Amazon packing is nuts

I needed a Sony 1.4x teleconverter. My normal source would take too long and amazon had it to me in 2 days. Arrived today.
A $600 fragile fairly high tech item is in its normal box, packed in a padded envelope. No other packaging, just the product box in a padded envelope. Box was battered, but item seems ok.
My wife ordered 2 skeins of yarn through amazon. The yarn comes in a cardboard box with the air pillow packing material filling the rest of the box.
I guess they did not want the yarn to break, but sure didn't care at all about a lens.
Nuts.
Gary

Real Name
Andrew
I needed a Sony 1.4x teleconverter. My normal source would take too long and amazon had it to me in 2 days. Arrived today.
A $600 fragile fairly high tech item is in its normal box, packed in a padded envelope. No other packaging, just the product box in a padded envelope. Box was battered, but item seems ok.
My wife ordered 2 skeins of yarn through amazon. The yarn comes in a cardboard box with the air pillow packing material filling the rest of the box.
I guess they did not want the yarn to break, but sure didn't care at all about a lens.
Nuts.
Gary
Complain and complain hard to amazon about it. They need to know. I've had issues in the past with packaging (more than once). I've had them pack food items (protein bars) in with 5 reams of paper with no separation or padding. Food items were destroyed. They reshipped out new, but it was inconvenient. Other times they also offer refunds or discounts.

Real Name
Randy
They also sell open box as new
I bought a sigma 120-300 w 2 receipts in the box
I called the 1st owner to verify
Amazon said the practice is not illegal and offered me 15% to keep the lens

How things get packed runs the gamut from inadequate to excessive. My complaint about all the delivery services is that they typically put a package right in front of a garage door instead of on the porch. If we're out we would see it when we get home but if we're leaving the house it's likely it won't be seen and we'd back up onto it.

As suggested, I would contact Amazon about how the lens was packed, if only to get it on record in case a problem arises later on.

Complain and complain hard to amazon about it. They need to know. I've had issues in the past with packaging (more than once). I've had them pack food items (protein bars) in with 5 reams of paper with no separation or padding. Food items were destroyed. They reshipped out new, but it was inconvenient. Other times they also offer refunds or discounts.
How things get packed runs the gamut from inadequate to excessive. My complaint about all the delivery services is that they typically put a package right in front of a garage door instead of on the porch. If we're out we would see it when we get home but if we're leaving the house it's likely it won't be seen and we'd back up onto it.

As suggested, I would contact Amazon about how the lens was packed, if only to get it on record in case a problem arises later on.
Good luck complaining. They removed the link to report packing problems over a year ago. And if you use another route to complain (chat for example) they offer you a credit on your account. That's nice but the complaint never gets to anyone who can fix it.

And if you use another route to complain (chat for example) they offer you a credit on your account. That's nice but the complaint never gets to anyone who can fix it.
I would think that someone at Amazon is reviewing the statistics of reasons given for the credits. They may have figured out that it's cheaper to pack poorly up until a certain threshold of credit is paid out.

Last edited:
I complain every time there is an issue. I usually get some form of credit, prime extension or discount, wether it is sold by amazon direct or amazon marketplace.

Real Name
Andrew
Good luck complaining. They removed the link to report packing problems over a year ago. And if you use another route to complain (chat for example) they offer you a credit on your account. That's nice but the complaint never gets to anyone who can fix it.
If you don't try nothing will ever change. Honestly, an account credit is better than nothing and we are not 100% sure who gets the customer service metrics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a good idea. The damaged box could effect resale value. I needed the teleconverter this weekend, so I used it. It is fine, so I won't change it back. I will give them a call. I was just surprised, especially when so much unbreakable stuff I order comes packed well and this doesn't.
Gary

I would think that someone at Amazon is reviewing the statistics of reasons given for the credits They may have figured out that it's cheaper to pack poorly up until a certain threshold of credit is paid out.
If you don't try nothing will ever change. Honestly, an account credit is better than nothing and we are not 100% sure who gets the customer service metrics.
I agree that it's better than nothing. I always go ahead and complain. But the fact that Amazon has made it so hard to give feedback on packing is not an encouraging sign.

My last foray into the Amazon didn't end well. I usually avoid them, but my credit union had given me some Amzaon $$ for participating in a focus group. Ordered some adaptors for my new MBP 16". Lo and behold they were actually at the new Spokane Fulfillment Center, a scant 85 miles away. :)
Even better, it's just about a stone's throw away from the UPS airport depot. :) :)
I got 5 separate emails from amazon, each one moving the delivery down a day. :(
The package never made to UPS :( :(

2 weeks later Amazon credit me the money . . . but I still have this useless credit . . :( :( :(

Oh, and the part is now "permanently out of stock". :( :( :( :(

Who wants to be a billionaire? :devil:

Real Name
Andrew
I agree that it's better than nothing. I always go ahead and complain. But the fact that Amazon has made it so hard to give feedback on packing is not an encouraging sign.
Is it really that difficult? I just go to the contact section on the phone app and start a quick live chat. Usually over and done with in 5 minutes.

is there a different process you go through?

