Amazing Film Shots

I happened across these in one of the flickr groups I follow.

They're the work of a guy whose username is Ducatirider - this is from his introduction to the work;

It was always a dream of mine to be a photo journalist (still is) and on one of my tours of N.I. I was lucky enough to have a certain amount of free movement among the troops on tour there. This is a collection of those photos I took between 1986 and 87.

Most of the photos were with my trusty and brilliant Nikon F1 and any lens I could "borrow" from the stores. The film was also mostly Ilford HP5 and have been scanned using a Canoscan 8000F

I'll be scanning the most relevant of about a 1000 negatives throughout the next few weeks so keep coming back to check-up on what's new. If I get it right then the viewer should have a better understanding of the conditions and life of an operational soldier in N.I at that time.

There's some really good stuff in there, and I encourage you to check it out.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulcrispin/sets/72157600006647300/

Real Name
Chris
Fascinating stuff John. It's especially pertinent now that there is an uneasy peace - Crispin sees the war as unendable, coming as he does from an nineteen eighties perspective. It does well to remember, and learn from, the past, eh?.

I've no doubt that in the eighties, it seemed utterly intractable to most people (I was only a nipper at the time, but I can't remember feeling particularly hopeful about things). The trick is to remember the past whilst not being trapped by it, I suppose, it doesn't seem particularly easy to do.

His images are very strong though - I like his use of contrast (both photographically speaking, and in terms of subject - e.g. the little girl walking to school past the soldiers) and perspective (those views along the rifles and down roads and alley ways) particularly.

Very poignant reminders of not too distant events that are hopefully well behind us. I was always interested in that situation as my great grandfather emigrated from Ireland to the UK in the early part of the century - changed his name from O'Brien to Bryan. :eek:

Last I was in the UK, the Catholic/Protestant thing seemed to be alive and well.

(I am an American because several hundred years ago my Catholic ancestors fled England for America)

Latest threads

Top Bottom