American Guild of Organists wants to use my photo.

How would you guys approach this AGO group wanting to use my photo? :confused:

1) If they're for profit, how do I go about licensing and charging for the photo? :confused:

2) If they're nonprofit or charity, how do I protect myself and give them rights for this one event? Of course in this situation, all I'd ask for is my photo have my name and contact info accredited somehow for exposure. :wink:

This photo is copyrighted, so I need to do this the legal way to protect my work, my copyright, and to ensure they get limited legal use of my photo. :smile:

Dear Mr. Culver,

The Nashville Chapter of the American Guild of Organists is hosting the 2012 National Convention in Nashville. About 2,000 of our colleagues will join us July 1-6. We are preparing the art for the website and the cover for the Program Book, and request permission to use your wonderful photograph of the Nashville Skyline with the General Jackson found on the Nashville.gov site. [ http://www.nashville.gov/photo_gallery/cityscapes/03.asp 3rd row across, 4th row down]

Please advise how we can obtain permission and the copy of the photograph.

Very truly yours,

D***** M*****

Program Book Chair

Nashville Chapter, American Guild of Organists

www.ago2012.org

Thanks, all.
:biggrin:

Your copyright is automatically protected, that's a given. What you will do, for free or charge, is give them a license to use the image. The license should state for how long, where they can use the image and where they can't (ie: only for specific website and program cover), and also the length of time they can use it, etc. Be very careful on this wording because, if you don't limit it, they'll just use it wherever they please.
I'm quite sure the organizers of the convention are getting paid, the hotels are getting paid, the food service people are getting paid. The AGO has even commissioned works for the convention. Your photography work has a value. Non-profit doesn't mean everyone is working for free.

Third that motion! Non profit does not mean they don't have any budget. You decision on price or no price, but don't let anyone plead poverty.

Third that motion! Non profit does not mean they don't have any budget. You decision on price or no price, but don't let anyone plead poverty.

I doubt they did. Reading the very polite letter all they do is asking "how can we obtain permission" - I don't see them pleading poverty or asking for a freebie.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Well, to be blunt, and as a past member way way back, and a current member of similar small national education based organizations, if you request a huge fee, you will get nothing. They will find an image some where else.

I would suggest a small use fee of around $50.00 for the use on the website and program use for the duration of the convention.

Remember their money comes primarily from memberships only, and the job listing fees. And a large part of the commissioned works probably also come from the membership dues. So I am sure the funds are limited. Sure they have fees to attend the conference, but a lot of that is probably being used to run the convention.

Most if not all of the chapters are tax exempt groups, and their national and state and regional office positions are all volunteer. This is not like a national large tax exempt group with paid executives.

For your information only, and only a suggestion.

Well, to be blunt, and as a past member way way back, and a current member of similar small national education based organizations, if you request a huge fee, you will get nothing. They will find an image some where else.

I would suggest a small use fee of around $50.00 for the use on the website and program use for the duration of the convention.

Remember their money comes primarily from memberships only, and the job listing fees. And a large part of the commissioned works probably also come from the membership dues. So I am sure the funds are limited. Sure they have fees to attend the conference, but a lot of that is probably being used to run the convention.

Most if not all of the chapters are tax exempt groups, and their national and state and regional office positions are all volunteer. This is not like a national large tax exempt group with paid executives.

For your information only, and only a suggestion.

Thanks for the info! :smile:

John, PM sent

Can't thank you enough! :smile:

I used your contract and invoice with a few slight changes to fit my particular situation and AGO has accepted my humble offer of just $50 for my time dealing with it and in return I get some of my work out there with credit to me and my contact info. A win/win in my opinion! :smile:

I also asked for a program book and for him to let me know the name and print date of the magazines so I can buy them and use them as references in my resume.

This was his reply:

Good morning,

Thanks for your quick response. I appreciate your thoroughness in checking on our organization. On the local level, we are a volunteer organization; the national leadership is paid, of course. Our local chapter has 232 members and is one of the largest in the country. We have been honored by being chosen to host the National Convention in 2012 – the smallest city ever to be chosen – and except for Atlanta, the only other Southern city to host a convention. The dates of our Convention are July 1-6, 2012.

I am the general editor and Chair of the Program Book Committee for our Convention. I have some wonderful people helping me and Robertson Design in Franklin are the artists executing the book.

The answers to your questions:

2,500 240-page program books will be given to registrants and advertisers.

Your photograph will appear in a montage on the cover of the program book, which also will be used as the masthead for the website (AGO2012.org) and the masthead for some print advertising pieces in professional magazines.

Your kindness is appreciated.

Very truly yours,
D***** M*****

Thank again for the help, all! :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom