AMD CPU questions for the geeks

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Kerry Pierce, May 5, 2007.

1. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Anyone really up on the socket compatibility for AMD processors? My MB is 3 years old, an ASUS A7n8x-x, with a Socket A, Athlon XP 3000+ or 3200+ processor.

The MB docs indicate that it supports faster CPU's. I can't seem to find any Socket A CPU's that are faster than the one I have and can't find the info on socket compatibility on AMD's site. :Confused:

Anybody know if I can plop a faster CPU in this board? I just put 3 gigs of new RAM and a new video card in it, so it's running pretty well now. So, if I could get a decent speed increase with a new CPU, that would be cool. :smile:

Thanks!

2. I believe you are referring to the XP 3000+ which came in 333 and 400FSB versions. The 3200+ only came in 400FSB.

Unfortunately, you are right on the other points, the A7N8X-X only supports the fastest Socket A CPU available, which is the 3200+ (supposedly there was a 3400+ as well but hardly worth looking into as well)

The only other option would be to go to an Intel setup, where you could find a Core 2 Duo 4300 and a board like the ASRock Conroe865PE. This would allow you to move to a better processor, keep your old ram and video card as well. The only caveat here might be your power supply, as it might not have the necessary 4pin power plug for CPU power.

There aren't many solutions which will allow you to use your old RAM + video card.

However, given that DDR2 ram is fairly cheap now ($45 CAN for 1GB PC5400 DDR2), you may actually be better off going with a full DDR2 setup. Your old ram is worth some decent money. If you can sell off your old parts along with the ram, this upgrade might not cost too much but will net you some nice speed gains.

Just as a note, if you have IDE devices, most newer intel boards do not have many IDE ports (1 only for 2 devices). If you go with an nvidia570-Intel board, I believe you end up with 2 ports but these boards are pricey.

3. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Thanks for the responses, guys. :biggrin:

I had assumed that there wouldn't be one available, but wanted to be sure.

The new ram and video card have already made a significant difference in the performance of this old beast, so I'll stick with it until something else fails. I'd rather not build a new system now. I have to buy the wife a new system and there is always more camera stuff to buy. :wink:

4. If you have put in DDR RAM’s you can get a Socket 939 Motherboard and Athlon 64 X2 CPU for ~$150 from Tigerdirect. If you have DDR2 memory you can get a socket AM2 motherboard and Athlon 64 X2 4600 for $176. But do you really need an upgrade now?

5. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Yes, this MB takes DDR400 PC3200 DIMMs. Putting in a new MB would probably mean a big hassle with XP SP2. Your last question is the same one I pondered for several days. The 3gigs of new RAM and new video card have made a nice overall improvement, especially with photo editing. So, I'm happy with it the way it is. If I can put off upgrading for another year or so, that would be a good thing.

I just finished setting up the wife's new Compaq PC running Vista. I'm not impressed with the speed or cutsie stuff that Vista offers, at least on her machine. It's an Athlon 64 4000+ with 1 gig ram. It prolly needs another gig of ram to run Vista properly.... As is, it isn't as responsive as my old XP machine. :biggrin:

6. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm in the same boat, A7N8X-E mb, recently upgraded to an Athlon XP 3200+ that I found on eBay for an outrageous price:frown: ! Thought about adding memory but couldn't justify it since any DDR I buy will be worthless when I finally upgrade the mb/processor.

I'd have gone the full upgrade route but there's so much great Nikon glass out there to spend a grand on.... :biggrin:

Bill

7. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Wow, Bill..... I've just finished upgrading my system, which has been mostly down for the last 8 days. I replaced the MB, ram and CPU. You could have had my xp 3200+ for shipping costs..... It's just sitting on the floor waiting for a photo session and then the dumpster, I suppose.

8. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Kerry,

Thanks for the offer but it's been a couple months since I paid the outrageous price of $139 for an obsolete CPU and now I have one. At least it was NOS....

Is your RAM good? I could really use another 512x2 of DDR and I'd be willing to pay you for it.

Let me know and thanx,

Bill

9. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Hi Bill,

AFAIK, the RAM is fine. I have 3 of the 512 PC 3200 DIMMs, with Samsung chips. Shoot me an email if you want and we can discuss it. Dunno what they're worth. I know that new, 1gig sticks are less than $100.

10. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    If the 3200+ is the 333mhz bus version, I'd be interested in buying it from you...

11. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Kerry,

Thanks for the offer! I checked my mb manual and I only have 3 RAM slots so another 512 would just get me to 1.5 gb. I was hoping to get 2 in it so I think it's just about time to bite the bullet and go the full upgrade route. :frown:

I've been putting this off for about a year now and still not looking forward to it at all.... :frown:

Thanx,

Bill

12. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I can't recall the bus speed version, Lisa. But, the price is right. You can have it for shipping costs. Or if you can wait until the Balloonfest get together in June, I'll bring it then. :biggrin:

13. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Yes, 3 slots is all there is. FWIW, you might consider upgrading to 1 gig sticks. I did that for 3 gigs total, plus a new vid card, shortly before XP trashed out on me. I thought it made a pretty nice difference in performance, while avoiding the pain of a full upgrade with reinstallation of everything.

The only reason I did this new machine upgrade, was due to having to do the full reinstallation anyway.

14. jaime4i

jaime4i Guest

is your ram set-up to Dual Channel? try overclocking your cpu to increase speed.. im using that type of rig before, but now i upgraded to AMD 64bit 3200+ and Epox 9NPA+ Ultra board. :)

15. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm not in any big hurry....we've got graduation to get thru between now and then, so there won't be any time to take the computer apart! :biggrin:

16. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Okay, no problem, Lisa. I'll bring it with me to the Balloonfest. You'll probably need to refresh the heat sink cream. The CPU fan was working, but dunno how long they last. It's 2.5 years old. It is one of the AMD fans that came with the heat sink and CPU. :smile: