Amazing time to be a photographer

I thankfully don't often get in this type of jam, but as I was running to get on the official ski boat pulling the tournament, this line up of lovely competitors shouted out for me to please stop and take their photo. Seems the camera phones were all just showing their dark silhouettes against the bright lake behind them. Of course I had no flash and the driver was threatening to leave without me to stay on schedule. With only my 105mm on the D500, I backed up and fired off a few quick shots without even spot metering or dialing in EV so I could get on the boat.

Here's the result with +2.3 exposure dialed in with ACR. Not great, but pretty amazing to me.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I thankfully don't often get in this type of jam, but as I was running to get on the official ski boat pulling the tournament, this line up of lovely competitors shouted out for me to please stop and take their photo. Seems the camera phones were all just showing their dark silhouettes against the bright lake behind them. Of course I had no flash and the driver was threatening to leave without me to stay on schedule. With only my 105mm on the D500, I backed up and fired off a few quick shots without even spot metering or dialing in EV so I could get on the boat.

Here's the result with +2.3 exposure dialed in with ACR. Not great, but pretty amazing to me.

View attachment 1674005
Very well done, Mitch. Modern cameras, even DX, have amazing shadow recovery capability.

Thanks, Jim. I've never bumped exposure up quite this much before. I had low expectations since I have never been too impressed with the files from the D500. This was a big surprise.
I have no experience with the D500, but my little Z50 has essentially the same sensor. Actually, it does a wee bit better at extremely high iso.

Just curious, was the background blown out before you upped the exposure in ACR?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no experience with the D500, but my little Z50 has essentially the same sensor. Actually, it does a wee bit better at extremely high iso.

Just curious, was the background blown out before you upped the exposure in ACR?
No, the background was well-exposed. I certainly could take a few minutes and blend exposures, but I was in a rush to get all of the photos posted. I had over 1500 images to cull through for the day.

Hi Pa, I have D500 and Z50 .
I prefer high iso files from Z50.

No, the background was well-exposed. I certainly could take a few minutes and blend exposures, but I was in a rush to get all of the photos posted. I had over 1500 images to cull through for the day.
Certainly understandable. With plenty of time, you could probably just increase the light in the shadows while leaving the highlight areas alone.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom