Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

It was only a matter of time...

Yup. Agents and publishers days were numbered the first day all digital medium came out. And that applies to virtually any creative genre, be it books, or music, or magazines (blogosphere, anybody?). The need for a middleman disappears when you can do it yourself.

Personally I think it's good for consumers. It gives us access to more variety than what some big record exec or publishing house wants the world to see.

Real Name
Doug
FWIW, I think this is an inevitable move. The Internet has been wringing cost, time-to-market, and middle-men out of the goods and services value chain. Publishers and agents are simply the latest to be affected.

This could even be a very good thing for authors and readers.

I did not read the entire article, but publishers are NOT really being cast aside. Someone has to publish your book, unless you publish it yourself.

Amazon is just acting as the publisher, even though this may set aside many other "print" publishers, assuming Amazon is publishing in digital media form. Be informed that there are many, myself included, who like to read a book in print form. I also like to read on a Kindle or Tablet as well. Bottom line, I don't think the print media form will disappear anytime soon. JMHO

I did not read the entire article, but publishers are NOT really being cast aside. Someone has to publish your book, unless you publish it yourself.

Amazon is just acting as the publisher, even though this may set aside many other "print" publishers, assuming Amazon is publishing in digital media form. Be informed that there are many, myself included, who like to read a book in print form. I also like to read on a Kindle or Tablet as well. Bottom line, I don't think the print media form will disappear anytime soon. JMHO

I hope not. I love books and, even though I've tried, can't read on a digital device.

This may be a matter of semantics, but Amazon is primariry acting as the seller, not as the publisher, and if it is acting as a publisher it is not doing it in the traditional way:
  • Providing an advance (sometimes) -- Amazon won't
  • Advertising and promoting the book (sometimes) -- Amazon won't (except what they do at their website at no cost for themselves)
  • Taking 75% to 90% of the revenue (always) -- Amazon takes 25% to 30%

The good news is, from what I understand, that book publishers use a revenue model that is less predatory than that of music publishers, so they should be able to adapt easier to the new world. Unlike music publishers there are real costs involved with printed books and they should be able to work with lower royalties as cost sink at the same time.

Print might never really go away--especially for “coffee table books” but it can be expected that effectively it will for the regular text-only novel. For those that do prefer to read their book on dead trees, there will not be books of the regular press but print-on-demand instead.

Book publishers will see their role diminished to the luxury books, and to authors that want to sell their books in different languages. But that means dealing with best-selling authors who can demand much better contracts than they get right now. On the other hand the publishing risk of those books is much lower as well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom