?.

3. I've no doubt that in the eighties, it seemed utterly intractable to most people (I was only a nipper at the time, but I can't remember feeling particularly hopeful about things). The trick is to remember the past whilst not being trapped by it, I suppose, it doesn't seem particularly easy to do.

His images are very strong though - I like his use of contrast (both photographically speaking, and in terms of subject - e.g. the little girl walking to school past the soldiers) and perspective (those views along the rifles and down roads and alley ways) particularly.

4. Very poignant reminders of not too distant events that are hopefully well behind us. I was always interested in that situation as my great grandfather emigrated from Ireland to the UK in the early part of the century - changed his name from O'Brien to Bryan. :eek:

5. Who said; "Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it" ?

6. George Santayana

Rich

7. Last I was in the UK, the Catholic/Protestant thing seemed to be alive and well.

(I am an American because several hundred years ago my Catholic ancestors fled England for America)