Talking about Amazon, just got this delivery today. Here's the Unboxing ....
Looks good, beautiful leather travel duffle bag 👍
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

About a year ago I ordered an accessory which is really useful for my hearing aids, a "Dri-Aid" jar filled with silicon beads..... So the package arrived and when I opened it, even as I was doing so, I thought, "uh, this isn't enough protection for a glass jar....." And, yeah, it wasn't. The jar, which had been enveloped also in plastic from the manufacturer, fractured the minute I began to remove the plastic cellophane wrapping, and yeah, I had the darned beads going everywhere!!!! Probably there are still a few lurking around underneath the table legs or somewhere else in the house even now..... At any rate, I promptly complained to Amazon and got the refund, etc., and found another source for that particular product.

Thankfully no difficulties with anything really expensive from Amazon, although at times I have been rather bemused at how something which is potentially fragile and could be damaged from time to time arrives in rather skimpy packaging while something else which wouldn't be damaged no matter what, is delivered in packaging meant to protect it from every possible source of damage.....Strange!

Real Name
Ken
I always believe in giving feedback about good or bad service, but in this case, I would not expect any changes given the warehouse/shipping model that Amazon uses. My understanding is that there is minimal time to pack up items for shipment, so it does not surprise me to hear this. But to be fair, I have had delicate items shipped from B&H and from Olympus that lacked adequate padding. I suspect that given their volume, it is probably cheaper for them to deal with the problems than to change the whole system.

--Ken

About a year ago I ordered an accessory which is really useful for my hearing aids, a "Dri-Aid" jar filled with silicon beads..... So the package arrived and when I opened it, even as I was doing so, I thought, "uh, this isn't enough protection for a glass jar....." And, yeah, it wasn't. The jar, which had been enveloped also in plastic from the manufacturer, fractured the minute I began to remove the plastic cellophane wrapping, and yeah, I had the darned beads going everywhere!!!! Probably there are still a few lurking around underneath the table legs or somewhere else in the house even now..... At any rate, I promptly complained to Amazon and got the refund, etc., and found another source for that particular product.

Thankfully no difficulties with anything really expensive from Amazon, although at times I have been rather bemused at how something which is potentially fragile and could be damaged from time to time arrives in rather skimpy packaging while something else which wouldn't be damaged no matter what, is delivered in packaging meant to protect it from every possible source of damage.....Strange!
I use a drying cabinet for my hearing aids. I found them to be better than drying jars. Need to ensure the hearing aid batteries are removed prior to using.

I have a couple of these units Phonak D-Dry Drying and Cleaning Light Kit.
https://www.phonak.com/content/dam/...ndCare/images/User_Guide_D_Dry_210x280_GB.pdf

Back to the subject at hand, I've been quite lucky over the years getting stuff from Amazon. I've had deliveries from the US, UK and Australia. Always packed well.

I use a drying cabinet for my hearing aids. I found them to be better than drying jars. Need to ensure the hearing aid batteries are removed prior to using.

I have a couple of these units Phonak D-Dry Drying and Cleaning Light Kit.
https://www.phonak.com/content/dam/...ndCare/images/User_Guide_D_Dry_210x280_GB.pdf

Back to the subject at hand, I've been quite lucky over the years getting stuff from Amazon. I've had deliveries from the US, UK and Australia. Always packed well.
I don't know whether or not one would need to have a drying/cleaning light kit specific to whatever their actual hearing devices are, made by the same manufacturer or not.... ? Right now the manufacturer of my sound processors doesn't seem to offer this kind of thing, so I've always just stuck with the good old Dri-Aid jar. My sound processors do not connect to ear molds or go into my ears in any way, so that definitely helps as far as keeping them reasonably dry and fairly hygienic overall. A gentle, light wipe with a minimally-moistened antibacterial cloth can take care of any potential issues. The only times moisture can be somewhat of a problem is during humid, rainy days, especially if I happen to get caught out in the rain!

Getting back on-topic, every now and then Amazon, UPS, FedEx or even the USPS mess up when delivering a package and will put the item in front of a neighbor's door in my condominium apartment complex. In my building, not so bad -- but when in another building, that's really a pain! Actually had a (slight) mis-delivery happen today. I got the email that Amazon had delivered a package to me, so looked out and yeah, they had -- but not to my unit, but rather to the one across the entryway from me! No harm done, but annoying nonetheless. As for how they pack things, it's definitely a hit-or-miss proposition with them but most of the time items have arrived safely.

JLH

I ordered a new higher end Samsung tablet for my wife for a present. The Amazon contract delivery person (in his personal vehicle, not the official Amazon van we see now) stopped short of the porch and just threw the package. It bounced off the step and crashed into the my glass storm door. We were lucky it didn't bust the glass as it made a heck of a loud bang!. I immediately got in touch with Amazon and reported this with the order number and time it came so that driver could be tracked. I also offered to send them the video from my Ring camera which caught the whole thing. This was normal stuff for this guy. He had even turned in a report that he didn't take a picture of the package on the porch as he "handed it to the owner"! I told the Amazon rep that this sort of thing really discouraged people from buying high end products only to have them trashed by the low paid delivery person. I noticed that not long after that I never saw this loser doing deliveries in this area again.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom