Amazon Scam

After reading Desmond's thread on Dog Scammers I thought I should post this to alert other members about something that happened to me on Amazon.
My wife enjoys drinking Propel lemon flavored water. We normally buy it in the grocery store but the lemon flavor seems to be the most popular and sells out quickly. I started buying 12 packs of the 24 oz bottles on Amazon for $11. The second time I went to order more the price had jumped to $35. OK $35 for 12 bottles of water. Something has to be wrong. I kept checking the price every day until about a week later the price was back to $11 again so I bought more. The next day it was back to $35. The $11 to $35 scenario went on for quite some time but I would only buy at the $11 price. I decided to post a negative review on the seller which Amazon would not accept due to my reference to the seller's intelligence level. A few weeks later the price stayed at the $11 price for quite some time. In fact it's been about 6 months now that it has stabilized at $11. After seeing this I have come up with a theory. Every time I purchased the water the seller tried to push setting up a subscription plan where they would ship product at a predetermined level and just keep us in supply without having to reorder. Then it occurred to me, the seller was most likely shipping to customers and billing them at the $35 rate and then lower the price to $11 to attract new business. How many people don't check their credit card statement thoroughly or discover it too late? I have absolutely zero proof this is what happened but if you subscribe to these type of plans for shopping be sure to check you credit card statements.

Wondering - did you verify it was the same seller every time? But overal I think Amazon is out of control and now find their prices many times are higher than loca retails - sometimes even when “shipped and sold” by Amazon and almost always when sold on their “marketplace” model.

Since you mention a seller, it sounds like these are not bought directly from Amazon, which I usually prefer all else being equal. If another seller is considered, it's useful to first check their ratings.
I'll be honest I really didn't pay that much attention to the actual seller name.
Once I made my comment everything seemed to change as far as the price gouging.
Edit Below:
I was able to go back to my purchase history and discovered that the problem times were sold by an outside company. After my complaint the orders have been fulfilled by Amazon.

Last edited:
The last time I bought anything from Amazon I was “given” a free unsolicited 30 day trial membership to their “Prime”. I could find no way to terminate their freebie, other than to let it wither on the vine after the trial period ended. I rarely purchase anything on Amazon, but I won’t pay Mr Bezos a monthly fee to have something shipped to me in 2 days. He’s rich enough already!

BTW my purchase was 4 DVDs. One arrived in 5 days, but after 2 weeks I got a notice saying the other 3 were beings sourced from England and it would take about 4-6 weeks. There was no notification on the DVD order page indicating being sourced in “offshore”.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Wondering - did you verify it was the same seller every time? But overal I think Amazon is out of control and now find their prices many times are higher than loca retails - sometimes even when “shipped and sold” by Amazon and almost always when sold on their “marketplace” model.

I find Amazon prices are on the high side for many items. I was looking for a headphone amp and found Amazon and the Amazon Marketplace sellers were €200 or more expensive than a bricks and mortar shop in Monza which had the best price. The same with some high end Headphones which again I found €200 cheaper from a retailer.

They wanted €55 for an out of catalogue Jazz CD that I found on Discogs for €10 + €10 shipping

For camera gear I have a couple of good retailers, where I can try stuff before buying. Again there is no advantage buying from Amazon.

I still use them for books though.

We have a lot of items on the Amazon subscription service, we signed up when the covid thing was starting up.
When the price changes we get an email from Amazon notifying us, with a link to our subscribed products should we want to make any changes. It’s pretty convenient.

I searched Amazon and could not find a record of my review since they rejected it.
In a nutshell, I remarked that the $11 price is very comparable to what I pay locally.
To go from $11 to $35 simply demonstrates the seller definitely has placed his head in a body cavity where it should not be. I was surprised they rejected it. I really thought I watered it down quite a bit.

Unfortunately many people don't look at the right-hand side of the screen where it is made clear if you are buying from Amazon or Amazon Marketplace (=anyone).
Yep...you aren't just buying a specific product, you're buying a specific product from a specific seller at a specific time. Nothing really shady going on, just have to pay attention when on the product page as to which version you're buying.

Stick with items sold by amazon though, otherwise it's a gamble.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom