1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Amazon Pre-order Complaint

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Marques, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Anyone ever pre-order from Amazon? They accepted my pre-order 2 weeks ago for the Sigma 50 1.4 and today I get a note that I didn't get one and I have to wait until late August.

That's just weak. How hard is it for a company like Amazon to turn off pre-orders once allocated stock is exhausted? B&H doesn't have this problem. I sent them feedback today and just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience.

2. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

So, Amazon accept say, 10 pre-orders and Sigma only give them 5 units. How is that Amazon's fault ? Sigma might have promised them 10 units but failed to deliver.
    Happens to B&H,Adorama etc as well.

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Happens all the time when deliveries do not meet expectations. Trust me, container ships lose containers at sea on a regular basis, resulting in vendors not always receiving the goods they expect to receive. (And I'm sure there are other factors as well).

The good thing is that Amazon at least makes no problem of you cancelling your order in those cases, so if you stumble upon somebody else who does have it in stock you can order there.

There is a simple, though unsatisfactory solution: do not pre-order. But that's hard when you're in need of a NAS fix!

4. I have no problem when there is an unexpected shortage. I don't see this happen at B&H all the time. B&H in my experience only accepts orders they can fill then they turn off the button. Amazon even did this with a video game pre-order - took far too many orders.

My issue with Amazon is whether they actually keep track and turn the button off or just keep taking orders regardless of allocation. I think we'd all agree that every pre-order is NOT a mystery in terms of number of units expected.

5. Exactly, must pre-order...need the lens...help me!!!!!!! :tongue:

BTW, just noticed we're neighbors. My favorite pizza on earth is in your town on Route 46. Pizza Town USA.

6. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Aah, Pizza Town.. I've been there a couple of times :) 

My son prefers the delivery service of Dominos, online, with minute to minute progress ("Waheeb just put your pizza in the oven"). Personally, I like places like Pizza Town a lot more. I'll see if I can get a picture for you this weekend.

Where do you live? Garfield? We should go out on some photo shoot on garret mountain or something!

7. Joe
    Amazon does this all the time. B&H will not accept orders they can not fill. I wish everyone did. I feel the same as you and I do not use amazon.

8. You might find this (pre-ordering through B&H) interesting:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124449

This is not the first time I've heard of them accepting pre-orders and immediately charging your credit card.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.