American Mink

Real Name
Dan
I went to Huntington SP(South Carolina) to shoot a few birds yesterday morning and ran across a couple of mink. One of them was kind enough to pose long enough for an image in the early morning light. It was quite a surprise as I didn't now that they lived around here. Growing up here I spent countless hours in the woods and marshes and never saw one. According to the authorities on the subject their range includes nearly all of the USA and Canada. Go figure.

1) American mink image captured yesterday at Huntington SP, South Carolina. D850/500mm PF
p3807060737-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) And one captured in 2018 3500 miles away in Prince William Sound, Alaska. D810/Nikon 200-500mm
p2881095460-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
nice shots buddy

if it wasn't you I'd have a hard time believing there are mink in SC

Real Name
Dan
...if it wasn't you I'd have a hard time believing there are mink in SC
I was sure surprised to see them. There were two of them. Presumably a mated pair. In my youth I spent a lot of time in the woods around here. I mean a LOT of time. Never saw one. I knew they live up in the mountains. I believe folks up there refer to them as weasels.

Real Name
Randy
I was sure surprised to see them. There were two of them. Presumably a mated pair. In my youth I spent a lot of time in the woods around here. I mean a LOT of time. Never saw one. I knew they live up in the mountains. I believe folks up there refer to them as weasels.
I didn't think they could handle August here and February

Real Name
Dan
Thanks, Steve. Looks like it's been a cold winter. We wimped out and flew south. Won't return until April.

Yes, our snow here is over 8 feet deep, and it has only warmed up to 0° once in the past few weeks. I'll fly down to Utah in March but it is to help my best friend go through a total knee replacement. I'll be there until he can drive himself to get to therapy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom